Has anyone been an instructor at Michael's?

I went to Michael's yesterday, and on the way out I saw a sign that they were currently hiring instructors for several things, among them crochet. Now, I'm a confident crocheter, but I've never really taught anyone to do it. (Plus, I'm a leftie and that would probably complicate things.)

Has anyone taught at Michael's? What do they expect you to do/teach? Is it like a once-a-week in the evenings thing? Does it pay well? By the hour? Per student? Do I have to use all Michael's products? Do they provide them for me? Do I have to buy there to teach? What am I not asking?

I'm asking a lot of questions. But I'm a SAHM and I've never had a (paying) job before. (I'm a little nervous about it. Can you tell?)

Help?

I can only comment on the left/right thing as I have only taught individuals. If you try it, you CAN most likely crochet right handed, especially if you've been crocheting a while. Last week I was teaching a friend who was a lefty, while I'm a righty.She does some things right handed so we tried right handed but it felt very awkward for her- so on a whim I tried left handed and could do it! Admittedly my tension was bad, but once she undertood the motion of hook; mostly she needed help "seeing" where to put it. I spent the majority of the "teaching" time encouraging her, correcting placement and giving tips.I don't think "handedness" would be an issue in getting the job.:hook Give it a try! Good luck.:cheer

I was instructed at Michael's yesterday to learn to knit (don't think me a traitor - I'm broadening my horizons!) and she gave me her card with e-mail... she was really nice. Maybe I could put you in contact with her and you could ask her some questions...

I was going to apply to do crochet instruction there but they wanted someone that did knit and crochet...

I looked into teaching a class at Michaels' adn was about to get everything going but was unable to get a responce from the designer of the pattern I was planning to use when I emailed her for permission to use it...and there was a time frame I needed to get everything back to the store, so I missed it...

Here's what I found out....you're going to have to give them a couple of crochetted items that you've made that they can display at the store, as well as write up a little bio of yourself. You're going to have to submit the pattern & a finished sample of the piece to the class co-ordinater before they will approve the class. You will have to tell them what you plan to teach, what age/skill level students you want to have in your class, and how many students you will allow (a max. headcount). Unless it is a company class (in which case they will tell you what you're teaching and they will set the price), you will also have to tell them how much you want the price to be (you'll keep 90%, they'll get 10% of the class price). You will tell them when you want to do the class....like you decided if each class will be 1 1/2 hrs or 2 hrs, plus how many classes there will be...two classes, three classes....and what day & time of day you want to do the class...they'll have to work with you to schedule it out, to make sure that their classroom is free during the time you'd want, and that you're free when they'd want you there...You'd also have to go to the store and work an open house (either one or two) in the 30 days before the class started, to promote the class, talk to customers, and basically try to fill the seats....what you get for all this...you get 90% of the class price and some sort of store discount (I wasn't told how much of a discount cause I didn't get everything in on time)...plus you get out of the house and away from the kids...as a SAHM myself, I think that's just as big a thing as the $$ and discount LOL!!!

Hope this helps!!!

Jessie

I taught 2 beading classes at Michael's in 1998.

Back then anyways you got like a percentage of the class fee per student. It's a once or twice thing depending on what you are teaching. I suppose you could have a crochet class meet every tuesday for 4 weeks, or you could have them meet one day and thats it.

Call the store during the day and ask for the class coordinator. They can tell you the specifics.

Good luck. :)

Ah... Jesse you probably were looking into that at the Michael's I used to work at in Manchester.

I think back then the employee discount was 25%, but I was working there when I was teaching there so i'm not sure what sort of discount non-employee teachers get. Hopefully it's 25% b/c that rocks. If not it might be like 10%.

You both should teach something at Michael's and get the discounts and abuse it.:devil

Thanks for the info - I went yesterday and asked the cashier about the position. She gave me an employment application, I asked if there was information on it, she said no. "You just, type up something about you, samples of your work, or something. They usually give interviews after you bring this back."

I was patient. She looked maybe 17? I asked if there was anyone there who would know more about it, she said no but their manager would be there (today) at 9 am. Unfortunately I can't go today b/c of other appointments, but I may call. Baaby steps...

Melissa.. I'm getting ready to start crochet classes at our local Michaels, I'm doing an open house there on September 30th and classes start after that. I'm also brushing up on my knitting because they are losing their knitting instructor and I'm hoping to fill in the beginning knitting class as well.

