Free Online Tunisian Class

crochetkim

Question

I am thinking about teaching several free online Tunisian classes in October for the Crochetville group. If you think you might be interested, please post here.

I have taught these classes online for years, but got out of it for awhile. These are in a text, chatroom format. A little unusual. But, I've never had someone leave one of my classes not knowing what I was teaching. I present it in such a way that you can understand even if you can't see me.

So, if there is enough interest, I will post several different dates for the classes.

• Answers 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just wanted to say thank you again Kim, the class last night was fun and very educational. I really enjoyed learning those new stitches and can't wait to finish the round ripple I am currently working on so that I can practice these stitches. I liked all three stitches, and was happy to see the knit stitch. As I said last night I don't knit but have found lots of knit patterns that I couldn't do. I bought several cro-hooks (sale a wal-mart) and a pattern books for dishclothes in special stitches (crochenit) but it didn't have any basic stitches, just fancy ones so I was still trying to learn it. Also, it didn't help that I am left handed and the instructions and more importanly the pictures were designed for right handed stitchers. I didn't have any trouble following along with your instructions, so I think in the future I will try to follow directions without pics, maybe it will be easier to learn. I see a new addiction in my near future! :lol As if I don't have enough patterns and hooks already.

Thanks again,

Valerie

Kim,

:cheer You are an absolute doll to be so generous with your time and knowledge. Offering these free online classes is a wonderful opportunity for us to learn new techniques. I hope that everyone you teach, purchases at least one of your pattern designs or booklets (I've bought several), so at least you're compensated in that way. That's just MHO.

Thank you again for last night's class. I loved it and was practicing all 3 stitches afterwards.

Since the class I have made a few tusisian squares for a charity afghan I'm working on. The first two were a bit off. The third is nice. I'm almost done with the fourth. Mixed the stitches for a very simple pattern and its really beautiful. My hubby LOVES the way the tunisian stitches look but even better I am LOVING this stitch. Thank you so much, Kim!

Since your class on October 2, I have made a zillion little practice scraps as I have experimented with it. I have even made a scrap of entrelac as well! :clap

I have made a baby sweater and over a foot made of an Elmo graph ghan! I will try to get pictures of them posted today in the Baby Show and Tell section and will advertise you classes! I also ordered you baby ghan book and a J extension hook. Can't wait for it to show up. Thanks again.

Hi Sandie

You don't need to sign up, just turn up! :lol

If you go to Kim's blog here and look on the left, you'll see a heading "Crochet Classes!" . Click on the link for "Current Schedule" and that will tell you times, dates and what supplies you need to bring to class.

At the top of the same page there is a button saying "Enter my chat room". Just click on that a little before class begins and it will take you to the classroom. :) You might want to do a dummy run beforehand just to check you can log in to the chat room without any problems.

Enjoy the class! I "attended" the one on Oct 2 and it was great fun.

Smiles,

Sandie,

You can also go to Kim's blog and read the text of the classes that went on...I missed the first class on the 2nd and had never tried Tunisian crochet before, but read the text and learned that way just by reading the chat text.

The next classes are cro-hook classes starting next Monday I believe.

We are now ready for our cro-hook classes. There are three, all the same class. You'll need to visit my blog for the link to the chatroom. Look on the left side under "Crochet Classes" for the current schedule. Please be sure to try to get into the chatroom at a time prior to the class to make sure that your computer is "geared" for that sort of thing.

Can't wait to get started! See you all there!

Oh, and, this weekend, I will start "mapping out" a new set of dates for new classes. I've got a guest teacher for the changing colors class. I will also try to come up with curriculum for shaping (i.e., decreasing, increasing). And, I'll throw in some new stitches. And, another cro-hook class might be fun as well. If you have any other ideas, be sure to post here. :yes

For anyone unable to take the class, I am currently offering the text from my last two classes on my blog as well. The September text is for a cro-hook project using Reverse Afghan Stitch and Afghan Stitch. The October text is learning Reverse Afghan Stitch, Afghan Stitch and Knit Stitch.

Is anyone doing Kims class in an hour?? I can get to the chat room but can't type into it. Something about the java applet?? the curser is blinking but nothing else works,,,I got to watch the beginners class a few weeks back so the Cro-hook Class will be fun. Thanks if you can help a computer novice!! I'll still get to read along otherwise!!!

is tunisian the same as the crochenit? I am having a hard time looking at patterns and being able to tell the difference between a crochet pattern and a tunisian pattern

sue

Tunisian crochet is a special technique that can be sort of described as a cross between crocheting and knitting. Most people are familiar with the term "afghan stitch". But, this is just one of the many stitches in the Tunisian family.

You use a long hook, very similiar to a knitting needle. It's got a knob on one end and a hook on the other.

Now, there is also Tunisian crochet with the double-ended hook. A long crochet hook with hooks on both ends. I usually call this cro-hook and it has other names as well. (This is the class I taught earlier tonight and I will be teaching the basics of it two more nights as well.)

Crochenit is the trademarked term specifically for a crochenit cro-hook, which is size M.

I'm offering these classes online. They are free and, you don't have to sign up or anything like that. Just join in the fun! :yes

My reason for offering these classes is because I absolutely love Tunisian crochet. It is my favorite form of crochet. For years and years, I was always disappointed to see a pattern I really liked, only to find out it was Tunisian and I would skip it. Then, once I discovered how easy it is and the wonderful drape and uniqueness of the finished items, I will always love it. I just wish someone had shown me how easy it is way back when.

I'm pretty sure that there must be a lot of people who feel the same way I did. So, I'm hoping to dispel the myth by offering to teach the classes online. :cheer And, how cool is it to be teaching people all over the world at the same time??!!

OK, dumb question here.

I have a wooden hook - an "N" - that is about 10" long. Otherwise, it looks just like my other inline hooks. Is this a tunisian hook?

If not, what *is* this thing?

It sounds like you may have a Tunisian hook, or it could just be a regular hook, just long. But, you could probably get away with using it for small projects like a scarf or a square if you put a rubber band on the end.

We had a great class tonight for basic cro-hook! There are still two more chances to take this class. You'll need to visit my Blog, then click on the "Current Schedule" under the links in the left column.

I really meant to put up a new schedule because I have several more classes to teach. I promise to do that soon! :clap

Originally Posted by Krystal16 viewpost.gif

OK, dumb question here.

I have a wooden hook - an "N" - that is about 10" long. Otherwise, it looks just like my other inline hooks. Is this a tunisian hook?

If not, what *is* this thing?

I have a hook like that. I make baby sweaters, with it, and other small items. It is nice to not have the Loooong hook when you don't need it.

The next cro-hook class (the same as last Monday's class) will be this Monday at 6 pm Chicago time. Please visit the Crochet Classes link in my blog to see the current schedule and find out what you need to bring. See you there!

:yay

Please check out the current schedule in my blog under Crochet Classes. I have now added the upcoming classes for Shaping, Advanced Stitches and Color Changing. Yay! No need to sign up. Just pick a day and you're there! A word of caution, though. If you've never attended one of the chat classroom sessions, you will want to visit the chatroom ahead of time to make sure you can get in.

These next classes are by popular demand, posted right on this board. So, if you have something you'd like to suggest for future classes, jump right in there!

:manyheart

That really sounds like fun....I will like to but I work during day so I don't know how this will work....let me know :)

If you are unable to attend the class, I am trying to provide the text from each class so that you can follow along whenever you like. It's not quite as fun as being there, but you can learn just as easily by reading along. :yes

Archived