Hope Chest

Does anyone on here make things for their "hope chest"? For your future children or just to have items in general? I plan to make quiet a bit of baby blankets and animals, and various other items. I was just wondering if this is a small town thing, or if a lot of people actually do this?

I've had a hope chest since High School(18yrs ago) and have always kept mementos in it, wedding stuff, my favorite outfits from when the kids were babies, booties that had been made by my Great-grandmother, for me, that they each wore etc.. I'd never thought to put up baby things I made for them but I think that is a wonderful idea, especially with all the darling pattterns out there. BTW I grew up in a Southern Calif. suburb of L.A. and now live in a suburb of San Francisco, I wouldn't consider hope chests "small town", maybe just sentimental.:manyheart

My great grandma was horrified one day when she gave me something for my "glory box" and I hadn't a clue what she was talking about! I was perhaps 14 at the time. She explained it was a chest I should keep things in for when I want to move out of home. Linen, cutlery, dinnerware etc. So all my babysitting money went on things for that box for the next years. I hadn't heard of the concept of a hope chest before now, but what a lovely idea! I do keep special things in what was my glory box so now I might start adding to it :)

Funny you should mention a hope chest as I was just talking about getting a proper one to put at the end of the bed :) I keep lots of sentimental goodies now in just regular boxes/plastic totes. When I moved from Canada I had to leave lots behind.

I've had a hope chest since I was 16, got it for my Sweet 16. I have always kept mementos (notes and NKOTB stuff when i was younger, yearbook, etc when i got older). there are some baby clothes in there from when i was a baby, a few things give to me by my mom, some stuff from high school, and yes, I make baby stuff and throw it in there too.

I think it is a great tradition to carry on, even though it doesn't mean the same as it use dto...dowry just isn't the same anymore...but it's all about rememberance and saving things. Hope chests are a great way to do that!

Does anyone on here make things for their "hope chest"? For your future children or just to have items in general? I plan to make quiet a bit of baby blankets and animals, and various other items. I was just wondering if this is a small town thing, or if a lot of people actually do this?

Well, I had one. My mother started it for me when I was born. I already have items for my daughter's hope chest too.

I was just wondering if this is a small town thing, or if a lot of people actually do this?

But I was raised in a small town and I currently am raising my children in a small town. I am a small town kind of gal. :hook

I keep three different types of "hope chests". although none are actually in a true hope chest. They do have some really gorgeous chests out there now.

My Grandmother taught me to keep one chest for all those mementos of our family and one for my children's future...things like linens, silverware, plates, etc. The third is for items I have made as gifts or for future grandbabies. :manyheart

I didn't have one so, I was sure to start one for each of my children when they were born. I had so much fun with this (and still do) that I decided to take it to a different level. I now create a "Wedding (or Bride's) Chest". To make a long story short, about 2 years ago I was commissioned by a friend of my mother to create a "trousseau" for her grandaughter, who was about to be married. A retired (woodworker) neighbor created a mini-chest, about 1/4 the size of a regular hope chest, which I white-washed to make it look old, and used brass filigree hardware. I lined it with thin sheets of cedar, padded and satin covered the inside of the lid. It's contents consisted of a set of bed linens with a crochet pineapple edging on top sheet and pillowcases, 3 doilies, 6 hand embroidered linen napkins, a vintage style night gown with crochet yolk, a lace handkerchief baby bonnet, white satin ballet slippers embelished with lace crochet trim, a 6-pc Oneida silverware place setting (each silverware setting was wrapped in a square of white velevet with a hand embroidered edge, and bow-tied with satin ribbon), an Irish lace crochet drawstring jewelry bag (which grandma added an heirloom string of pearls and a beautiful ruby brooch), and last but not least, an elbow-length pair of Irish crochet gloves. What a challenge!!! I spent 6 months working on the whole thing but when all was said and done, it was stunning. Okay, I've rattled on enough. Point being...A Hope Chest is a treasure that will last for many, many generations and no, it's not a small-town thing. :rose

I received my hope chest at sweet 16, it is an antique and I just had to have that particular one, not a new one for me, yuck. 2 of my daughters also have antique ones, and a third unfortunately lost hers in a fire. They hold all our cherished memories.

I have 4 granddaughters the oldest is 8. I was thinking about starting some small things for hers. I know she still seems so young, but time goes by so fast. I myself think every girl should have a hope chest with homemade goodies, but I don't think many do any more.

I know (or at least I think) these are typically a girl thing.. but I semi started one for myself. I live in what I would refer to as ghetto college student housing.. A townhouse that is owned by a rental agency in a row of townhouses that are all cookie cutter and have seen their share of abuse for the past 30 years. That being said, with roommates its hard to have nice things for any length of time as they get misused, misplaced or broken.

One of my goals for this year is to put away enough money to put a down payment on a house, so I've begun putting some small things away for when that happens to ensure that the nice things stay nice. I don't have a true chest, just a spot in my closet where all the goodies go so that when I'm able to move out I have a decent start with nice things like silverware and dishes and a set of glassware that all match ;) I'll definately be adding some afghans and stuff like that into the mix just as soon as the holiday season is over and I can actually be greedy/selfish and make stuff soley for me ;)

I think this is really neat. I had only recently heard of them myself but I found out that my boyfriend and I pretty much have one just not properly. We started buying things for when we move out to get our own place a year and a half ago. All we really lack is a couch and chair so I think we've done pretty good by that.

But for myself, I just started a little blue baby blanket for the future. And if I don't have any boys, I plan to pass that down to my girls for their future boys. So I plan to make quiet a few baby blankets (because they're so sweet) and maybe a little crocheted outfit and some booties. I definitely am going to make a few afghans, a couple of doilies if I can muster up the nerve, and possibly books to start their library :D... I'm determined to have readers lol

But that's my idea for the one I just started :)

I wanted one as a girl but we never had the money or room.

