Allergic to handiwork

I crocheted for 3.5 hours today and my arms have broken out in hives. They always do this when I crochet or knit for great lengths of time. My grandmother, mother and sisters all had/have the same problem. Anyone else have this problem? I am not seeking medical advice; wondering if my familiy is allergic to work.

Maybe you're not allergic to work, just the fiber. Maybe you could try a natural fiber or, if you're using a natural, try using an acrylic or whatever. Just the opposite of what you're using. Or maybe you are allergic to work. :yes

Maybe you're not allergic to work, just the fiber. Maybe you could try a natural fiber or, if you're using a natural, try using an acrylic or whatever. Just the opposite of what you're using. Or maybe you are allergic to work. :yes

My grandparents were farmers and my g'ma would get it from working in the fields or shelling beans, shucking corn, seeding cotton. Or she would get hives from sewing clothes for her eight children. My mom gets it from sewing-mostly when she's doing intricate work. My sister gets it from sewing, crocheting or any other work that requires the hands. It is the strangest thing I've ever seen.

I got angry today when I saw the hives on my arms. I was far from being finished. Although, I finished an afghan I've been working on for two years. :clap I helped an elderly friend of mine finish a baby afghan. At dinner, I looked at my arms and we could see the hives making their way around my forearm. My friend said she'd never seen anything like it.

I've used every fiber there is. It does the same for everything.

Do you think it maybe from the movement of your arms? All the activities you mentioned with your gram, mom, and sister involved pretty intense arm movement. That would pretty much support your "allergic to work" theory. It is odd though and imagine pretty annoying. Maybe you could get a Benadryl pump so you can crochet up a storm without having to worry about pesky hives. :D

Hmm, and this is total guessing here, but it sounds like it's more the length of time you work, than what you do, that is the issue, right?

But all the work involves using your arms and shoulders? And all the women have the problem?

Might be something to do with circulation, or maybe your lymph system.

I'd defininately talk to your doctor about it, and mention the family history. You could also try, if you have a massage therapist near you that is affordable, getting a "lymphatic drainage massage". It's not as new-agey as it sounds.

My grandmother had all of her lymph nodes removed after a cancer scare, and now her arm is swollen all the time (no hives, though), and massage is the only thing that helps the lymph fluid collecting in her arm to dissipate.

And hey, a massage always feels good, right?

Something is clearly irritating your system though (hives are usually a histamine reaction). Oh, duh, you might try taking an anti-histamine (an OTC one), too. But ask your doctor first, of course.

Something is clearly irritating your system though (hives are usually a histamine reaction). Oh, duh, you might try taking an anti-histamine (an OTC one), too. But ask your doctor first, of course.

I take one everyday for my allergies. I put some tea tree oil lotion on them tonight. It has given me some relief.

It is interesting to hear the theories, though.

:think

I think you will find it is not hives but a rash caused by the rubbing of your sleeves on your arm.

I have the same problem but not so much when I push my sleeves up. My watch can also cause a problem so if it does, I take it off.

The rash does look a bit like hives but it goes away quicker.

Hope this is all it is for you, so you dont have to give up Crocheting.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Do you think it maybe from the movement of your arms? All the activities you mentioned with your gram, mom, and sister involved pretty intense arm movement. That would pretty much support your "allergic to work" theory. It is odd though and imagine pretty annoying. Maybe you could get a Benadryl pump so you can crochet up a storm without having to worry about pesky hives. :D

The hives do appear where I can feel my muscles working whilst crocheting/knitting. It could be part of it.

Archived