When it just doesn't turn out

What do you guys do with your half-finished projects that just aren't going to turn out like it's supposed to?

I've been working on a blanket for two months that is supposed to be a wedding gift for a friend. I laid it out tonight to measure it, and one end is significantly larger than the other. It's a gradual increase, I must have been adding stitches every row. I haven't been happy with it, now I know why.

I'm too far in to rip it all out and start over, and it's homespun which doesn't frog worth a darn anyway. So I'm going to edge it out tomorrow and give it to the dog. I'll have to buy a wedding gift for the friend.

What do you do with these disasters?

I'm with you on this one. I also have a baby blanket made from homespun. It also ended up with one side wider than the other. It's been sitting in my storage closet. I haven't known what to do with it.:think

Esmy

I have a tank-type top that is all done except some edging, but it just didn't come out right. The buttons are a little two small. I used caron ss and the top turned out heavier than i wanted. Since it was also the first top I made, it turned otu a little big. Ive woven some ends in, so frogging would be a pain. Right now, it is sitting in a walmart bag in the office collecting dust. I haven't a clue what to do with it.

Nicole

if it can't be frogged I usually donate the pieces to the animal shelter; they don't care if its a sleeve, a baby blanket...round or square. sometimes i sew it into a pillow cover, sew to desired shape stuff and ignore the extra.... it simply bcomes more stuffing. I have also made unfinished project into totes by ironing on fusible webbing, available at fabric shops, and a matching fabric ( be careful it could become another addiction, buying fabric lol ) Once the project is fused sew up your tote, fill with yarn and enjoy!!!!! Don't look at these things as mistakes,but rather as challenges

One tank top I knitted and finished, just never seemed to have the right look or feel, so I ended up frogging it about half way (for now) and using the yarn for something else. Another sweater (that was to to a short sleeved cardigan to go over said tank top, also knitted) the sleeves were too small for my upper arms, I was so frustrated with that because I had measured and measured and measured and thought I had it right (these were my own designs too) After not looking at the pieces for about 3 years, I took the sleeves off, stitched up the front, edged everything and made it a pull over sleeveless vest that I wear all the time now...

Another thing I did with a knitted piece that was suppose to be the beginnings of a sweater for my DH, but the shop ran out of the yarn, I ended up making a purse out of it...

Crochet-wise? I've had an afghan or two end up with a slight increase in stitches...depending on how bad the increase is, if it's relatively slight, I just try to camoflage the edge with a border...usually works out...

One sweater I did last year, it turned out great...and then I washed it in the machine and it ended up all stretched out...but the buttons (which were heavy pewter, seems to be too heavy for the sweater...and I was going to go back and reinforce everything, but after not getting around to it, I gave up, cut the buttons off and gave the sweater to charity...it's a nice short sleeved cardigan, but I'm not happy with it...

I was back home in the states last spring and was going through stuff I had had in storage and came across UFO's from YEARS ago that I could not even begin to tell you what I thought I had wanted to do or who the project was intended for...one was a half finished afghan that I think I was doing for my brother and his wife for their wedding present over 9 years ago!!!!! I ended up giving it to my cousin...

Over here I was going through a rubber maid tote that had some forgotten yarn in it, and found the beginning of another afghan...I gave that to the cat...and she turned her nose up at it (which is most unusal...) but it's lining a basket at the moment...

Just some of the things I've done.

I frog it...I really mostly use Simply Soft as I have eczema on my hands and the rougher yarns always kick off problems for me, so frogging isn't a problem...and I weave as I go with the ends, but it doesn't usually give me any trouble...the only problem is when my younger DD "helps" me with the frogging...my first version of a tank top didn't turn out quite how I wanted it, so I frogged it, and she "helped"...yeah....I've still got probably a full skein's worth to untangle LOL!!!

I guess I'm an oddball, but I find frogging & rolling it into a ball to be sort of relaxing too....I even tend to relax when I'm untangling the messes that the little one helps me make LOL!!!

There have been a few times that something got really FUBAR on me that I just didn't have the energy to frog...those things I finish off and give to my nearly 6 yr old DD...she uses them for dresses, or fancy clothes or whatever she needs for whatever she's playing...I've seen things used as table cloths, hotpads (when she plays cooking) whatever the kid thinks she needs LOL...

Jessie

I started a baby bunting that.. I don't know who wrote the pattern, or if they even tried it more than once, but it was NOT working out and it was going to take me three years to do. I ended up ripping it all out. It wasn't Homespun, just WW, but... I know how you feel... :(

Tina

When I frist started crocheting I tried my hand at a dog sweater that had a complex stitch. It was for my puppy at the time. Well it still sits in my project craft bag and the puppy is now 15 to 20 lbs. Just never did anything with it

I came across a pattern for a teapot clock dishcloth when searching for patterns for the tea cosy swap. "Great," I thought, "I'll make it for my partner, but I won't make the clock face part." Well, the pattern was written kind of strange, but I tweaked it and it was looking okay until it came time to do the spout, which was crocheted separately, along with the handle, and then attached. Well, let's just say it was all out of proportion to the tea pot and looked rather, um, shall we say, racy given the color I'd made it? Use your imagination. I was horrified, crumpled it up, and it's stuck in a corner hidden right now. I used three different colors so it would be all scraps to frog it. Awful, just awful!

So I'm going to edge it out tomorrow and give it to the dog.

I have done exactly this (with Homespun) and the doggie never knew she was getting my rejects.

Whether I frog it and reuse the yarn depends on how much I like the yarn. I have been known to throw icky yarn in the trash.

Archived