Since then I've been married twice, lived in mostly apartments, and still don't have the money.

So overall I don't need one. I'm also kind of weird but I don't believe in saving stuff for future kids or grandkids, like making blankets and things. You never know if there will be any. And when you move a lot and/or live in a small place, it's just not practical for having more junk.

I save things my kids already had, like their coming home outfits, first Christmas outfits, etc.

As for memories, I'd rather have them in scrapbooks, frames, or other easy to look at areas.

:)

Empress, your post makes me sad. A Hope chest is about having hope for the future and it bothers me when people think the future will possibly/probably be vacant.

If you think about it (especially remembering 9/11) just planning to make a Christmas present for someone is an act of hope and belief that the family will come together and share joy and turkey. Making some dishcloths for a future home says, we will prevail.

I am seriously thinking of starting a Ygroup for this since the other one has so much down time.

I purchased a cedar chest for my daughter for her Hope Chest at a yard sale. As soon as we refinish it I will make a bedspread for her, napkins, and such. As she grows up she will add items to it as well.

I don't leave my son out either. We have a "tool chest" for him. So when he gets older he won't have to worry about putting a lot of money into tools and such. It will all be there for him.:)

Empress, your post makes me sad. A Hope chest is about having hope for the future and it bothers me when people think the future will possibly/probably be vacant.

I wasn't trying to make anyone sad. How much sadder would it be to have to give things away that you'd made hoping to use.

Doesn't matter, bottom line for me is there was never room and I just don't need one. I've got my two kids and a grandchild. I have fun making and buying stuff for them now especially with so many more and better patterns out there than before. :)

I don't have a real chest really but I'd like to get one. Maybe I'll get an ufinished one and finish it myself. For the last few years I've been picking up thing on sale that I will need if I ever get out of my parents home. (hopefully soon since today marks my 21st b day.) I just need a car, some furniture and money now-the Bank of Laura has started cutting people off. I've got dishes and silverware that I picked up half off at the store I work in. (Tip: watch those demo/ displays of such in you local grocery store. Whatever left is usually marke down 25 to 50%.)

Hey BreaGia, I'm just a few days older than you :D lol so HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :cheer:clap

I think I'm going to ask my dad to make me a cedar chest when he gets the time and just put a clear coat finish on it. I LOVE the way cedar smells so it'll make everything in my chest smell so good. I'm excited. I don't expect to have kids for another 2 or 3 years (my fiance and I are getting married April 21st of next year) so we're going to settle in a bit before having kids, but that'll give me plenty of time to prepare :)

I am seriously thinking of starting a Ygroup for this since the other one has so much down time.

That would be very cool. I just signed up for that one you suggested last night but I still haven't gotten a response from them. We could give each other good ideas of what to make and stuff like that. I think it would be very neat indeed :D

I don't leave my son out either. We have a "tool chest" for him. So when he gets older he won't have to worry about putting a lot of money into tools and such. It will all be there for him.:)

My mom started a tool box for my son when he was 2, I think it's a great idea. He loves his tools & it's so practical!

I would agree with Empress and think of it as a future chest for an already existing offspring (stuff for your first home, for college, NOT for grandbabies). Two of my mother's three children did not have any children of their own, myself included. Think of the heartbreak that might have occurred after she'd invested all that time and energy into making all those baby clothes and then there were no grandchildren. Then I would have wondered if she was disappointed in me or resented my not having children, which would have led me to resent her, which would have blown up into "How dare you plan MY life for me..." Yes, I know most people expect grandbabies. I expected to have kids, too, but it never happened. I'm not sad about that now, although for a while I was. For whatever reason I was no destined to have kids. I'm sure there's a reason why. But there are many, many good things about not having children, and I don't regret that they didn't happen.

Wait till the grandbabies are on their way and then have an orgy of baby clothes and blanket making.

Now, get back to me in 40 years when I'm very old and decrepit and rueing not having someone who has to take care of me and change my diapers...:P

This isn't for my future grandkids, it's for my kids. But if I have girls, I will definitely do this with them as I'm doing this on my own without my mom's help. I'm 21, planning a family pretty soon and I wish I already had some items, stuff that I had when I was little and things like that, so that I could just pass them on to my kids. I think it's a very neat and very good idea. It's a tradition that I want to start and hopefully it will continue after I'm gone years and years and years from now :)

I guess I'm just superstitious enough to think that if you assume something will happen, it won't. Like my cousin in the 1970s who bought a big station wagon for all the kids she was going to have immediately after she got married, and then couldn't get pregnant for medical reasons. After years and years of trying (the old fashioned way, not this new-fangled assisted way :lol ), they happily adopted 5 kids (including a set of 3 siblings--how awesome is that!?!). Usually I think I'm an optimist, but I guess there's enough of a pessimist in me to not want to tempt fate. Ever. they don't like it when you do that. Don't count your chickens and all that...

I'm old enough to know what a hope chest is and what it was used for. The idea is wonderful, the passing on of family things to the next generation is wonderful, and even edging things like tablecloths and napkins and pillow cases to save for the future is great. I barely have enought ime to make anything to use NOW! :lol

I wish I did have a hope chest, but ended up being a little toy box for my daughter, so now I have made myself a "hope stash" lol. Until I get get a tote box or something to put the things in. But anyhooo yes I have thought alot about making items for the future for my kids. Baby blankets, trinket bags alittle bit of everything I think they would like that I can make. I just hope they don't get rid of any of it, lol:lol . This is something that i feel I'll always be working on and thinking about.:)

Archived