Free Online Tunisian Class

crochetkim

Question

I am thinking about teaching several free online Tunisian classes in October for the Crochetville group. If you think you might be interested, please post here.

I have taught these classes online for years, but got out of it for awhile. These are in a text, chatroom format. A little unusual. But, I've never had someone leave one of my classes not knowing what I was teaching. I present it in such a way that you can understand even if you can't see me.

So, if there is enough interest, I will post several different dates for the classes.

• Answers 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kim I would really like to take another of your classes. I had fun and learned a lot the other night so Im up for some more. Thanks. When will the class notes be available for the class the other night? Where can I sign up for the Oct. classes?

Karen, I wanted to let you know that I edited the text for the September 25 class as well and it is also available on my blog. Sorry it took me so long. This cold had me down for a good two weeks. But, it's there now!

:manyheart

Your class was very enjoyable. The time flew by. If you offer the next level (hmmm...perhaps increases, decreases, and color changes) make sure to post it for us!

Big hug! Thanks!

You're in luck! Actually, we're BOTH in luck! I can certainly teach increasing and decreasing with no problem. But, although I've got experience in changing colors in Tunisian for the graph work (which I believe you're talking about), I don't feel extremely experienced in this area in order to teach it online. BUT, I've just been in contact with someone extremely experienced in this area and she has agreed to guest host the class! YAY! So, I'll be getting some classes together for November and early December. :clap

Hi Kim,

Thats great news :clap:cheer:clap ! I'll be there for sure!!!

By the way, I took another look at your site and the diagonal beige sweater, is that made with tunisian? I think the description says it is, but I'd like to be sure. I would really like to make something with this technique, preferably something wearable for the men in my life.

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to the next ones!!!:hook:yarn

Hi Kim,

Thats great news :clap:cheer:clap ! I'll be there for sure!!!

By the way, I took another look at your site and the diagonal beige sweater, is that made with tunisian? I think the description says it is, but I'd like to be sure. I would really like to make something with this technique, preferably something wearable for the men in my life.

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to the next ones!!!:hook:yarn

If you are referring to this one:

http://www.crochetkim.com/products/diagonalsweater.html

then, yes. It is in Tunisian. The ribbing for the bottom of the body of the sweater and the bottom of the sleeves is with the double-ended hook. And, you will use Reverse Afghan Stitch, Knit Stitch and regular Afghan Stitch. All the stitches I just taught! :D Definitely a good choice to give yourself a challenge and test out those new stitches.

And, here are a couple of photos of designs I will have available probably in November (since my designing schedule just exploded with a couple of publishers emailing me this week for projects). :hook

http://kimguzman.bravejournal.com/entry/19346

Oh Kim,,I'd love to be in on the changing color class!!The increasing and decreasing,too!!

Even thought I wasn't able to participate(being able to type) Monday it was great following along!!

I keep hoping your friend at nexstitch will make a tutorial on changing colors.

Thanks again for your time and effort!!

You're in luck! Actually, we're BOTH in luck! I can certainly teach increasing and decreasing with no problem. But, although I've got experience in changing colors in Tunisian for the graph work (which I believe you're talking about), I don't feel extremely experienced in this area in order to teach it online. BUT, I've just been in contact with someone extremely experienced in this area and she has agreed to guest host the class! YAY! So, I'll be getting some classes together for November and early December. :clap

Woot!! Can't wait!:cheer

I would LOVE to take a class to learn more!!! How exciting!!! :cheer

I could have just kicked myself because I missed the class last Monday (kept reminding myself all day but then of course forgot and remembered again when it was an hour too late!), but then I went to your blog today Kim and saw the text of the class and I think I got it!!! :eek I can't believe I think I learned it that quickly!

I will for sure come to the class this Monday and make sure I've got it down!

Thank you for putting the text up!! :hug

I could have just kicked myself because I missed the class last Monday (kept reminding myself all day but then of course forgot and remembered again when it was an hour too late!), but then I went to your blog today Kim and saw the text of the class and I think I got it!!! :eek I can't believe I think I learned it that quickly!

I will for sure come to the class this Monday and make sure I've got it down!

Thank you for putting the text up!! :hug

That's wonderful to hear! I'm glad the text helped you and will look forward to seeing you on Monday night.

Just a reminder......there is class on Monday night. Visit my blog to get details under "Crochet Classes". It will be the same class as the one last Monday.

