Not Your Mama's Crochet

flyinghooks

I feel bad for designers, because I have found that the attitude she describes is prevalent. I have seen a lot of people ask for copies of patterns, and free versions of particular designs that were readily available for purchasing. I understand not having a lot of money, trust me, but the designers deserve something too. I have been playing around with some designs, purely for my own use and not for publication or anything, and I have come to appreciate the time and effort involved in creating them. Especially a really complicated design for a wearable. I don't think that $5 or even $7 is too much to ask.

I totally agree with the point about too many ponchos, scarves and even hats. I am sorry, but a long rectangular single or double crochet scarf with some stripes is not a new pattern. That has been a pet peeve of mine. I want to see something I can't think up.

I'm with you!! As I said before I pre-ordered this book just for the Kimono sweater & the Pea Coat - her designs are worth it and I want the crochet publishers and designers to know that I will pay for good patterns.

I read an online interview with Jean Leinhauser which blew me away because her perception as a book publisher is that we crocheters won't buy any patterns, we only want free ones, we don't support our designers because we just want to find a free pattern version of everything and that the internet has been bad for crochet because it allows us / encourages us to do this. As frugal as I may be, I will support designers and I will buy decent patterns for fashionable garments!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did the same thing, Stormyautumn! Mine should arrive tomorrow! I had a chance to check it out over the weekend at Barnes & Noble (AFTER I ordered it online) - it's gonna be SOOO cool!

Oh MY Gosh :eek , I love the kimono sweater and pea coat. I just bought the book site unseen just for those two patterns.

Me too! And when I got my book, I discovered that I probably could use a plain old knock around sweater like the "Too good for your boyfriend" sweater.

Robyn - it seems most are buying this book for your patterns. Methinks you should get busy on your OWN book- LOL.

Now I feel bad. I do use a LOT of free patterns because almost all the work I do is for charity. I've spent many hundreds of dollars this year alone on yarn to make chemo caps and blankets, and I use the free patterns for those.

If I see something that I like and want to make for a friend or family member, I'll buy it with no problem. I've purchased patterns on-line and from a few Crochetville members, and they're great and I'm glad to support the designers.

I hope that doesn't make me cheap. :(

Me too! And when I got my book, I discovered that I probably could use a plain old knock around sweater like the "Too good for your boyfriend" sweater.

Robyn - it seems most are buying this book for your patterns. Methinks you should get busy on your OWN book- LOL.

Tropicallie, I would LOVE to do my own book. Its definitely a dream of mine. And with all of you giving me such a big head, from liking my sweater and jacket patterns, I don't see how I am ever going to think about doing anything else.

Really, thank you guys so much for buying the book for my patterns. It really means a lot to me. I have hundreds of sketches and ideas and sometimes I am just not sure how they will be recieved. So thank you for giving so much feedback!

I would LOVE to do my own book. Its definitely a dream of mine. And with all of you giving me such a big head, from liking my sweater and jacket patterns, I don't see how I am ever going to think about doing anything else.

Really, thank you guys so much for buying the book for my patterns. It really means a lot to me. I have hundreds of sketches and ideas and sometimes I am just not sure how they will be recieved. So thank you for giving so much feedback!

Robyn- I told you I wan't the only one who bought this book for your patterns!! I am thrilled to hear you have hundreds of sketches and ideas.. my hook is waiting. I can't tell you how many compliments I get for your Crystal Lace Bolero... and no one believes there are motifs in there! Thanks again for all your hard work!

Now I feel bad. I do use a LOT of free patterns because almost all the work I do is for charity. I've spent many hundreds of dollars this year alone on yarn to make chemo caps and blankets, and I use the free patterns for those.

If I see something that I like and want to make for a friend or family member, I'll buy it with no problem. I've purchased patterns on-line and from a few Crochetville members, and they're great and I'm glad to support the designers.

I hope that doesn't make me cheap. :(

I hope you don't mean me :worried I think it is absolutely wonderful that you crochet for charity and I applaud you:clap I feel bad that I don't do that myself...

Free patterns are available for a reason and I think they are wonderful! I was just referring to a trend that I have noticed that even for very difficult amazing patterns that some people feel that they should also be free. And I was just stating that it is a lot of work to do them and that they deserve to be paid for it.

And please, I would never suggest that you would be cheap--my goodness--the generosity you show by crocheting for charity shows otherwise!

Heaven's no! I didn't mean you or any individual! C'ville people are GREAT, and I didn't think anyone here was criticizing any individual. Like I said, I have bought patterns from a few of or members and some other people that I've found on the web, but for the most part I do rely on the free ones for charity work. When I see something that I love and want to make, I don't hesitate to buy patterns - they're usually just a few dollars, and I know how hard it is to design and then write them up.

