Urgggggg Mile-a-Minute...

So here I am working on my first Mile-a-Minute afghan...I did the first 4 strips, sewed them together as I finished, then along came the fifth strip, which I did at work, and lo and behold, it is WAY too long, like 3 inches!!!! :think Urgggggggggg..so obviously I don't crochet at work with the same tension as at home...so I am trying NOT to frog the WHOLE thing, and get me whits about me again to start another strip...

Just venting,. thanks for listening

oh no! well.. a lesson learned? *lol* I've gotta try find the good in it. I am curious as to why your tension would alter in your surroundings *lol*

lol Shell, I "THINK" the reasoning is because I was doing it too fast so I didn't get "caught"...lol, lesson learned thanks for helping me find the good in it..

That's entirely possible. Still bad luck though. I know when I crochet in class, my tension changes because I can go from crocheting to writing or typing at any given time.

For once in my life (and I really DO mean ONCE! LOL) I got smart and checked all my strips BEFORE I started joining on my first MAM. At least it's easier to correct than a short one!

Well, on a MAM, it's not easy to correct, as you've got to undo the WHOLE thing, as you are going AROUND your first strip, which was probably too long. Are you sure you have the right number of rows in your center strip? Every time I've had a MAM strip too long/too short, that's been the culprit for me!

(ANd I'm not telling you HOW MANY times that's happened!)

But, so you're not feeling alone, I put one too many rows on my MAM strip today and didn't notice until I was joining. Now, one row wasn't a big deal, so I undid my joining (was slip-stitch joining, not whipstitch, so it came out easily) and just "made up" those three stitches as I joined, so it isn't noticeable.....

I just finished a m-a-m today and I know a few of my strips were too long because of the tension. I wasn't much in the mood to take it out so I just scrunched or tugged accordingly to make them fit together. I had the same number of stitches so it worked out ok. It didn't really mess up the afghan much either or at least not so much that a non-crocheter (who will be receiving the afghan) would notice.

Wait!

Don't frog the entire edge!

Cut - - -yes pick up a scissor and CUT the edge only color at the point of the desired length. Make sure that you cut on the correct edge of the strip so that you can frog back to the same spot on the opposite side of the edge. Frog until the desired length and let that yarn just "wait". DON'T CUT IT. Now frog the center to the desired length and cut off leaving enough (as usual) to weave in later.

Now pick up your hanging piece of the edge color (which will be longer than necessary) and crochet your edge!

Voila! Work in your ends and no one will ever know the difference!:)

Jeez, Karen!!! Where were you a MONTH ago when I frogged four rounds off of my MAM strip?

Oh, wait - it wouldn't have mattered, that strip was too short, not too long. But then again, if I had frogged the ouside colors, then added onto the inside colors as I went, then it still would have saved me time. I'll keep this in mind for next time!

I am curious as to why your tension would alter in your surroundings *lol*

I was working on a baby blanket once during the World Series. When i got through, you could tell where the games got interesting as the stitches got tighter and made the blanket "buckle" in some areas. :blush

Fortunately, it kinda evened itself out in the wash, but it was pretty funny!

I was working on a baby blanket once during the World Series. When i got through, you could tell where the games got interesting as the stitches got tighter and made the blanket "buckle" in some areas. :blush

Fortunately, it kinda evened itself out in the wash, but it was pretty funny!

How funny - same thing happened to me only it was when University of KY Basketball team was playing in the NCAA tournament and I was crocheting my girlfriend a baby afghan. Didn't FROG it, worked around it and gave it to her with a note explaining why it might look "different" during certain rows of the afghan. She and her husband cried with laughter over it. She still has the note in her son's baby book. ;)

Archived