Snobs

You reacted much better than I would have ;) I'm used to getting odd glances (People have a hard time seeing a guy in the yarn aisle of stores). I don't think we have any LYS around here, but I'd probably hesitate to go to them.. especially if people acted like that. Typically I'm not one to keep my mouth shut ;) Bravo for putting that woman in her place!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i haven't gotten a response like that. I have had managers of both my LYS come up to me when I have been looking at yarn and ask what I was going to knit, I simply told them that I am crocheting a project and usually show the pattern. They have been very nice and realize that yes, a sale is a sale, and that I will probably be coming back for more yarn at some point! Both stores also carry a nice selection of crochet books and hooks too!:cheer

I think your answer was pretty good. I'm sure you got your point across.

I haven't received such a rude comment. Usually it is just being ignored once they find out I crochet. But there is one LYS that is very good. They never give me an attitude for crocheting, and they will even track down stuff for me and call me if they find it. I found some cool raffia that way.

I am a firm believer in speaking with my wallet. If they don't want my money, then I'm sure not going to beg them to take it.

I got the same attitude at a LYS in Plano. So, the yarn I had picked out was left right there on the counter, and I haven't gone back.

I was in the same place yesterday and not once did anyone even ask if I needed any help or anything else for that matter. It was like I was invisable or something. We had just driven about 50 miles to get there and they couldn't even acknowledge me. I told my husband although I love their yarn I would never set foot in there again.

you have to wonder how qualified she was to make any comment....if she couldn't tell the top you were wearing was crochet // hand made. Its so frustrating to listen to someone who does not know what they are talking about . I knit " european " style and had a woman make an extremely rude comment to me and she didn't even know how to knit!!!!! It takes all kinds . I too would have walked out and I would have made sure all the members of my crochet //knit group didn't shop there again and of course the manager would have been notified . Sometimes you do have to put your money where your mouth is.

I was in the same place yesterday and not once did anyone even ask if I needed any help or anything else for that matter. It was like I was invisable or something. We had just driven about 50 miles to get there and they couldn't even acknowledge me. I told my husband although I love their yarn I would never set foot in there again.

Note to self...avoid the LYS in Plano, TX. :lol

I would have been in big trouble because I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut:rant , which in my business is a good thing, I get paid to argue and fight :box . You should be commended for your polite reply and strong self control;) , because my goodness how RUDE:angry! I knit and crochet and I much prefer crochet because I feel more creative when I crochet. I am by no means knocking knitting, I have knitted some very nice things, but again creatively speaking I feel that it takes more creativity and imagination to crochet. I have also found that crochet items look more taylored/elegant/well made (to my personal eye) and hold their shape better with most yarns:yarn . Just my observations and opinions:hook .

What a rude experience! People are so rude.

I'm so used to people asking "What are you knitting?" I always say, "I'm crocheting....(blank) and thank them for asking. If it goes farther, I explain the difference.

Take your business elsewhere and don't recommend her place. That will hurt her business.:eek

I crochet and knit and would much rather crochet. I would have left her have it with both barrels. Then I would have proceeded out the door. Crochet items are really in all she has to do is look in the stores. Way back when you weren't fashionable unless you had a crocheted collar on your dress and a hanky with crochet edging with you at all times. I hope when you cool down you place a phone call to that shop and find out who the owner is, and let them know what happened. The sales lady needs some people skills, and if she was the owner she should definitely find another line of work.

I'm surprised no one has suggested this (or at least I didn't see it) but if the snob were just an employee, I'd be contacting the store owner pretty quickly. :angry Then YOU can snub her when she's panhandling on the street while looking for a job.

I know EXACTLY which store you are talking about in Arlington. I've been there once, and will never be back again. I don't know which was worse: the attitude of the owner or the smell of the angora rabbit she had in the store.

Now about the one in Plano... I've never had a problem. And they know that I crochet. I know there are a couple of clerks there that I have told them about, but normally they are really nice and helpful. I'm sorry you had such a bad time. :blush

There is a new yarn store in downtown Dallas on Boll that's only been open a few months. It's a lovely little shop and both the proprietress and the people that work there are very knowledgeable. It's small, but the yarn is quality.

So there are still nice people out there. Good luck.

