Retro rugs! (afghans)

cupcake

http://crochetroo.blogspot.com/

It is now our spring and I am packing up the winter woolies for another year. I thought I would take some happy snaps of some of my previous rugs (afghans) I made when the kids were small. I had forgotten how colourful some of them were! Have a peek if you are interested in what we were crocheting in the 80s. For those of you who were arround then, my main observation is how the yarns have changed. Most of my work then was done in 5 ply wool. This was before acrylic became widely available here. Now 5 ply wool is pretty hard to come by, or hideously expensive. While the acrylics come in some great colours, I must say that the olden days pure Aussie wool ie blue bell was a real cracker! While it is still available, the colours are a bit limited and it is exy. ahh them were the days...

Thanks for looking!

IMG_9745.jpg

I thought I saw these, but it must have been some other ones on your blog. You have made a lot of rugs (afghans)! They are all beautiful, too. I like the one with the 'front post that are too tight'; I think that is my favorite; although I like them all. :hook

Thanks for sharing. :manyheart

Tina

Cupcake, those are beautiful! I love how lacey the motifs are in the first one, and I love the pattern the raised stitches make in the second one. I have a granny square afghan that I made in colors similar to your third one, too! Thank you so much for sharing these :)

that second one is to die for!!!!!!! I dont suppose you remember how to work that square?

It is an old pattern from a book called Busy Needles. This was one of those series they sold in the newsagents on a weekly basis. The book is dated 1981.

I love your colors! I could see all/any of those in my house. Great work!

So strange to think it's spring there - we are winding down summer and getting ready to cocoon here for fall and winter!

Cupcake, you do such a great job on all of your things! As far as packing up the wool-made items, we are just unpacking them here. We are going into our Fall/Winter season now!

Cupcake, you have done so many projects over the years! You were right to forgo the baby colors. Your afghans are now as beautiful as they were then. I am a fan of the one with the front posts also and love the pattern it makes throughout the afghan. But I must say, my favorite so far is the Yoga afghan. The colors and design in that one really speak to me! Whenever I see you post anything that you have made, I always feel guilty because you are just so darn productive! I wish I could crank out beautiful projects the way you do! :lol

Archived