that is one saleslady who really has to work on her People/Business skills!

Posted by Afghaniac

And don't forget: Machines can knit, but they can't crochet. Only people can crochet.

Very true!

:think im confused, there are crocheting machines

:think im confused, there are crocheting machines

A machine cannot replicate the stitches that crocheters make. There's no such thing as a crochet machine.

I Googled it, and even tho Google brings up websites with machines that are called Crochet machines, it's a misnomer. In some languages other than English (and maybe French) the word "crochet" is interchangable with the word "knitting". (most of the sites that I saw saying they had "crochet machines" were in Asian countries..one of the places where the two words are used interchangably)

There are machines that can knit, but so far, no one has invented a crochet machine.

i have a hard time believeing that because crochet things are in fashion right now and even low end stores like walmart have crocheted stuff

The crocheted clothing in stores like WalMart is hand crocheted...probably by some 12yr old in Bangladesh or somewhere like that.

Note to self...avoid the LYS in Plano, TX. :lol

Considering there is only one dedicated yarn store in Plano, not a chain, she knows and I know exactly what "wooly ewe" has shed on the customers. "My yarn is too good for the likes of ... ewe, a crochet lover." :hook

A machine cannot replicate the stitches that crocheters make. There's no such thing as a crochet machine.

I Googled it, and even tho Google brings up websites with machines that are called Crochet machines, it's a misnomer. In some languages other than English (and maybe French) the word "crochet" is interchangable with the word "knitting". (most of the sites that I saw saying they had "crochet machines" were in Asian countries..one of the places where the two words are used interchangably)

There are machines that can knit, but so far, no one has invented a crochet machine.

Yep, I went back to Taiwan and China this past summer and tried to look for cheaper crochet stuff (because of course many things are cheaper over there). I kept explaining to my relatives what I would be looking for when I was shopping but they kept on directing me to stores that sold knitting supplies because the Chinese phrase for knitting is the same for crocheting. My aunt wanted to buy me a "crochet machine" and I had a hard time explaining that it actually is a knitting machine.

Sorry for getting so far off topic... :P

Sandy, you have more energy than I do for this kind of stuff. I agree that your approach just might help a store owner to get a clue, but there's no way I'm going to use my free time to write a letter when I can just shop elsewhere. Store owners can either get their own clues or do without, as far as I'm concerned.

lol. I don't know that I would call it being energetic about it. I am a business owner so can see their side of it. I am the owner and sole employee, so is a bit easier to be 1 on 1 w/ my clients, but I do try to encourage the communication so that I can better serve them.

I also know the owner side of them not telling me I did something wrong, and them not coming back. I then have no idea how I may better improve my business for them, and for others. Through this method, I've developed many long standing clients from as far back as 1997 when I first started.

Just my .02 worth though :)

Sandy

I have never had his problem, personnally, but do have 1 suggestion that i've seen mentioned slightly on here.

WRITE TO THE STORE.

If you remember the wmn's name, include it.

TELL THEM how she treated you and how it made you feel.

That is the only way that they can TRY to make their service better. If the owners do not know, there can be no changes.

Include your contact information. W/ that, they can possibly contact you to apologize and perhaps to find other ways to improve their store.

Sandy

And maybe ...just maaaayyyybeee get something free out of the deal! MUUUHUUUHAHA :dance

I just do not get it...as a person who's crocheted most of her life, I just do not recall ever hearing so much snobbery from knitters to crocheters...The lady that wrote the The Happy Hooker had a section on this in her book...I thought that maybe I led a sheltered life...but after reading what she had to say on the subject, this is more of a new phenomenon...

Sure there will be preferences...I prefer to crochet, but I see the value of knitting, embroidering, needlepoint, quilting, sewing, and whatever...it's just a skill...one is not better than the next in my opinion...but I am the "Possibly Extreme Crocheter..."

I think what's unfortunate though is that this lady used poor business judgment in dealing with a customer. Especially right now when it's more than apparent that crochet (and needlecrafts in general) are HOT right now.

I used to hang out at the yarn store that is literally right next door to where I live. The owner appreciated all needlework...but her preference was knitting. But she never demeaned my crocheting. Why I stopped going to her shop was her continued snarkiness about life in general and how she was treating me...but it had nothing to do with how well or how bad I knitted or crocheted...that's what made me stop going to her shop...

I mean only up until a couple of years ago did I find out that there is this snobbery between knitters and crocheters...this "war" if you will...I swear it didn't exist at the level it's at now when I was growing up...it was just another way to manipulate yarn...it makes no sense to me this anamosity...it's like saying weaving is better than knitting or crocheting...give me a break...

Oh and I just have to add, I've knitted socks and I've crocheted socks...and while the knitted socks are wonderful, the crocheted socks I make are just as good and quicker to make and I can and do wear them in my shoes...it's a preference...I am so sick of the conventional wisdom that says "If you want to make a good pair of socks, knit them only..." Play a different record already.

