I Got The Yarn Winder

:clap I posted a few weeks ago about a yarn winder, cause I had no idea wha it was. Anyways it was at an auction and I got it. I would have had it for really cheap. But there was an old man that for some reason wanted it. (I think for his wife:manyheart ) Well I wouldn't give up and got it for $40. The best part is it is in great shape but really old. It had german markings and numbers all over it. Soo anyways I wanted to thank everyone you told me about them,:hug I also got a two boxes of threaded scone yearn, and two boxes of pattern books. (One I gave to my BF mother, she does needle point and stuff like that)

So the addicition rolls on, But I just wanted to share.

Now that question is, does anyone know where there are step by step instructions for this thing?:blush

Hi Calesmommy

From the pic you posted before, it's a swift you've bought rather than a ball winder, isn't it? You use it with the type of yarn that comes in hanks (long twisted sausage) rather than pull-skeins or balls.

At the bottom is a clamp so you can fix it to your table. Then untwist the hank. It will usually be tied in a couple of places, so snip off the ties carefully. Now if you put your hands through the middle you should have a big circle of yarn.

Put the circle onto the swift so it's being held by the V-shapes at the end of the arms, and pull or push on the diamond part until the arms are holding the yarn taut. Now you just take the end and put it in the slot of your ball winder, or start winding your ball if you're doing it by hand. The swift should spin as you use the yarn and keep everything from tangling.

Good luck!

I recently got a ball winder on eBay and realized early on that I would need a swift... I looked around and found one not too expensive (also on eBay) and I LOVE it!!! The kids think I'm opening a yarn factory:lol when I have my stuff spread all over the kitchen table, but I just love the hand-dyed yarns and they were a major pain in rear until I got this combo of handy gadgets!!!!!! :cheer Yeah for CrocheT:cheer

Archived