Pics of some of the larger felted Handbags I've made

sherryzzz

I made my very first felted bag from one of LionBrand's free project handouts this weekend. It's really cute, but a bit too small for my tastes.... I also kinda messed it up by adding a bit of yarn I THOUGHT was wool as a stripe - it was a wool blend, so it didn't felt.

I have another pattern I used to make bags out of suede yarn, I'm wondering if that pattern will work better.........:think Uh oh!! I'm adding to my project list!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

About these bags, when you felt them, do they shrink more from left to right than they do from top to bottom, or is the shrinkage the same?

I am making one right now. My bag is currently about 24 inches from left to right and 15-16 inches from top to bottom. I am trying to figure out when I should stop crocheting and move on to felting and adding straps!

Thanks!

About these bags, when you felt them, do they shrink more from left to right than they do from top to bottom, or is the shrinkage the same? I am making one right now. My bag is currently about 24 inches from left to right and 15-16 inches from top to bottom. I am trying to figure out when I should stop crocheting and move on to felting and adding straps! Thanks!

....ummmmmm, I forget.... :blush I used to know, but ever since I read about which way knitting shrinks when felting (which is opposite from crochet), I always get them mixed up in my head now! I hope somebody here can help both of us out!

....ummmmmm, I forget.... :blush I used to know, but ever since I read about which way knitting shrinks when felting (which is opposite from crochet), I always get them mixed up in my head now! I hope somebody here can help both of us out!

Well, can you remember approximately how far you crochet your bags before you stop and move on to felting? In other words, about how tall are your bags when you stop stitching and about how tall are they after you felt them?

Thanks for any help you might offer...even just estimates or guesses.

I asked a similar question on another thread and here is what Mary Jane answered. I just stumbled across it:

...knitted items shrink more vertically and crochet shrinks more horizontally. My felted crochet items have shrunk about 1/3 each time, (1/3 smaller than the before) and it's been that way with hdc or sc, using about a size J-K hook with worsted weight yarn. I do crochet loose, too.

Hope that helps, Sherryzzz! :)

can you remember approximately how far you crochet your bags before you stop and move on to felting? In other words, about how tall are your bags when you stop stitching and about how tall are they after you felt them?

I went back and looked at my notes - I started with 50 chains, and then after the bottom 3-5 oval rounds, I did between 25 and 35 rounds for the height.

Archived