Snobs

I really don't like snobs. As a crocheter I am well aware that some knitters look down their noses at us lowly crocheters and our craft. And I can live with that. People are entitled to their oppinions. But I had an experiance today at a yarn store that I will not name, that really tweeked my nose out of joint and pretty much ensured that I will not darken the doorway of this establishment again.

I was there picking out some special yarn to make a sweater for my mother in law for christmas and the owner and I got to chatting about my project idea and she said" You need to Knit it, crochet garments are the worst kind of tacky." I happened to be wearing a crocheted top, one that I designed and have made for 5 different people who stopped me when they saw it and asked where I bought it. Wow, talk about insulting.

Being proud of your craft is great but not when you have to run down someone else's craft in the process. That's just wrong.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, talk about rude... I would have let her know I was insulted, and would not be buying my 30% more yarn needed to complete my project in HER establishment...

Im so brash, id have told her where to go! And told her that she had lost my custom and that of everyone i knew who shopped there/

I believe each craft has its uses and I actually prefer crocheted tops to knitted. in fact i prefer crochted everything except socks which i like knitted.

Wow-that's some seriously poor people skills AND business skills! Doesn't she know we crocheters have to use 30 more percent yarn than knitters?

I do both, and it does take more yarn to crochet!!! I don't know why some salespeople are like that..I do have to remind some of them when they ask " What are you knitting with that." me" I crocheting with it."

I would of let her have it. I would have been very upset. I wonder how many doilies she has knitted? Crochet is beautiful & I would be telling everyone that I thought would ever shop there. Sounds like she needs a bunch of crocheters to picket her store!! That would fix her tacky behind.

Oh I was upset, but all I said was I thought I'd do better to buy my yarn for my tacky project elsewhere where the atmosphere was less stuck up, and I left.

I am sure this went right over her head.

I do both. I use to only knit, but I found I could do a lot more with crocheting then with knitting.

I sometimes wonder if they are afraid to admit that crocheting is just as cool as knitting.

It reminds me of Coke and Pepsi. Some some people automatically say coke, even if they mean pepsi.:scrachin It is just like a story I saw on the news the other night about a scarf for the mascot of the baseball team down here (the Devil Rays). They kept talking about knitting the darn thing and how you can do this at the game, and the whole time they showed some one crocheting.:shrug

This is our secret, cause we know what they are missing.:lol

Oh I've heard of a couple in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that seem to enjoy irritating crocheters. But then D/FW is full of snobs of all sorts.

By the way, are you attending the Knit Out and Crochet too this coming Saturday at the Half Price Books on Northwest Highway.........plug, plug.

Oh I've heard of a couple in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that seem to enjoy irritating crocheters. But then D/FW is full of snobs of all sorts.

By the way, are you attending the Knit Out and Crochet too this coming Saturday at the Half Price Books on Northwest Highway.........plug, plug.

Oh I wish I could. I can't though since we are celebrating Hubby's birthday that day.

You would think for as swollen as her head had gotten that it would have popped when she heard the word "crochet". Why do some people get like that? I know of some knitters and I personally think they don't know enough about crochet to know of their difficulties and challenges just like knitting has. To really tell whether they're going to like it or not. I can do both but with knitting it's very, very, very basic, lol. I think there is a way larger variety of projects you can make with crochet than knitting. I prefer crochet because it's alot quicker too. Has anyone tried tatting? I have. I had bought the tools thingies that you need and all and couldn't for the life of me figure that one out, lol. Tatting is similar to crochet isn't it? You can't make an eligant doily with knitting needles. But that doesn't mean I poo on knitters. It's my own preference. Besides you can knit nice scarves too, I can make that with knitting, lol. I now have alot of scarves, lol.

Good for you for saying what you did, Sonny! I understand it upset you, though; it would me too.

But you know, I bet she didn't mean to insult you. I reckon the woman has such a stereotyped picture of "tacky crochet garments" in her head that she didn't even realise the lovely top you were wearing was crocheted! She is obviously way behind the times.

Sorry you didn't get the yarn you wanted, but personally I think you're better off not shopping at a place that is not only ignorant about crochet but disdainful too. :angry

mandilyn, to be fair, you can knit doilies, as well as tablecloths, edgings, etc. but you wouldn't catch me trying! :lol As for tatting, I used to be a fanatical shuttle tatter, though I haven't done any for several years now. I don't think it's at all similar to crochet, though people like Ebay sellers often confuse the two.

Smiles,

I knit :knit and crochet :hook (as if you could not tell by my screen name). As I have stated in other posts, I have been knitting since I was 5 and just recently taught myself to crochet. I am not sure why I was only taught to knit as my mother and granmothers, all three, did/do both.

