Caron's Soft Sage Circle Jacket CAL

donnalynn2

What is the weight of Simply soft? Is there a standard yarn number printed on the wrapper? I'm looking for substitutions:think

Karen. Simply Soft is a #4 (Worsted Weight) yarn. Suggests a size 'H' hook.

Hope that helps.

Krystal

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome aboard everyone!

Trish, the color really sounds lovely! Can't wait to see how everyone's turns out!

I found another error!

Row #10 says to repeat Row #7, however, if you do this, your count will be off on Row #11. Instead you should repeat Row #9 instead of #7. This makes the counts on Row #11 line up correctly.

Okay, I've got a question. At the End of Row 7, shouldn't you DC in TCH and THEN CH 2 as you've done in the past couple of rows???? It doesn't indicate a chain 2 here. It simply says to DC in and then DC again. :think

So when your repeating ROW 7 for Row 8 and you CH 5 and DC IN NEXT CH2 SP that would make you put in the the CH2 Space of the first V-stitch. Does that make sense??? Or am I just confusing everyone???:think:(

Maybe this is where its messing up when you get to round 10 and you dont have the correct # of stitches???

Krystal

What is the weight of Simply soft? Is there a standard yarn number printed on the wrapper? I'm looking for substitutions:think

100% Acrylic worsted weight yarn, 4 ply

21 st X 24 rows in a 4" square

Red Heart Giant yarn, Bernat Berella 4, Patons Canadiana are close substitutes. Check TLC also.

Krystal ~ Yes, I think you're right. However, if you do an increase at the beginning and end of the rows you have too many stitches and if you don't do the increase you have too few stitches. I went ahead and did the increase since I'm making mine a larger size.

Also, when it gets into the "leaf pattern repeats" the instructions are very confusing. They left out several places where you need to do a V stitch. Basically just remember with the leaf repeats you'll do a Leaf, then a V stitch, then a Leaf, V stitch and so on. When you get to the edging you'll be doing this all the way around.

I wanted to make mine larger so it would fit so I am using a size J hook and added an extra Row #2 to make it a big larger. I also added the increase at the row in question and my main body is done now! It fits me PERFECTLY!!! I am now working on the edging which I am afraid will take a lot longer than the body. The body goes very very fast. The leaf clusters really take a bit of time to make but it's going to be well worth it!

If you stop making this at the 2nd leaf repeat you'd have an adorable little shrug. I almost stopped right there but wanted to do the jacket. I may make another one that ends right there. This pattern was very well thought out but just not written well.

WELCOME aboard everyone!

Simply soft is a #4 WW yarn, however, if you were to use say Red Heart Super Saver, it would turn out a little bit larger so you'd probably need to adjust your gauge with a smaller hook. Regular WW yarn is a tad thicker than Simply Soft. Hope this helps!

This is a beautiful sweater, and I hope to try it someday. However, I think I'd better just finish all the UFOs I have laying around first. If I could be sure my dh wouldn't notice me working on yet another project I'd join this CAl, but I'm pretty sure that he will catch on pretty quickly. he works at home so it's kind of hard to hide projects from him! I'll be watching to see how everyones project comes out though.

Donna......I'm gonna ask a real silly question.

What does this mean???

****Join fronts and back with additional sts at underarms****

This is the instructions after Row 10. I'm confused...What do I do now??

Krystal

It's not silly, like I said, it's written very poorly. Just IGNORE all of the notations in between the rows. It's telling you what you're going to be doing next is all. Just ignore it and keep going! :hook

No problem Krystal! I thought the same thing when I first read that and was like "what"? :think

Ok, I found another "problem" with the pattern.

Row 23 says:

Ch 5, sk first ch-sp, work in patt as established, end with sk tch sp, dtr in 3rd ch of tch, do not turn.

If you do this, it will look stupid. It's telling you NOT to make a leaf in the first leaf, but to skip it and to continue with the pattern all the way around to the beginning and then to skip the leaf. Why in the world would you do that, especially on the MIDDLE leaf cluster of the back? Makes no sense whatsoever! So I am doing Row #23 as I did Rows 20-22.

I really am going to want to make another one of these after I finish mine, not only because it's a great looking item, but it's also pretty much very fast and I think it would make a great Christmas present for a couple of people on my list. I MAY try to go back and write out all the corrections but don't quote me on that! LOL

Anyone else find any errors?

No problem Krystal! I thought the same thing when I first read that and was like "what"? :think

Ok, I found another "problem" with the pattern.

Row 23 says:

Ch 5, sk first ch-sp, work in patt as established, end with sk tch sp, dtr in 3rd ch of tch, do not turn.

If you do this, it will look stupid. It's telling you NOT to make a leaf in the first leaf, but to skip it and to continue with the pattern all the way around to the beginning and then to skip the leaf. Why in the world would you do that, especially on the MIDDLE leaf cluster of the back? Makes no sense whatsoever! So I am doing Row #23 as I did Rows 20-22.