It is ridiculous to claim that one form of needle art is superior to another. They all have their place. I have been very lucky; no one has ever openly insulted me for crocheting.

How RUDE! I cannot even imagine having someone say that to me. What kind of person behaves that way?

I have received some "looks" when the employee asks me what I am knitting and I tell them that I crochet. It is kind of a "pity" look, like I'm some cheap, hopelessly out of date wannabe crafter. But, at least, no one has ever said that to me.

Nicole

I knit and crochet and would never even think of saying that one is better than the other. The fact that a yarn store owner would come out with a statement like that just shows you that "not all yarn stores are created equal" is truer than ever.

A yarn store is only as good as it's owner and the people who work there, with either their friendliness and willingness to help, or their rudeness and snobby comments.....one makes loyal customers and one makes lost customers.

I'm so glad that you stated your case and left.....it's her loss! :clap

I knit and I crochet and I tat and I love all three of them. Some things work up better knit and some work up better crocheted. They are each unique and can be very beautiful. They can each also be very tacky! It all depends on the skills of the craftsperson and the tastes of the beholder. Beautiful to me may be tacky to you.

Shame on that salesperson!! She was very foolish and short sighted to make such a blanket statement.

As for yarn snobs...I confess, I fear I may be one!! But it is not because I look down my nose at Red Heart...I just honestly don't like it! I don't think less of others who do like it. Does that make me a snob?? I don't think so, and I hope not! Besides, I don't have the $$$ to provide me with the luxury of being a true yarn snob. I drool over all the pretty expensive yarns, but I am forced by my budget to mostly just look!

that is one saleslady who really has to work on her People/Business skills!:eek

Posted by Afghaniac

And don't forget: Machines can knit, but they can't crochet. Only people can crochet.

Very true!

I just still can't fathom, snobbery or not, why any LYS would discourage someone from MAKING A PURCHASE simply because the intended use is for a crocheted item. To me, that is the WORST business strategy on earth, even without the "30% more yarn needed for crochet" bonus!

I completely agree with this. It just makes no sense, economically. That's what I likely would have pointed out to the obnoxious clerk...."Why would you discourage ANY crochet project? EVERYONE knows that you'll sell more yarn to crocheters than knitters!" Yeah, that may or may not actually be true - but I'd say it anyway just to make her look like the idiot she is.

Some people should just stay home and knit and never be let out of the house :P

I just still can't fathom, snobbery or not, why any LYS would discourage someone from MAKING A PURCHASE simply because the intended use is for a crocheted item. To me, that is the WORST business strategy on earth, even without the "30% more yarn needed for crochet" bonus!

I'd think that any sale is a good sale. They're selling yarn, not adopting out a puppy or a child. Oy...

I agree. Yes, I've experienced the LYS snobbery too - lucky not my LYS - those women proclaim, "It's the crocheter!" when I walk in. But, what I don't understand is that we are buying 30% more yarn. Which is more of a sale, right? So, by insulting us, they are losing more of a sale (or future sales) than the average knitter. Duh!

I have never had his problem, personnally, but do have 1 suggestion that i've seen mentioned slightly on here.

WRITE TO THE STORE.

If you remember the wmn's name, include it.

TELL THEM how she treated you and how it made you feel.

That is the only way that they can TRY to make their service better. If the owners do not know, there can be no changes.

Include your contact information. W/ that, they can possibly contact you to apologize and perhaps to find other ways to improve their store.

Sandy

" You need to Knit it, crochet garments are the worst kind of tacky."

Then why do I see tons of crochet garments that people buy. My coworker has a lovely crochet cardigan I would buy. I did buy one, it would have been handmade in thread and I do not have the patience for that... but prefer to crochet one...

But how rude!

I'm someone who wouldn't have said anything... but your reply was perfect!

I have never had his problem, personnally, but do have 1 suggestion that i've seen mentioned slightly on here.

WRITE TO THE STORE.

If you remember the wmn's name, include it.

TELL THEM how she treated you and how it made you feel.

Sandy, you have more energy than I do for this kind of stuff. I agree that your approach just might help a store owner to get a clue, but there's no way I'm going to use my free time to write a letter when I can just shop elsewhere. Store owners can either get their own clues or do without, as far as I'm concerned.

Archived