Pics of some of the larger felted Handbags I've made

sherryzzz

Here is a link to my photo album with seven of the larger felted handbags I've made. I used mostly Patons Classic Wool or Cascade 220. (The sunglasses and lipstick case are in the pics so you can get an idea of size.)

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z100/sherryzzz/SRR%20Crochet%20Felted%20Bags/

(Photobucket Album)

I've made bags using accents of fun fur, Landscapes yarn, and other novelty yarn, but I also like the color play and simple elegance of plain wool bags too.

The Mauve bag uses Landscapes around the top and for the handles. The color variations in the Periwinkle bag came about because I grabbed a couple of skeins of purple and forgot to check the dye lots....

• 1 month later...
I love your bags, were can I get the pattern!!!

diane

No pattern, but very simple to figure out. I use and L hook and a hdc stitch. For these large bags, I start off by chaining 50, then work hdc down one side of chain, around end, and up other side to form and "oval" for the bottom. Do increases at the 4 "corners" of the oval so that it lays flat. Repeat for about three to five times around. Stop doing the increases and then just crochet each row even around, and around, and around....until you have the height (11" to 13") needed. Felt, shape and dry!

[Edited to add: I use one strand of wool yarn, not two]

can I ask how you attactch the straps and how you made them?

To see how I attach the handles, take a look at the picture of the HB bag that shows it from the top down. I pinch-pleat the ends and make a hole from one side, through all the pleated layers, and out through the other side with a large knitting needle. Then just shove the ends of the handles through and knot.

thanks for that, I really like the knotted handles, I usualy stitch a strap into my envelope bags....do you make a cord? if so how? (sorry for so many questions! *blush* )

To make a felted cord, I use two strands of wool yarn held together. Chain 150 to 200. Slip stitch back down cord and tie off. Clip ends and felt. You can always make the cord longer than you want and then trim it shorter because after felting it won't unravel.

Your bags are wonderful! Have you ever tried felted tapestry crochet? My web site has a link to a free a felted tapestry crochet bag pattern http://www.crochetme.com/hip-hop , and my new Bead & Tapestry Crochet book features several felted bag patterns, some of which have beads http://iweb.tntech.edu/cventura/BFTCprojects.htm .

I've been making felted bags as well, but didn't think to do the button closure. I've been sewing velcro squares to the inside of the bag. I do like your button idea, though.

I'm currently working on four bags as Hanukkah gifts for my four nieces and am almost through the third one. Once I get them felted I will try to post pictures.

Beautiful job, Sherry! I started to tell you which one was my favorite, but the truth is I think they all are! I love your button closure. The size looks about right, and thanks for putting the sunglasses and lipstick in there to give us an idea of the size.

And WOW! Carol Ventura belongs to Cville too! COOL!!!! :cheer

And she commented on your purses, Sherry!! Double Cool!!! :cheer :cheer

:hook

one question: how do you make the handles so that they end up looking like "tubes" of felted yarn?

To make a felted cord for the handle, I use two strands of wool yarn held together. Chain 150 to 200. Slip stitch back down cord and tie off. Clip ends and felt. You can always make the cord longer than you want and then trim it shorter because after felting it won't unravel.

For the button closure, I use two strands and just chain the lenght I need (usually about 50). Or use one strand, chain length, then slip stitch back to beginning.

Wow :clap Sherry - your purses are beautiful. I have an addiction to handbags and I have crocheted two of them but did not felt them. I really don't know how to do the felting process, but want to learn. Thanks for sharing your information - I can't wait to try making a felted bag!

:ty

• 3 weeks later...

Archived