Lapghans/scarves for Traumatic Brain Injury Survivors

losingmymind2

As some of you know, my 22 year old son Tim suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury in April. He's completed the first stages of rehab and is now in the extended care unit, where he and 64 others are recovering and continuting their fight to return from TBI.

Some patients are not as lucky as Tim and don't have daily visitors, maybe not even weekly. If their family is far away or elderly and don't drive, it's hard to get out to see them. Some residents have been there for years, and I'd like to brighten every room with a scarf or lapghan! Residents who are able to get around can take their wheelchairs outside onto a lovely patio, and something to keep them warm in the fall and winter would be appreciated. Every patient who is medically able is in a wheelchair at least part of the day, and when he's not on too much equipment, I love to take Tim outside for even a few minutes.

If anyone can help, let me know. We have adults of all ages, Tim is one of the youngest. Something in acrylic, easy care yarn in your favorite colors would be appreciated.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kathy, I would be honored to make a lapghan for this. Please give me a little time to get it started because everybody around here has been sick and I don't want to work on it until we're better and the house is aired out! But I will definitely want to make something for you for Tim's facility. Please email me the address that you want me to send to when it's finished.

sending big huge hugs,

Ro

Kathy

I would like to help with supplying scarves and a lapghan or 2 or 3

My sister's birthday is September 30 and unfortunately she did not survive her brain trauma. It would be an honor to bring a littel warmth to these survivors.

Where would you like the items sent? I have a couple of girly scarves ready to go from my stash.

Please let me know and I'll try to get them sent out this weekend.

Many thanks

Christine

I just took two down two skeins of brown and beige yarn, both are acrylic and I was going to make some potholders I saw in a book - just for they heck of it.

I logged on and saw this post and I will take the yarn and make a scarf for you.

Please PM me your address

I am glad to help out - :hug

looks like a 30" by 48" which is equal to 40 - 5" granny squares and assembled 5 across and 8 down (for length)

you can google and find all sorts of free patterns for 'lapghans'

I am going to use all of my great scrap yarn and make the granny squares, it's going to be quite colorful.

I would say the same size for any in a wheel chair, you'll be able to tell if your lapghan covers the width of your lap and

sitting down comfortably covers your toes, they can always roll the top up if it's too long.

ok I have enough hexagons to send to you for a lapghan. Right now I don't have time to put them together for you though.:( I hate saying that esp with knowing you are busy as a bee right now but would it be ok with you if I send the hexagons and you could put them together? I even have yarn to put them together with.

I had made them for a christmas gift for my father but he can just deal with a smaller blanket. :) Anyhoo please let me know if you would like the hexagons from me and I can mail next week. Thanks, Nikki

Thanks for the link, Gleda. I hadn't seen that one before, but I've bookmarked it. So much easier than trying to measure a bed, or find out discretely how big a friend's bed is to make a gift.

I've PM'd you Joan, but to let everyone know, we have both men and women of all ages from early 20's to seniors. TBI doesn't discriminate; I've learned it can happen to ANYONE.

Hi Kathy,

I know we talked about the group helping, I have not forgotten. But I will get one going to send you. I am almost finished with the one for Liz's niece, then I will start on yours.

That is such a neat idea to have one made for every patient:manyheart

I didn't think you'd forgotten Lynn, I just figured with the number needed, we need all hands we can get; especially with the holidays coming and people needing to work on their own projects too.

In the midst of all this I have finished one baby blanket and some scarves for Pine Ridge, mom's finished a hat and I'm doing another baby blanket and some scarves, then have this too...oh Anatomy class starts today; I've been warned 3-6 hours homework per night...have to take mom to Dr after class; she fell the other day and is all banged up; tomorrow is prayer shawl group at church...can I learn to crochet in the few hours I sleep?

Ahhh Anatomy class. My son Steve took anatomy last semister. Yes Kathy lot and lots of study time. But you can do it:yay :yay

I sent you an email. Looking forward to doing this project with you:hug

Good luck in anatomy Kathy! You can do this!

Just thanking Gleda for that cool link I hadn't seen it before and that's something! LOL I thought I'd seen every afghan related site known to man and woman after all the time i've done blankies.

I have the pattern picked out for my lapghan for this Kathy...just need to finish my antibiotics, be sure I'm done coughing and all before I get out the yarn! This is such a great reason to make blankets I wish I was an octopus so that I could crochet four blankets at a time LOL

love ya

Ro

Archived