When I was hired as instructor, I filled out the application and was called in for an interview where I brought samples of my work and had to take an actual interview as to how I handled people, what my course plan was etc. Along with that I had to take a self assessment test which I understand is a Michaels' criteria and if you don't pass this.. you aren't hired in any capacity as an instructor. She did tell me they could hire me as a salesperson and I could teach that way but they still run a complete background check. Kind of silly for that type of job but it's part of going to work there.

For all this I get a 25% discount at the store, actually me and my immediate family.. so not limited just to me. They set the price of the class at $15 a person and I keep 90% of that, I supply them with a supply list and they hadn this out when people sign up for the class... they do ask you use things from the store to help promote their sales and I went through the yarn department and picked tools and yarns they carried, on my supply list were instructions about "where" in the yarn department they could find different things.

Our first project is a chenille scarf done in singles and chains.. very simple, should be very easy for them to follow on. I gave them the choice of chenille yarn or the Paton Bohemian yarn just because it's very soft and nice to work with.

They are doing a board in the classroom with my picture, a short bio and some samples of work and on top of the open house they are going to put some signs in the yarn department itself promoting the classes. I also promote them with my cards and whoever I talk to... am excited bout the classes :) My first one is on October 9 and the next is on October 23 and we'll figure out from there if we need to split them and have more, or divide them into a beginner and advanced class or just how to do it.

I'd say if you have questions about that particular store, call and ask to speak to the Event Coordinator who is generally there during the day. She can tell you more about the ins and outs and if there's anything that particular store does as far as classes that might be different.. this has just been my experience with our local Michaels. If you can do more than one craft that's great as well as they usually are looking for instructors for about everything lol

I'm really looking forward to this.. I think it's going to be alot of fun and hopefully turn out to be a very good thing... the discount isn't bad either LOL Email me if you'd like to talk further about it :)donna@century-oak.com

If I were you I'd promote the fact that you are left-handed and offer classes specifically for left handed people. I think that would be an excellent opportunity as I think lefties don't often take classes assuming that the teacher will be right handed and it will be hard for them to learn.

I taught at a Joann's store for six years and really enjoyed the teaching part and meeting so many nice people.

If you need more help, just write into the forum and ask. We'll keep checking back. Good luck! You can do this

Ahh lefties lol I worried about that too but heard a tip probably on this board about teaching lefties when you're right handed.

When showing a new stitch to a right handed person I'll sit beside them so they can see exactly how to move... Lefthanded I'll sit in front of them and they can mirror the movement. Am hoping this works anyway otherwise I'll be learning to crochet left handed lol

• 3 weeks later...

What a great thread! I was JUST in my local Michael's and saw a little sign in the crochet dept. saying they were looking for someone to teach crochet. I took a little flyer, and now am thinking about it. I've never taught crochet before - although I'm somewhat advanced and have been at it for years. Where did this self doubt come from! I say we just DO IT and have fun!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

i know this thread is super old but i'm going to answer anyway. =) i'm a sales associate and the advanced knitting instructor at michael's (i wanted crochet but we have this older guy, yes guy, that's been doing it for a while who's close friends with the class coordinator). i must say that i love my job. the whole thing about samples and stuff is true, that they need something to display for your class. and instructors count as employees so you get a 25% discount. and i THINK you get minimum wage plus what is it... i think 25% of the fee each person in your class has to pay? and you don't HAVE to buy the supplies you need for your class, you can sign it out as "store use." also, i don't know if every michael's is like this, but with ours, the knitting classes aren't corporate so you can decide what you want to teach. i've had a few beginner students and i didn't plan a specific project because i figured we'd just cover the basics and any questions they had, and it went really well. i think most customers that pay that much for a class expect a more personal, "customized" experience, rather than sitting through a lecture, so that's how i do it. it's really fun, i used to do the kids class and birthday parties too, and i'll do them again in the summer.

and please don't think every cashier is like the annoying teenagers that are there on weekends, i'm a daytime cashier during the week at my michael's and i promise you, i'm always happy to answer questions and i try to learn as much as i can so i CAN answer questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi... I taught Native American Crafts for Michaels several years ago *1994, I think..lol*. I staggered the class subjects and times so each course ran about 4 weeks. As stated by others, they asked me for samples, class plan, etc... and the pay was like 10 a class and 10 percent discount. They collected the cash and I received a check once a month. I am not sure how they are doing that now, but they were pretty decent folks to work for/with. I would do it again. I live way out in the sticks right now, so I am trying to set up some classes locally on my own... IF I can find a place to hold them. There is alot of interest, although it may be better to wait until fall to do this. If you have a great passion for what you do, and make the first items you teach fairly simpleso no one gets discouraged, you will really have a ball.

Archived