How often has this happened to you?

I made (designed) a cardigan for my youngest, and then my son (5) wanted a sweater too. So a trip to Hobby Lobby (with certain yarn at 1/2 off) later, we came home with the materials needed. In the heat of summer I make my DS a cute hoodie with kangaroo pocket. It was cool this weekend, cool enough for him to wear it. Wouldn't you know it?:angry The neck is too tight. It can go on, with a fight, but it's a Fight.

:think I know I checked gauge, and measured him and the patterns, etc, and the only part that's really to small is the neck. I don't think DS has a big head--all his other clothes fit fine that way--so I guess I have only the pattern to blame!

So now I get to make him a new sweater, with a bigger neck (and of course, it will have to have a kangaroo pouch...he specifically requested that!):P . I think that had better go on top of my to do list...above the fall sweater for the youngest.

How often do you follow a pattern, and it all goes perfectly....except for ONE exasperating thing? (Maybe I should stick to designing my own!):hook

I sell a lot of children's sweaters. I always leave a slightly open neck, one or two rows if dc, more if single crochet . some kidlets have large heads and some don't like having anything tight around their neck. I believe that patterns are simply a guide line and you have to adapt each one to your own needs. In your case, I would assume your son has a big head, and always make the neck more open or bigger than the pattern

Same thing just happened to me with my younger DD...it was the very first knitting project I've done since putting my needles down 4 1/2 yrs ago, and also my very first knit wearable...made a sweater for my little one...fits beautifully, except around the neck...I decided since I just made a baby blanket with the same yarn I will just add the sweater to the package and send them off to the expecting momma LOL!!

Jessie

I think whoever you are making for you need to check it as you go. Try it on for body length and fit around, hold up the sleeves and check on against arm before attaching, check neck before going on. Would it be that difficult to just unravel down the neck again? I don't know if this is a pattern where the hood is made separate and then put on, if so, that's real easy. If not, it still isn't as big as redoing the whole sweater.

The younger children are, the smaller their necks are and the bigger their heads are in proportion to the rest of their bodies. Just look at a newborn, I swear my babies head was 1/3 of him! Anyway, another problem I've seen that was even in the pics made for the pattern(!) is that the hoods were not big enough, they needed to be longer. I don't remember where I saw it, but there were 2 kids, one hood fit fine, and the other one, his sweater was raising off his shoulders with this tiny hood over his head that was not long enough to come down to his shoulders! So, always check hood size that comes down to the sweater where it lays before attaching. If it is knit on, then put it on and hold it togher over the head to make sure it is tall enough before sewing shut.

My kids all have big heads. I had a hoodie with a kangaroo pocket pattern I wanted to try, too; so I will keep this in mind. In my own experience, (I am just starting out crocheting wearables this year, by the way) I am making a shrug for myself... I followed the pattern, my guage is right on, but the sleeves look too short. (And it's not like my arms are long, at all.) Fortunately I haven't sewn it together yet, so I can still fix it if I need to, but.... :rolleyes I think I even went two inches longer than the pattern suggested, too. (It is in the new L.A. shrugs booklet...)

Sorry about your sweater. :hug

Tina

is it possible to leave some of the neck side seam open , crochet round this opening to neaten and make a couple of loops for buttons, I used to do this for my children when they were small... I chose matching buttons but sometimes I would go for themed buttons ie trains/cars little ducks etc. depending on the age and likes of the child..

:cheer What type of neckline is it?

When you are making a V or Crew neck, the hole should look too big before you add the neckband.

Can you make the pieces longer from where you started the neck shaping?

If you do the same number of extra rows on all parts, you will then be able to make more stitches when you do the neck band, and end up with a larger head hole.

Also, if you do less rows of neckband, it pulls in less.

This should be fixable without pulling the whole thing right undone.

Hope this helps.

Colleen.:hug

I think whoever you are making for you need to check it as you go. Try it on for body length and fit around, hold up the sleeves and check on against arm before attaching, check neck before going on. Would it be that difficult to just unravel down the neck again? I don't know if this is a pattern where the hood is made separate and then put on, if so, that's real easy. If not, it still isn't as big as redoing the whole sweater.

Unfortunately, with the way the hoodie was made, it looks like I'd have to do a lot of rebuilding...So that's what I get for not testing head size I guess. :P Oh well...now I have a great excuse to buy more yarn!:clap

The pattern I'm using for DD looks like it has a better neck opening, so I may just adapt that one for DS. I think I'll look for someone with a smaller child (a size smaller, my DS is THIN) and donate it. then it still gets some good use.:yes

Thanks for the thoughts though...sadly, I mentally worked on it, and it wouldn't go.

My thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions and sympathy. I'm leaning toward small-head designer on this one.:lol Now I know for next time, and will keep an eye on the neck opening. Crazy thing, it's not even the first wearable I made, so you'd think I'd be watching. Never occured to me though:blush

Again. Thanks. Keep the stories coming.

Archived