turning chain problem

artemis

Question

Now this may seem pretty basic, but I am having a problem with turning chains. I submitted my portfolio to the CGOA for the Master in Basic stitches program and they reported that everything was fine except my turning chains were not done correctly. I was told to research this and resubmit several samples.

So here's the situation. I'm sure I have the correct number of chains for the stitch size and I'm sure I'm starting and ending in the right place on each row...certainly I am not adding or loosing stitches.

I think the problem lies with the way I turn my work over. Most directions say turn over and chain 1 (or 2 or 3). Others say chain and then turn over. So I've just been turning my work over not thinking that it could be turned clockwise or counter-clockwise. One, and only one, set of directions I found said to turn the work counter-clockwise. That's what I do. BUT I am left handed! On all other directions I do the opposite of what they say. So I made several swatches some with clock-wise turns and some with counter-clockwise turns. When I go clock-wise the thread from the chain is in the front...with the counter clock-wise it is in the back. With the clockwise turns I do seem to have a smoother edge.

Could this be my problem? All you super-dooper crochet teachers out there, what do you think? Is there a difference in the way work is turned over? Can you think of any other little problem I might be having?

17 answers to this question

I take the hook out - I've had too many times where the chain got twisted. I've gotten to the point now that esp. with all SC, it's all one motion - I can take out the hook, rotate the hook, reinsert, and begin the stitch before the work is completely rotated.

Whooo! I hadn't checked this thread for a few days and I see I've had some action on it. Thanks for all the help!

I have until January to complete the swatches, so I am taking some time to think and research and practice. Here's what I'm thinking...

I had been turning counterclockwise, but since I'm a lefty I'm now turning clockwise. This takes a bit to break a long time habit, but in the CGOA webpage for lefty instruction, they do show that I should turn clockwise.

I am thinking and working on how I go into the chain when I come back down the row. I'll have to practice that a bit more.

The person who evaluated my work wrote, "Your techniques for completeing the swatches was correct, but you may want to re-evaluate your turning rows. Please research your turning chain for sc, hds, & dc." That's it. Yes, I know it sounds skimpy and one wonders why they are not more forth-coming, but the whole reason I am working on the Masters is to learn if my crocheting is "top-notch." So, I have a problem. I work to figure it out. It has actually been fun researching, hearing your idea, examining my work, etc. What won't be fun is redoing 14 swatchs when I've have more interesting projects to do!

Thank you, everyone, for your ideas. And, yes, I might post some pictures of swatches in a few days. You all are "the best!"

Wha...??? Artemis, I can hardly believe that this is even an issue! Our crocheted edges almost always get lost in seams anyway so who the heck cares if the turning chain is twisted or not? I understand that the CGOA is interested in keeping the craft pure but aren't they getting a little anal here? I can't wait to see what answers you come up with. This is truly a fascinating thread. :yes

I do as the Dude does, that is, turn counterclockwise so the yarn doesn't tangle. But I always chain before I turn.

I've never taken my hook out when I turn, and I turn my work counterclockwise. (I've found that counterclockwise keeps the turning ch from twisting and it also keeps the work from getting tangled in the yarn/skein.)

The only two things that I can think is that there could be an incorrect number of chains made (which you have said isn't the case) or that you aren't crocheting into the top of the turning chain and the end of the next row. Perhaps you are crocheting into the end as if it were a loop instead of actually working through the chain?

I say scan or photograph a swatch and let us all see it.

:bounce

I need help on this topic too. I know I must turn my work wrong because I always end up with weird holes at the ends of my work. I've always wondered what on Earth I'm doing wrong. Any ideas on that? I know this is slightly off topic. Sorry.

I am so confused why they wouldn't be more specific---aren't there people on this site who have passed the program and can help?

Natasha mentioned earlier in the thread that Drew (thecrochetdude) had completed the program. Maybe artemis could PM him?

I do agree with you that it seems silly for the CGOA to be so secretive. Why not simply say what they found wrong? How is artemis supposed to "research" this when there is no consensus on one "right" way to turn' date=' and whatever method the CGOA thinks right isn't mentioned in their website crochet lessons? Still, I'm not a member, so perhaps I have no right to criticise. . .[/font']

I am so confused why they wouldn't be more specific---aren't there people on this site who have passed the program and can help? The CGOA seems to be losing the spirit of the craft if they can't offer more specific reasons so someone can pass their program. I've read other things like this about the CGOA---why are they so secretive?

Nicole

Is it possible that you're not crocheting into the turning chain right. I think taking the hook out is a great idea, but it's never going to happen. I don't have the patience. But when I get to the end of the row and I have to crochet into the turning chain, I turn the chain so that I can get into it correctly. This is so interesting. And so picky.

I take the hook out, also, or my chain gets twisted. I was taught that the yarn should come up over the hook "from the back" and when you turn the work around, it no longer does so. (Hard to describe!)

Susan

I'd be interested in what the Crochet Dude has to say. He has completed the program requirements successfully, I think.

I was always told that it doesn't matter which way you turn it, as long as you turn it the same direction every time.

I've never heard of actually taking the hook out of the work, turning, then reinserting.

Wonder why CGOA wasn't more specific?

This is fascinating! I have often wondered just what looked best. I am working on a scarf and wonder if the edges would look neater if I "turned the work like a page in a book". I am just doing the opposite - LOL. I would like to know what the CGOA says is correct.

I leave the hook in too. . . when I re-discovered crochet a couple of years back I bought a Pauline Turner video and she leaves her hook in, too :)

Sorry not to be more help, artemis, but I'm mystified. I'd also have thought the CGOA could be a bit more helpful in saying what they find "wrong"! Perhaps someone else may have completed this program and have some thoughts for you.

Yes, I'm absolutely sure I have everything else correct.

I was watching a "How to crochet" video (from the 80's) last night. She takes the hook out of the chain, turns the work over, and puts the hook back in. Is that what others do? I've always just left it in as I flopped my work over.

Hi artemis

I was taught that it's easier for you if you turn the work so that when you come to hook into it at the end of the next row, the front of the chain is facing you. I never heard that one way was any more "right" than the other, though. :think

Is that all they said, that your turning chains were not done "correctly"? No hint as to what might be wrong?

The only info on their website about turning chains is the number required for each stitch. Are you sure you're doing their recommended number, for instance 3 for dc rather than 2, which a lot of us prefer?

Smiles,

Archived