Scarf length for small children?

SeaShelly

Question

6 answers to this question

An average length I don't know, but I made my son's scarf 36" long by 5" wide (he is 3 yrs old) and my daughter's scarf is 45" long and 5" wide (she is 7 yrs old). I measured both without including the fringe. But that is just the way I made them. I hope that helps. :)

Thanks y'all. I am making scarves for all my little nieces and nephews up north, and since my *baby* is 15 y/o, I was clueless about length. :lol

One word of caution on the preschool size scarves -- they are a huge choking hazard on playgrounds if they're too long! For my kids when they were in that 3 to 5 range (and the kids I had in my home daycare) I made short scarves that were only about 24" long and that I'd wrap around their necks BEFORE putting their jackets on, and tucked the ends into their zipped up jackets. Sorry, just a neurotic mom's perspective on kids and scarves...

• Like 1

You make a great point pixiedust. I think however that the length and width would vary most on how you use your scarf. I'm not sure where up north your family's from, but here in NY My sisters and I all have different thoughts on scarves based upon the attire and the weather.

There's the lengthy narrow scarf that gets wrapped around the neck several times because the coat zips right up to the top...theres the FRIGGID weather playing in the snow scarf thats "short and wide" wraps around the neck and crosses the chest...and added layer over your chest to protect your chest from getting cold.

You can wrap it around your head under your hat...etc etc...or...you can just wear it decoratively on your jacket....its all a matter of preference.

I think mommahooks has got it quite right for a wrap with a knot in the front ...For my nephew I'll make it longer because I know my sister does the couple of wraps around thing.

;)

• Like 1