Oh and just to point out a myth...I've seen my share of "you can't knit a doily..." posts on this site alone, but oh my dears but you can...my aunt gave me a ton of vintage pattern books, mainly crocheting, but with some knitting...and there were some doily books from the 50's that also had a page or two of knitted doilies and edgings...amazing work...beautiful...but my preference is still crocheting for doilies...

I've gone back and read all of this thread...and for the most part I've been lucky with the various yarn shops I've been in. Especially over here in Germany. There doesn't seem to be this war over which is better...they seem to have a better grasp that each has it's place...traditionally speaking, you will see more crocheting done with thread here. Filet crocheted curtains, edgings on hankerchiefs (heck, one of my favorite department stores sells sets of hankerchiefs ready for one to crochet an edging around...) They marvel when they see something different...like the man in Munich (80 if he was a day, you know he'd ran his shop probably at his father's knee onward and in the same location for decades) who just was in awe over my crocheted socks...he was sweet. Sure, over here, people seem to be more traditional in their approach to the needle crafts, and they will have preferences, but most of the time they seem to appreciate at least looking at a new approach to the craft...that's been my experience...

Yeah, you should have told her off a bit more harshly, then punched her in the face.

Which store is this in TX?

Wow, I can't believe a shop owner would act that way toward a paying customer, as has been pointed out previously, crochet takes way more yarn than knitting, so just the increase in sales alone should have made her keep her conceited mouth shut...she's shooting herself in the foot with an attitude like that, and I'd have told her so.

I do both and anyone who loves either craft knows that the popularity of both has never been higher than it is right now...you see articles about it on tv entertainment shows, how stars on certain shows crochet or knit in between breaks of filming and teach eachother, or read articles about it everywhere, not to mention seeing crochet garments in every kind of store.

I've never experienced any kind of animosity in stores here, and I've been crocheting about 16 years or so...I just learned to knit this year. I've never even heard about the acrimony between knitters and crocheters until just recently, and I wonder if the sudden boost in popularity of the crafts has brought this about?

She's obviously been hiding under a rock, because crocheting is massively popular right now. I don't know why some people are prejudiced against crocheting...I don't think people realize how much one can make with crocheting--sweaters, socks, afghans, scarves, etc. In fact, certain things are easier to crochet (if anyone has tried to knit a small circumference in the round on double pointed needles, you KNOW that's the 7th circle of he**).

Hopefully now that crocheting is more popular, people like her will be the exception rather than the rule...

This is just ignorance. I shared last year about going into our LYS and when I was looking through all the yarn a woman approached me asking if I needed help. I told her what I was planning on making and once she heard the word "crochet" she got all upset and said something like "oh, you can't crochet with these kinds of yarn!" I told her that you most certainly can crochet with them and that I do it all the time. She actually thought you couldn't use crochet and then felt an item, and then she basically called me a liar telling me that you could not crochet with the fancy fur yarns as they get too tangled. At the time, a magazine had just come out I think it was Better Homes and Gardens crochet or something like that. It had both crochet and knit in it. Anyway, I noticed she had that magazine on the table and I grabbed it and showed her. She kinda kept quiet after that and after explaining to her that "crochet takes almost 30% more yarn than knitting" I walked out without buying any of her "precious" yarn.

WOW... I never realized this went on either... I knit and crochet... YARN IS YARN PEOPLE!!! IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A DIAPER OUT OF IT... (well, if it was some of that nice $70 a skein stuff, maybe I would reconsider it!!! ;) But seriously though...

A. although it is good PR to ask, it is really none of her business what you do with it after it leaves the store! For all she knows, you are buying it for your three year old to make hair on her stick pictures!!! What would she have said about all those people who wrap yarn around a tin can and make it a penicl holder??? Those are different art forms as well... none better than the other... just different.

B. if you are going to ask, don't say something so rude...

C. If that was the owner, she should seriously find another line of work... or find someone to run the shop for her.

I am not sure how I would react if someone did approach me that way... But I am a little more confrontational than some... WEEEELLLLLL OK... I can be a real b**** when someone pushes me the wrong way!!! :) I would most definitely not shop there again after I told her off of course!!! ;)

Actually, what you should have done is stayed there and picked out everything you would have otherwised purchased... THEN after your basket is all full, you put them on the counter and have her ring them up... after she is all done you tell her... "That is what you can tell your boss you cost her in sales today" and then walk out... Not only does she lose the sale, but she has to put them back as well!! :)

As stated before, it really makes a difference what you are making with the yarn... somethings come out better knit, some come out better crochet!!! If you are experienced enough, you will have formed your preference already... It is not to say that it would not look nice another way though... I happen to like knit sweaters, not crochet sweaters... I get really overheated and can barely stand a sweater at all... let alone the thought of the thick mass of yarn on my arms that crochet would provide... If I had some REALLLY light yarn, I might consider some type of openwork sweater. Needless to say, I have my reasons...