I really am going to want to make another one of these after I finish mine, not only because it's a great looking item, but it's also pretty much very fast and I think it would make a great Christmas present for a couple of people on my list. I MAY try to go back and write out all the corrections but don't quote me on that! LOL

Anyone else find any errors?

Thanks for the heads-up on that Donna.....I'm still on row 12 :lol Slowly but surely i'm getting there. I've just got too many irons in the fire right now. Trying to give half of my attention to each project a little bit at a time!

Krystal

Do I have time for this? Not really. Am I going to do it anyway? You betcha! In the like....11 years I have been crocheting the only things I've ever made myself were a scarf and a hat. I totally deserve this. I'm thinking of making this in white. I'm an odd one and LOVE to wear white in the winter. I'm a little concerned about all these problems everyone has been having but I trust you all to help me when I screw it up. :-P Heading off to buy.

Ok, I'm an idiot! Ignore my last post!!!!

I was working on the "printed out" pattern and had my row marked. Well as I came in my room to watch TV and work on it, I misplaced my copy so pulled it up on the computer and was looking at the wrong row so it is correct! I am actually on the last row of the "ruffle trim."

Sorry to have made this more confusing! :blush

OK, I picked up my SS yarn today. I went ahead and got the soft sage that the pattern calls for -- when I went to my LYS I realized that I already have shirts and sweaters in almost every variation of red, rose, and purple that they had, and that sage was just so darn pretty!:D

So, I'll start it as soon as I get off the computer. We have the season premiere of Amazing Race coming on this evening, and I can't watch TV unless I have a project to work on. I'll be printing out the posts in this thread so I can follow along with the pattern mistakes and confusing bits as I go. What fun!!

Welcome aboard Melissa and Tiffany!

(I'll be watching TAR as well! I'm so addicted!)

I am debating on if I'll actually do the sleeves for this one. It doesn't get too chilly down here in Florida and I think this would look so nice over a nice tank top. We'll see when I finish the row I'm on right now!

Just got back from my shopping trip and got the white. :-) I also got some stuff to complete a project I REALLY need to finish so i'm going to do that tonight and tomorrow and probably start this on Tuesday. It stinks to wait *pouts*

Ok, I had country blue and autumn red in my stash and pleeeenty of it more than enough to finish this, so i picked the red. its kinda maroon/wine like i said. should be pretty. OK! starting row 3! I, too, was eyeballing this in the Interweave mag when i got my copy on thursday. I'm off and running!! thanks for starting this donna! you may have read on another thread about projects we're disappointed with, and I was lamenting about nothing "exciting" me. well, this one did! this just may get me out of my crochet funk. :hook Donna, your new job is my crochet therapist :) LOL!!!

OH! one more thing. I have never been able to perfect doing the base sc chain, so i started mine with just chaining 33 and doing the first row of sc. in order to get the gauge to come out to 11" like the pattern says, I had to go up to a size J hook, but I do tend to crochet tightly.

OH! one more thing. I have never been able to perfect doing the base sc chain, so i started mine with just chaining 33 and doing the first row of sc.

That's good to know!! I was eyeballing the instructions and was totally confused by the base sc chain. I was afraid of what I had gotten myself into, when I couldn't even figure out the foundation chain!!

Ok everyone! I AM FINISHED! WOO-HOO!

(Well, I think I'll add a little trim to the sleeves but just a little row of SC's)

I decided not to crochet the sleeves as it never gets cold enough down here to warrant that. I really really like this and am going to start on another one for a Christmas present tomorrow!

This is how it looked after I had the body portion finished:

sscardigan3.jpg

This one is of the finished product front view:

sscardigan1.jpg

And the back:

sscardigan2.jpg

I ended up just crocheting my own button with the same yarn and winged that. I like this as I can wear it over my sleeveless tank tops but I don't think I'll be too terribly warm (we'll see as I'm going to give it a try tomorrow!) LOL

Donna,

You amaze me! That looks awesome, beautiful, etc...:clap and you finished so fast! I still don't have my yarn :eek ! I'm sure you'll get lots of compliments and requests! Great job!:yay :yay :woo

Awww, thanks! You know you could really make this with any WW yarn so don't hold out for anything specific! Just go for it!

Ok everyone! I AM FINISHED! WOO-HOO!

(Well, I think I'll add a little trim to the sleeves but just a little row of SC's)

I decided not to crochet the sleeves as it never gets cold enough down here to warrant that. I really really like this and am going to start on another one for a Christmas present tomorrow!

This is how it looked after I had the body portion finished:

sscardigan3.jpg

This one is of the finished product front view:

sscardigan1.jpg

And the back:

sscardigan2.jpg

I ended up just crocheting my own button with the same yarn and winged that. I like this as I can wear it over my sleeveless tank tops but I don't think I'll be too terribly warm (we'll see as I'm going to give it a try tomorrow!) LOL

Donna yours is beautiful!!!! :cheer:clap:cheer:clap:cheer:clap:yay

Great job!!!!

Krystal

Archived