Anyway... I have enjoyed crocheting so much that my knitting needles (with their various ufo's) sat unused for 3 months! I just recently picked up one of my knitting projects to finish it as the B-D it is for is at hand. I enjoy both arts. While in each, one uses a tool to make yarn :yarn into material, they are very different. They each have their benefits as well as drawbacks, and there are some things that are better suited to each respective medium.

I agree with Tampa Doll, I think crochet is much more versatile. Shaping is easier, and for me I can see patterns in my head :confused easier in crochet than with knitting. It is also, as so many have pointed out, quicker to do.

I have had the snobbery from both sides, but I do find knitters to be more arrogant in general, regarding their art form. I was even shunned by a specific group of knitters because I refused to use wooden needles (as these are so en vougue), but I learned on aluminums (and steel, which is what I love but they are so hard to find) and that is what I prefer. I also get poo-pooed :2nono by knitters because I do not like to knit in the round. I knit most things flat and seam them up. Knitting in the round is just so ticky, using 3-5 needles is not easy-I can do it, but don't care to :yuck.

Crocheter's also seem to be less snobbish about their yarn choices. Alot of knitters I know would not be caught dead using Lion Brand :no , or Caron :ohdear, to say nothing of Red Heart :thumbdown (three of my favs!!! :yes ). I never joined a knitting forum, because the air was rather stuffy, but I LOVE :manyheart C'ville!!! :cheer

Remember, snobs are just insecure anyway. Turn the other cheek at snide comments and keep turning out fabulous crocheted items!!!

I've experienced the snobby yarn store worker myself. I do both and I enjoy doing both. My mom would be one of those 'snobs'. She said once that she thought crochet things were tacky, and that knitted things are just better made. I told her that a well made garment is just that, no matter what it is made from or if it was knitted or crocheted. They offer different looks.

I don't know why there are some people who just can't let people be. You do your thing, I'll do mine...it is all good!

Oh and to add. A yarn snob is a yarn snob.

I just still can't fathom, snobbery or not, why any LYS would discourage someone from MAKING A PURCHASE simply because the intended use is for a crocheted item. To me, that is the WORST business strategy on earth, even without the "30% more yarn needed for crochet" bonus!

I'd think that any sale is a good sale. They're selling yarn, not adopting out a puppy or a child. Oy...

I totally agree. that was rude of the sales lady.

I do both. and I am not a snob.

I hate it when people look down on crocheters or knitters or home sewers. ( I make some of my clothes too).

I think each needle work is a work of art. It takes long sometimes hours to do what we do.

I love all the things I do. Wheter , knitting . crocheting , quilting. sewing a garment All are special

It takes special people to do special work like we do.

I will not take it kindly someone who calls me a snob or I am snoby.

I like to do it all.

I wish the lady would have said that to me. I would have been polite[ ;but I would have voiced my opion at her rudeness. PINKROSES

Oh I was upset, but all I said was I thought I'd do better to buy my yarn for my tacky project elsewhere where the atmosphere was less stuck up, and I left.

Good for you.

Personally I've gotten to where I'd just say "Well I'll take my TACKY money and go spend it somewhere else because nothing is as TACKY as rudeness."

:hug

I have had this kind of thing happen again and again at many yarn stores. When a staff-person learns that I crochet, I'll get a look of pity and a verbal advertisement for the knitting classes the store offers. Or worse: a lecture about how knitting is so vastly superior. Hmph.

I can think of a number of snappy come-backs, but it's just not worth it for me. So instead of giving my business to the LYS, I buy almost all of my yarn and crochet supplies online.

its happened to me before too... i knit and crochet

in craft stores (acmoore...) and LYS

one woman looked at me like EWW YOUR GOING TO CROCHET WITH MY YARN

and ive gotten reactions where they come over to help... find out i crochet.. and walk away without helping me

and i get looked down on for my age, im 16 (look younger though) and they dont take me seriously even when im with my grandmom

sometimes my grandmom reacts by bragging about my even tension:hook

theres this one LYS that i cant stand, besides doing some of the above to me one day i was looking for purple yarn and the woman kept showing me pinks... i rarely go there but sometimes i have to

I think crochet is much more versatile. Shaping is easier, and for me I can see patterns in my head :confused easier in crochet than with knitting. It is also, as so many have pointed out, quicker to do.

I never joined a knitting forum, because the air was rather stuffy, but I LOVE

same here

as for a knitting forum try craftster.org (they have a section for knit and crochet)

Archived