Not Your Mama's Crochet

flyinghooks

Just a note for those of you trying the kimono sweater: There seems to be a typo in the materials section. It says that you should use a "medium worsted weight" yarn to substitute for the yarn listed, but worsted is WAY too big a weight for this. After trying my gauge over and over with some frustration, I looked up the actual yarn on knitpicks.com and it's actually a medium SPORT weight yarn (24 stitches per 4 inches). That made a big difference! Just wanted to make sure people don't have the same problem I did!

I love this pattern and can't wait to make it, now that I have the right yarn!

You are 110% right! Must have been one of those evil word fairies that messed up my pattern! I actually classified it as DK weight, but that's because I'm a tight crocheter. The editor must have thought I was nuts (which I can be and am often) and changed it. Great catch thanks for posting!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a grandmother, and I have just bought this book, with a gift voucher my daughter gave me for my birthday - I LOVE it!! The pattern which gave me itchy fingers is the weekend vest - I'm looking forward to trying that one. I'll have to find substitute yarn, because I am in Australia, but that has been made so easy with the guidelines given.

I really like this book, and there are so many patterns to make for my family, as well as the one I want for myself. There's a great scarf for my son who lives in cold cold Canberra. Even though it looks as though it is a book for the young and trendy, I have found it to be a very informative and useful addition to my crochet shelf.

I saw his book at B&N and looked at it, but the format kind of turned me off.

I didn't like the feel of the paper that it was printed on either, too much like newsprint to me (I am very tactile and newsprint type paper gives me the wiggins)

I tried to check out the patterns, but the pages were to "busy" for me and I had trouble making any sense of them.

I think that I want to take another look at it though, I am curious about Robyn's patterns now :D

Hmmm... this book is going on my "maybe sometime" list to buy just because of the format/overall feel of teh book.

But Robyn- your stuff is awesome! I might get it anyway just for your designs. The funny thing is...I don't make wearables, ever. I just love to see gorgeous ones that I would be proud to wear. Feels nice to have super patterns in your stash sometimes, so that if you ever got the urge to make a gorgeous jacket you know that you could just pull that sucker out.

You rock, girl!

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently got this book, and I love the projects in it. I just started working on the "From the Crochet Test-Kitchen: Market Bag". I've finished a few rows and the stiches are not looking at all like the picture (it looks like dc in the pic, but the pattern says sc). Now, it is possible that I am doing something wrong, although I believe I'm following the instructions... :think I've been searching around, and can't seem to find any sort of corrections for patterns in the book. Does anyone know if such a list of errata is available?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived