Free Online Tunisian Class

crochetkim

Question

I am thinking about teaching several free online Tunisian classes in October for the Crochetville group. If you think you might be interested, please post here.

I have taught these classes online for years, but got out of it for awhile. These are in a text, chatroom format. A little unusual. But, I've never had someone leave one of my classes not knowing what I was teaching. I present it in such a way that you can understand even if you can't see me.

So, if there is enough interest, I will post several different dates for the classes.

• Answers 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sending this out as a reminder to everyone of the upcoming classes. I currently have two different classes planned, each on three different days. Pick one or more and let's play! All information is copied below.

For right now, I'll be having these classes in my chatroom here:

http://home.comcast.net/~kguzman/chatroom.html

You might want to just take a peek ahead of time just to make sure that your computer is set up for java and that you're able to join the class.

To be honest, I don't believe I've had more than 15 people in the chatroom at one time. So, we'll be doing a little "test" when we start the class to see just how many people can participate! If you're unable to get into the chatroom on the scheduled date, be sure to let me know so that we can determine whether it's a "number of people" issue. But, for right now, we'll give it a try and see how it goes. :yes

When you get to the above link, you will follow the link to the chatroom. Once there, wait for the java to load. Sometimes, it takes a little bit. Simply type in your name and hit the chat button (you may have to hit the chat button twice).

If you're unable to make it, don't worry! I've got several more classes and I can assure you that there will be more!

So, enjoy! And, I hope to see you there! :clap

In planning these dates, I have to take into account that I have a small toddler who requires a lot of attention. So, the only time I can offer a class is when my daughter is home to watch him. And, she is gone on some weekends. Right now, I am teaching three of these classes in September. Here is what I'm looking at for a schedule for Crochetville.

Beginner Tunisian Class One hour. You will need an afghan hook which can be either one hook and a knob on one end or a double-ended afghan hook (cro-hook). (Note: If you are going out to buy a hook especially for this class, try to find a cro-hook since you can use it for both classes.) You will need a ball of yarn. The afghan hook should be two sizes larger than the recommended hook size of the yarn. For instance, if your yarn recommends an H hook, you will need a J, or even a K will work. Your yarn choice can be anything in any color. Please do not choose a variegated yarn. Do not choose any novelty yarns or boucle yarns. You will learn three stitches: regular Afghan Stitch, Tunisian Knit Stitch and Reverse Afghan Stitch. You will need a basic understanding of regular crochet techniques for this class. All these three classes will be the same. If there is enough interest, I will continue to offer classes to expand upon your technique. You will only be learning the technique and not actually making a finished item. You will have a "swatch" when you finish which can then lead you in other directions to make other projects.

Dates

Note: Yes, I am aware that October 2 is Yom Kippur. And, I realize that some will not be able to attend on that day. I mean no disrespect to people who will not be able to attend on that day. This is the reason I am offering the same class on three different days.

Monday, October 2, 6 pm (Chicago time)

Monday, October 9, 6 pm (Chicago time)

Sunday, October 15, 8 pm (Chicago time)

Beginner Cro-hook Class One hour. You will need a double-ended afghan hook (cro-hook). You will need two balls of the same type of yarn in two different colors. The cro-hook should be two sizes larger than the recommended hook size of the yarn. For instance, if your yarn recommends an H hook, you will need a J, or even a K will work. Your yarn choice can be anything in any color. Please do not choose a variegated yarn. Do not choose any novelty yarns or boucle yarns. You will learn basic cro-hook techniques using the regular Afghan Stitch. You will need a basic understanding of regular crochet techniques for this class. All these three classes will be the same. If there is enough interest, I will continue to offer classes to expand upon your technique. You will only be learning the technique and not actually making a finished item. You will have a "swatch" when you finish which can then lead you in other directions to make other projects.

Dates

Monday, October 23, 6 pm (Chicago time)

Monday, October 30, 6 pm (Chicago time)

Sunday, November 5, 8 pm (Chicago time)

Please visit the following website to determine what time that will be for you. My zipcode is 60120.

http://www.timeanddate.com

Is tunisian different than afghan stitch different than "crochet-on-the-double"? I guess the answer is yes but I don't know how. Would anyone care to enlighten me? thanks

Tunisian crochet is a technique where you use the longish afghan hook with the knob on the end. Afghan stitch is just one of the many stitches or combinations of stitches within the Tunisian technique. Tunisian is often called afghan stitch, tricot, shepherd's knitting.

Tunisian can also be done with a longish double-ended hook. This is called cro-hook, crochet on the double and other names as well. Let's see, I belive it's also been called crochet-knit.

Now, there is a trademark protected term of crochenit as well. It is simply Tunisian with the double-ended hook (or cro-hook), but it is only with a size M hook. Of course, the patterns are perfectly fine with any size hook. But, if you come across that term, then that's where it comes from.

This website has free crochenit patterns and you can see what a crochenit hook looks like. http://www.crochenit.com/samples_from_free_patterns.htm#Cap

I made a few of these free patterns, and they were darling. My problem is it has been so many years ago that I need to relearn it. I did not like the plastic feel of the hook though. (By the way, if you get one, sand it smooth a little.) My husband made me a wooden one out of hardwood...it is a dream to work with.

I am looking forward to the classes. I really need a refresher. I have all these lovely MoEZ hooks that have been ignored for a while too.

I hope I can figure out how to connect to the class.

Kim I would really like to take another of your classes. I had fun and learned a lot the other night so Im up for some more. Thanks. When will the class notes be available for the class the other night? Where can I sign up for the Oct. classes?

Hi Joanne,

It was great talking to you before class the other night too. Im sorry you had to leave but Im glad you will be taking another one. I sent you an email but Im not sure if you got it. Have a wonderful evening.

Kim I would really like to take another of your classes. I had fun and learned a lot the other night so Im up for some more. Thanks. When will the class notes be available for the class the other night? Where can I sign up for the Oct. classes?

I'm sorry. I'm, sadly, very behind in just about everything. I have the text from the class saved and I need to edit it and add some html code then I'll get it up on the internet for you. Between being sick and constantly removing Christian from climbing the security gate, I haven't had a lot of time. But, I WILL do it! I promise! :clap

And, no signing up is necessary for the October classes. Just show up and have fun! :)

Kim,

Dont worry about the notes Im not in any big hurry for them. Its more important for you to take care of yourself and your little one. I hope you get to feeling better. I cant wait for the Oct. class.

I think we're supposed to go to the same chat room, at least thats what I remember reading!:think

As far as I know! I set an alarm on my cell phone for the class, only to realize 5 mins later that I'm an hour AHEAD of Kim, not behind. :lol Two more hours to go!

I'm so excited about the class! Too bad this is the only class I will have time for out of the 3 times it is beisng offered and I have to eat dinner at the same time! We'll see how that goes... Also, I'm really slow at learning new crochet stitches so I'm apologizing beforehand for slowing down the rest of the class. I hope the rest of you don't mind!

Okay, I'm finally back home. Yes, the class is on for tonight. Right now, it's 5:15 my time. So, class in 45 minutes. If you don't have the link, I have now placed it in the left column of my blog. But, here it is as well:

http://home.comcast.net/~kguzman/chatroom.html

Remember that I'll be saving the text from the class (barring any unforeseen computer glitches). The only thing I ask is that you're there on time so that we can start the class as I won't be able to go back to the beginning.

I try to make sure that everyone has completed a step before moving on to the next. And, there's never been a problem in the past. We are all patient (after all, we're all crocheters! we aren't anything if not patient!). And, it's not a contest. We're all about having fun and not getting stressed. Enjoy!

Edit: I still have another class text to reformat and edit for internet viewing. I will have that one ready as well as this one probably tomorrow. Again, you'll be able to access them directly from my blog. :-)

AAK! It's 7:10 New York Time, which should be equivalent to 6:10 Chicago time, and I've been trying for 20 minutes to get into the chat room for the class. Each time I click "CHAT," I get a message saying "Cannot Connect, try later."

I'm so disappointed. I've been sooo looking forward to taking this class. Kim, could you please look into this, so people won't be locked out of next week's class?

Thank you.

Hi Jane,

The class is going on now, but like you, I was having problems. I could get into it, but i have both dial up AND a very old computer so would get booted from the room via a ISP error. Kim is going to try to save the text from the classes and have a way for us to access them from her blog (I believe that is how she is going to do it). Then it will also be repeated 2 more times, so maybe you can get in then :)

Sandy

HI Janie and Sandy,,,sorry you couldn't get into this class!! I could get on but couldn't type anything,,so I lurked and followed along, but the text was saved,,,it was good!!

We have now completed our first Tunisian class. I'm not sure why a couple people weren't able to get in. Knowing the internet like I do, I always expect problems with the different servers trying to connect. So, I purposely scheduled the three classes.

The only thing I can stress is that you try to access the chatroom at a time different than the class. It is quite possible that the chatrooms on this server were particularly busy at the time you were trying to connect. In fact, several people connected thirty minutes early (including me) just to make sure that we were able to connect.

But, thankfully, several kind students were able to save the text for me (since I wasn't able to save it this time) and I'll have the text available for you on my blog.

I know that it's more fun to actually BE there. Hopefully, this will make it easier for those unable to attend.

:manyheart

I have now edited the text from the class tonight. And, I still need to edit the other class for the reversible scarf that was on September 23. I hope to get to that later tonight after the kids are asleep.

You can access the text by visiting my blog, then clicking on the link in the left column. :clap

While editing, I noticed that there were a couple of questions that I missed. When attending a class, if I miss a question, it is purely unintentional. Feel free to ask again. :blush

Edit: I have now added the text from the September 25 class which was a cro-hook class, learning the stitches needed for the Reversible Scarf pattern on my website. The class wasn't originally announced here because I was kind of behind. But, the text is there should you wish to review it.

Actually Kim, I did try to access the chat room several times during the past week, and I kept getting the "Cannot connect" message. I assumed it was because there was no class in session at the time, but now I don't know. I have a cable connection, but maybe it has something to do with the security setting on my PC.

I guess I'll keep trying to figure it out, and hopefully, I'll be able to get in next week.

OK, I figured out why I couldn't get into the chat room for Kim's class tonight. I had to download Java software onto my PC. Just wanted to let everyone know in case anyone else had the same problem I did and couldn't connect to the chat room.

OK, I figured out why I couldn't get into the chat room for Kim's class tonight. I had to download Java software onto my PC. Just wanted to let everyone know in case anyone else had the same problem I did and couldn't connect to the chat room.

Thanks so much for letting me know. Glad you got it worked out and look forward to seeing you next week! :yes

Archived