Beginning Felting Crochet-Along

MommaChelle

I finally got started on my bag! I have a whole 3 rounds done. The only P hook I have is a Crystallite and I'm having a difficult time getting used to it. It's not like my trusty Boye hooks. But, I'm plugging along, slowly but surely.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kim your tote is beautiful - when I saw the yarn you used, I said that I would have to buy something similiar in case I wanted to do another tote.

So what do I do, I ordered solid wool yarn online yesterday - what is wrong with me!!! :think Oh well, I guess I will have to make two more totes!!!! :cheer

I finished my purse (it'll be a gift for my SIL) and it's in the washer right now. I meant to take a 'before' pic, but guess it's too late for that! :) I must say, this is so cool. The first time I checked on it I couldn't believe how much it had shrunk already!

I"m starting a couple more purses for my nieces (SIL's girls) to coordinate. I had some cute eyelash yarn that I'm using instead of the fun fur (hope it works ok) that ties all the bags together, but the main body of each purse will be a different color. I'm excited to get these done! Thanks for starting this, Chelle!

On a side note, I couldn't get ahold of any d-rings, so I'm going to be just sewing the handles directly to the body. Any tips on how to do this? I"m not much of a seamstress.....:) Like how far down the inside edge of the purse should the ends of the handles go? Is after felting too late to add the d-rings if I do find some? Is there anything else I could do/use to make attaching the handles easier but still look nice? Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Tabby

Tabby, sew the handles inside the bag about 1" down. To look really professional I would make a sewn square along the inside borders of the handle, then an x inside that square from corner to corner. Make sense? Or just sew along the outside edges of the handle. Use a thread that matches your handle color, or be real fun and use a thread that matches the other color on your bag. With the felting, I think the thread will get lost in the felted yarn anyways, so not really sure it matters.

Also, yes you can sew the D-Rings on to the bag after your bag is felted. I think Im going to secure my rings down with some thread also - I didnt do the wrap with the yarn tight enough or full enough and the ring keeps sliding back and forth.

Thanks, Chelle!

Your bag looks awesome! So professional looking--you're going to get lots of compliments on that! So did you sew the lining in by hand or can you use a machine for that? I'm thinking about adding one to mine, but not sure I'm that talented :) It's drying right now and I"m really happy with it. Thanks again for all your help!

Tabby

I machine sewed the lining together first then hand sewed it to the bag. I took a long strip of fabric (to measurements of the bag), folded it in half and sewed the side seams. Then I folded down the top and sewed that. Then I set it inside my bag and whipstitched the very top of the fabric to the bottom part of the fuzzy (fun fur) inside.

Oh, I added the magnetic snaps to the fabric after sewing the fabric but before putting it inside the bag. I measured the centimeters between each prong of the snap, then cut my small slits into the fabric a tad closer together, then put the snaps in there, folded them out, and good to go! :)

This is my second lining ever made for a bag, Im not a seamstress either but can sew straight lines on my machine :)

bumping this up cuz I need to see more pictures posted.

:blush Ladies? where are your bags? :think

I have mine done and felted, I just need to get new batteries for the camera!!Hope to post pictures tomorrow!!!!

Mandi, love your colors...great minds think alike. I am using those colours for my second purse for my SIL.

Cheryl

I felted my bag this evening. It took two 10 minute cycles in my washer. I don't know what I was so scared of this was so easy.

I am officialy hooked! lol

Now I just need to let it dry so I can sew on the handles and the flower. I'm not going to line it, I don't really think it needs it.

Bad thing is this project for me just added to my list of gifts to make before Christmas! lol

Here is a link to my blog and pictures

http://caednkat.wordpress.com/2006/10/24/my-lovely-felted-bag/

Archived