I just haven't purchased patterns specifically for my charity work. I find that I challenge myself more when I make things for gifts, but for my charity projects I often stick to things that I'm more comfortable with because I want them to be perfect and I want to make a lot to give.

OK good :) I wasn't referring to anyone specific either. And really my comments were to get people thinking. We want more amazing patterns! So we need to make sure that the designers have the incentive to create--meaning they get paid for their work. That is why I am more willing to pay for a pattern or book. I am much more likely to be cheap (well I call it being frugal :D ) when it comes to buying yarn. But that is JMO. We all have one right? :lol

:lol - you know, I was thinking about individual patterns that I've purchased on-line. I wasn't even considering the crochet pattern books I have at home. Not a full library, but a nice collection. Suddenly I don't feel that cheap after all! ;)

So we need to make sure that the designers have the incentive to create--meaning they get paid for their work. That is why I am more willing to pay for a pattern or book.

Here's something to think about. By buying books/magazines that we don't really use, we're sending a message to the designers and the publishers that we want more of the same thing. More ponchos, more scarfs, more easy peasy afghans, etc.

I'm all for supporting fellow crafters. I'm not going to just buy to do it though. I want things I like and will use. :)

Here's something to think about. By buying books/magazines that we don't really use, we're sending a message to the designers and the publishers that we want more of the same thing. More ponchos, more scarfs, more easy peasy afghans, etc.

I'm all for supporting fellow crafters. I'm not going to just buy to do it though. I want things I like and will use. :)

That's my point though. I absolutely don't buy them unless there is something in there that is amazing and creative. I haven't bought the Crochet Fantasy magazine for that reason. There are many others that I won't buy either. Because I hate to see those kind of patterns. I am way more of a pattern snob than a yarn snob. If a pattern is good/great, it will make even cheap yarn look good IMO. And if it is an awful pattern, even awesome yarn can't save it - again IMO. And I DO use the books/magazines, I LOVE to look at them and get inspiration and even just for admiration (kinda like a coffe table book:lol ) -even if I don't make the actual items in there. Everyone is different, this is really just my 2 cents. As long as it makes us happy and it's not hurting anyone, I say go for it!

• 2 weeks later...

Robyn -

Just wanted to let you know that I would definitely buy a book of all your patterns! I bought this one specifically for the sweater and jacket - I'm making the jacket now and am SO excited to finish it! It's great. Keep up the great work!!!!!

Robyn -

Just wanted to let you know that I would definitely buy a book of all your patterns! I bought this one specifically for the sweater and jacket - I'm making the jacket now and am SO excited to finish it! It's great. Keep up the great work!!!!!

Gretchen - I can't wait to see your coat!

I finally got this bk from the library and it definitely is not a typical pattern bk. First and foremost I really like many of the patterns and the variations section for each. The variation ideas are very helpful.

But I do NOT like the design of the bk and all the busy-ness of it. I would also prefer the color pics w/ each pattern.

And hello...what's with some of the hooker (pun intended LOL) poses? I know they are trying to make crochet look trendy and hip but come on...some of those pictures are really bad in terms of poses/looks.

so there's my .02

As much as I like the patterns I don't think I'll buy this one.

You know, I was looking for this at the bookstore last night to flip through again. I found Not Your Mama's Knitting. It gave me the feeling that these books were mass produced and put out there. I know the patterns in each version are different and I'm sure they're well thought out and nice and all (and I still might buy it if I like enough of them!), but the book production strikes me that way too. Sorta the same feeling I got when I found out the pattern-a-day comes in more flavors than just Crochet. :think

Thanks Ginny! The coat is on hold for now, trying to get a couple other WIPs finished. I have the back and left front done - I know it's going to be great! Have you tried this pattern yet? I'm really loving it. Seems to go super quick.

good morning everyone

If i could quickly add my 2 cents.

I liked the book,But as a designer i have a suggestion.

you should email or write a letter to editors of your favorite crochet mag and let them no what types of patterns you're interested in. this would help them know what the public wants :yes

well gotta get to work hope all has a great day

Dee

my new adventures

http://crochetdreamsny.tripod.com

http://www.myspace.com/crochetdreams

• 1 month later...

Just a note for those of you trying the kimono sweater: There seems to be a typo in the materials section. It says that you should use a "medium worsted weight" yarn to substitute for the yarn listed, but worsted is WAY too big a weight for this. After trying my gauge over and over with some frustration, I looked up the actual yarn on knitpicks.com and it's actually a medium SPORT weight yarn (24 stitches per 4 inches). That made a big difference! Just wanted to make sure people don't have the same problem I did!

I love this pattern and can't wait to make it, now that I have the right yarn!

Archived