Comfortghan for my Sister

Seneca and Scooch

I haven't felt up to posting very much lately because my sister Cyndy has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon Cancer. :( She was having pains in her upper right side and some tests showed lesions on her liver. She had a colonoscopy done and they found a mass and took her in for surgery. The biopsy results showed that it spread from her colon to her lymph nodes and liver. :cry She is currently in a clinical trial and undergoing chemo. Bless her heart, she has a heart full of Faith but it goes without saying there are times when she is down and I thought a comfortghan would bring her some cheer and keep her toasty warm now that Fall and Winter are approaching. She lives in Central New York and it can get really cold up there. Even though she hasn't started losing her hair, it's starting to get thin so I am going to make her some chemo caps to keep her head warm and to give to the clinic.

If you would like to help me make a comfortghan for her, I would greatly appreciate it. :hug 12 inch squares made out of Red Heart would be great. Her favorite colors are shades of Country Blue, Mauve and Sage Green. Any soft colors would be fine.

Please send good thoughts and/or prayers that the chemo continues to work and that she has the strength to fight.

Thank-you, :hug

Coralie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:hug to you and you sis. Its got to be so rough for your whole family now. Please pm me your address and I'll do a couple up for you. I actually have some of the redheart country blue. My prayers will be with your sis and your family.

I will make one, too. My stepdad has Non-Hodgkins' Lymphoma. He was doing chemo but it made him so sick, he stopped. :( (And he was going to Chicago for *milder* chemo.) My thoughts are with your sister. :hug

Could you PM me your address? Thanks and I will go find a comfortghan square right now.

Tina

I would like to send a few squares too. please send me your address..my mil is going thru the same thing...she is on chemo for colon ca and it was in her nodes and liver. she goes for a cat scan on 9-18 to see if she is responding. she has all her hair and hasnt lost any of it either time she's been treated.

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

Coralie, I am so sorry to hear of your sister Cyndy's bout with cancer. :( Please count me in on the comfortghan you are making for Cyndy. When do you need the squares by and I will need your address. Either you can PM it to me or send me an email.

While I am not currently in a position to commit to making squares, I'd like to offer some thoughts and prayers to you. Cancer has struck my family in many ways, some with better results than other. I want to tell you that I currently am the Director of the department that plans educational activities for a Medical Center in the Hudson Valley in NY. We have a conference planned for October where a series of professors who specialize in colorectal cancer will be presenting for the physicians in our region. I will be sure to pay close attention.

While I am not a Dr. I have obviously spent a tremendous amount of time over the years with physicians and learning what they learn. Colon Cancer is one of the "slower" moving cancers and THAT works in your sister's favor. Perhaps in due time, her prognosis will change based upon current research.

If I might add to this My MIL was diagnosed a few years ago at 52 years young, with non-hodgkins lymphoma and underwent emergency surgery. We later learned that she had a 6% chance of survival at that time. She battled through the surgery and the chemo afterward, to be free of cancer and 3 months later had a resulting relapse. The relapse and corresponding pathology revealed that the diagnosis was incorrect and she actually had Burkitts lymphoma, and the treatment went on. 2 years later...she had a bone marrow transplant, special thanks to her brother from across the country. It has been 2 years since her transplant, she has been 100% cancer free since then. We know that her life today was a result of the ever evolving results of research that didnt' exist upon her first diagnosis.

Remember...initial prognosis of 6% chance of survival and 4 years later we look at a beautiful, healthy vibrant woman, with new DNA, who would absolutely NOT give up!

My prayers are with you and your sister, its trying on EVERY member of the family. Just be the best sister you can....and talk to your own physician about having regular exams yourself.

Much love and best wishes.

I'm sorry, I've had a crumby internet connection. One minute we are up and the next we are down while they fix the problem.

Thank-you so much for your well wishes and prayers for Cyndy. :hug I talked to her this morning and told her about them and it really touched her heart. I didn't tell her about the comfortghan because I want it to be a surprise. :wink But it's hard not to because I'm so excited.

Shellybrook, Thank-you for sharing that with us. :hug It warms my heart to hear how well your MIL is doing. As you know, it's a long, tough road full of many ups and downs but hearing stories like you shared about your MIL brings hope and encouragement. Cyndy is currently in a clinical trial. When she was accepted, the doctor explained that there were 3 treatments and the computer would decide which she would receive. She was chosen for the strongest of the 3. One week she gets the strong treatment and the following week she get the protein treatment. I don't know the exact medical terms of her chemo in regard to what she gets each week. On the week that she gets the strong treatment, she brings her pump home on Tuesday and then goes back in to have it removed on Thursday. It's during this treatment that she gets sick but they have worked real hard to bring that to a minimum. Usually when she returns on Thursday, she has to be hydrated and then she feels better. The following Tuesday, she goes in for about 4 hours or so. 2 weeks ago, her white blood count dropped to 1800 and she wasn't able to have chemo but the next week when she went in, it was back up to 5200! She feels very comfortable with her doctors and medical team. They take very good care of her and want to know right away if anything is wrong or doesn't seem right.

Bless her heart, I know it's so hard on her but she has a very positive out look and makes the most of the days that she feels well.

Well for somebody who is kind of shy, I just rambled on and on,,,,,,,

Thank-you,,,,,:hug

Coralie

Hi Coralie,

I've got two squares done and hope to have them in the mail to you tomorrow. I haven't blocked them since they'll have to be scrunched up for mailing, but hopefully you'll have them by Saturday or next Monday. Big :hug to you both, Helen

Coralie- I am sorry it has taken me so long to get this one square out to you. I wanted to crochet Cyndy a cancer awareness pin, too. I looked up the different colors for each pin. Then I had to go to the store to buy pins... Well I was there, I bought her a 'thinking of you' card, too. I didn't really know what to say (not even haven met her!) but I managed to fill up the card front and back. :P I hope it will help her just knowing there are people who do care. :hug

I am going to try and get this out in the mail today. :)

Tina

Archived