Off the subject, I had a situation with a Dunkin' Donuts in my neighborhood last year... I don't frequent those places much anyway (not a coffee person) but after what happened, I haven't gone back there for what few donuts I do buy... The whole new thing going on these days is those Togo's/Baskin Robins/Dunkin' Donuts trios... All three rolled into one... You can arrive there in the morning and have breakfast... stay for lunch and then have desert!!! :) WELL... My sister and I took my neice in there (hottest day of the summer) we were going to buy three of their ice cream shakes or their fruit breezes... (a glorified, overpriced slushie!)... My sister and I wanted to try a few of the flavors before we decided... (we already had one small spoon of a sample) The guy said with a very heavy accent "Only one!"

To that I said... "Well then... make that NONE instead!!!" My sister, spoon still in mouth, was dumfounded (and slushieless) as we walked out the door!!! We weren't talking about trying all 31 flavors... just two, maybe three!!!

Actually, what you should have done is stayed there and picked out everything you would have otherwised purchased... THEN after your basket is all full, you put them on the counter and have her ring them up... after she is all done you tell her... "That is what you can tell your boss you cost her in sales today" and then walk out... Not only does she lose the sale, but she has to put them back as well!! :)

Me likey!!!! :lol

Yeah, you should have told her off a bit more harshly, then punched her in the face.

Which store is this in TX?

I'm Really not comfortable naming names. I go to a number of yarn stores in the metroplex and it was one of them LOL ( How's that for a non specific answer?) I don't want to chase anyone away from a place they like to shop. I don't want My personal experiance to color another's judgement of a place. And I don't want to start a debate among those who like the place and those who don't and for that reason I'm not going to go into the store's name.

Oh, how incredibly rude, and I think you handled it well. I would certainly not go back to any LYS after an experience like that.

I knit and crochet, taught myself to do both, and I happen to like both equally. The only reason I taught myself knitting first was because it came to me easier. One I learned knitting, crochet came naturally. I think each has it's beauty and uses, and to be a snob about one over the other is just wrong, and certainly bad business.

I probably would have burst a blood vessel in my attempt not to reach over and jackslap that woman into next week.

My LYS owner used to be a snob, but over the years of me frequenting the store she has come around. I have been able to show her some of the quality work I have done and she seems to have been impressed. It has taken me about 6 years to convert her though.

I have now since moved on to converting one of our craft stores. Michaels has 8 rows of crochet booklets and only 4 of knitting. They are always popular for those and have trouble keeping things in stock. However just down the street, they have about 8 books of crochet and 12 rows of knitting stuff wich collects dust. They have some particularly yummy yarns, and people buy those, but they go to michales for the crochet books. I just think it is funny how attitudes channge in 6 blocks.

My parents were on vaca in Michigan. I've crocheted for years but was just teaching myself to knit. My dad came across a yarn store and thought he would pop in and buy me something.

It took ages to get the attention of anyone working there. Then, he confessed that he didn't know anything about yarn but wanted to pick up something for his daughter who was learning to knit. He said they were very patronizing and lost interest in him at some point. He left without buying anything. And let me tell you, he is the type that only buys the very best when starting a new hobby (we share this trait to some degree) and he probably would have spent $200 on stuff had they just been more friendly.

I see you're in Texas. I hope this LYS wasn't Hill Country Weavers in Austin. They are always nice to me when I tell them I crochet. I've even bought crochet books there. There's also a nice, small place in Houston, I think it's called Nimblefingers, that has admired my crochet work when I wore my short n sweet shrug over there.

My parents were on vaca in Michigan. I've crocheted for years but was just teaching myself to knit. My dad came across a yarn store and thought he would pop in and buy me something.

It took ages to get the attention of anyone working there. Then, he confessed that he didn't know anything about yarn but wanted to pick up something for his daughter who was learning to knit. He said they were very patronizing and lost interest in him at some point. He left without buying anything. And let me tell you, he is the type that only buys the very best when starting a new hobby (we share this trait to some degree) and he probably would have spent $200 on stuff had they just been more friendly.

Hi, since I live in Michigan and try to get to lys all over the state, would mind telling me the town it was in. I think I might know, but want to be sure. There is really only on I have found here in Mi that has been like that.

First of all...YAY!!! to your dad. What a wonderfully thoughtful thing to do for his daughter :)

It took ages to get the attention of anyone working there. Then, he confessed that he didn't know anything about yarn but wanted to pick up something for his daughter who was learning to knit. He said they were very patronizing and lost interest in him at some point. He left without buying anything.
A big "BOO!" for this store. Any nice LYS would have fawned over him for wanting to buy yarn for his daughter. What a stupid way to treat customers! :no

wow I have yet to come across any snobbery, I knit and crochet, but i prefer to crochet....Iwork at wal-mart in the fabriqs and crafts section....I love to gab with people about what there doing.....

Michelle