Stupid question. I know when the class is tomorrow, but I'm not sure where. Do we click on your chat room from your blog? Is there anything special we need to do?

Yes, just click on the chatroom button from the schedule linked in my blog. Make sure you'll be able to get into the room itself by typing your name then clicking the chat button. And, that's about it. :)

After following along with the transcript from Oct 2nd's class, I was able to get the basics down. I really like the tunisian simple stitch (it reminds me of a triscuit :) ).

Problem - I started a scarf with a tunisian reverse stitch edging and tunisian simple stitch for the rest of it, and so far everything has come out great except for the left edge of the piece. It looks really wonky and jagged, not like the right side at all. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but I know that I'm going to end up ripping out 24" of work and starting over because I can't stand the way it looks. If I remember tomorrow, during daylight, I will take a picture of the edge so maybe someone can tell me where I went wrong.

And if I can remember what time, etc (and if it doesn't coincide with Heroes which I will not miss for anything) I'll be at tomorrow's class.

This is an ongoing Tunisian program and one of the tips I'll be teaching in future classes is how to close up the loops that may cause problems for some on both sides of the work. There is a lot to learn with Tunisian work; just like in regular crochet. And, I wouldn't be able to teach everything in one hour, unfortunately. But, you may want to take a look at the text for my September class that I have posted in my blog. There is a tip in there that I think may help you.

Thanks, I took a look at the transcript and was able to find the tip to which you were referring. I'll try that, after I give myself a couple of days to cool off. I'm afraid I acted a little childish and threw a temper tantrum when I couldn't get the scarf to look how I wanted it to (I used my tunisian hook to beat up a bag of poly-fil), so now I'm feeling a bit sheepish and will wait until my temper and embarrassment have ceased.

(I used my tunisian hook to beat up a bag of poly-fil)

Oh, no! Attack on a bag of poly-fil. :2eek I'm sorry it didn't work out for you the first time. But, I couldn't help but feel for you and realize that I do the same thing. I remember literally throwing an afghan across the room because I couldn't get the border numbers right. :blush

After following along with the transcript from Oct 2nd's class, I was able to get the basics down. I really like the tunisian simple stitch (it reminds me of a triscuit :) ).

Problem - I started a scarf with a tunisian reverse stitch edging and tunisian simple stitch for the rest of it, and so far everything has come out great except for the left edge of the piece. It looks really wonky and jagged, not like the right side at all. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but I know that I'm going to end up ripping out 24" of work and starting over because I can't stand the way it looks. If I remember tomorrow, during daylight, I will take a picture of the edge so maybe someone can tell me where I went wrong.

And if I can remember what time, etc (and if it doesn't coincide with Heroes which I will not miss for anything) I'll be at tomorrow's class.

I did exactly the same as you. From the text, I got the stitches and started a scarf but only went about 10". My right side is so neat! Looks like chains going up but the left side is terrible. I even put a stitch marker to make sure I was going the right place. I am going to try and keep up with the classes (excellent) and see if I can get this.

Kim, thank you so much!

After class I practiced and made an 8" square. It's pretty amaturish, but I'm thrilled that I did it and it has a nice pattern. I'm very grateful!!!

Many - if you go to Kim's blog you can see the transcripts from last weeks class and probably tonights and you should be able to follow. Kim is a great teacher. :)

The exact same thing happened to me. I started using the reverse stitch and tried to do a border of two stitches of reverse on both right and left side, with the Tunisian knit stitch in between. One side (left for me 'cuz I'm a lefty) came out perfect, but the other is totally jaggedy and looks awful.

I will go and check Kim's blog.

Joan

Glad everyone enjoyed the class tonight! There's still one more for those who might still want to join. You can see my current schedule on my blog.

I have already started plans for the next series after cro-hook. As I can see from the previous posts, I should really do some sort of tips and tricks class. These tips don't easily fit into a one-hour session. I also have the changing colors planned as well.

Some people have a problem with the last stitch side being loopy and mis-shapen. Others have problems from time-to-time with the first stitch side being loopy. So, I'll try to cover these problems as well as some shaping exercises like increasing and decreasing.

So, don't worry! I'll make sure to have as many as I can hooked on Tunisian crochet. :hook

I'm so depressed! I can't do these classes cause I'm in Australia and the times are all weird here...I really wanted to learn how to do this.

Mandy, you should check out the text from the class in my blog. I'll bet that you'll be able to understand with no problem just like if you were there. :)

Archived