Does anyone else hide yarn from their spouse?

CLLinda

There isn't anyway that I can hide my stash~I have storage tubs full....I bet you could find yarn in every room of my house. :blush Well maybe not that bathroom but I bet there is a crochet magazine or 2 in there!

I love to purchase yarn~especially when it is 1) on sale or 2) on clearance! I guess you could say that it is a habit~but at least it is a legal one! :devil

:thinkI never thought about those storage bags that you remove the air from with your vacuum! That would be really helpful too! Hum~wonder where you can find those??

mgf~:yay

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok now this was an all too funny thread and I thought I was alone :lol Yes I have also not really hidden the yarn just bought it and brought it in and put it away while he was at work. I have so much already, that he just doesn't really notice. Or I'll like recently, when I ended up on Ebay buying those old 1800's pats I kinda stopped telling him at $25 what amount I was at, :P Now of course I have my spending limit and he has his and I really don't go out of mine, It looks like I do because he spends his on going out to lunch, pop and dorritos, etc. and I alot of times either don't spend mine, spend on the kids, or save up, then actually have something to show for mine so he thinks I'm spending more than I am. And he goes crazy over the yarn everywhere. But I just tell him there are worse addictions out there, just be happy it's just yarn :hook

Kim

I get most of my yarn, from ebay, or Hobby lobby, and I'm always the first home. And I just put it with the rest of my stuff, (like he would know) So I guess You might say I hide it, considering I never tell him of the new purchases. :clap

I try, but my significant other is too smart for me...

The funniest was the time we were at the ATM and I withdrew a lot of cash..."I know what you're doing...you're going to buy yarn with CASH so you don't leave a paper trail!!!" :lol

Sometimes, I go shopping on Saturdays or Sundays when he is home. He doesn't want me to go buy more yarn, so I just usually leave it in the car until Monday when he goes to work, or if he goes out somewhere, I bring it in the house and stash it.

Does anyone else do this? Is it wrong? I know I have a lot of yarn already, but not the correct colors always.

Besides, it's fun to have a stash!!

:manyheart

No one can understand this compulsion - except another "hooker"!

Yes, it's either a new pattern we HAVE to try...or we need a different color for a project we're trying to finish...LOL. A confession: I also do this with books:blush ...:hook

This thread surprised me a little bit. I don't hide things from my husband. In fact, he is the one who encourages me to get what I want. At this time of year, most of the yarn is for gifts--or swaps--but if I see something I like, he tells me to get it. Of course, I'm not spending more than $3 a skein (as a general rule). He does think I have too much yarn, and I do need to go through it as soon as the holidays are over and get rid of some of it, but he has his video games, movies, and music, and I have my crochet. It would make me sad if I had to hide things from him.

Try using the leftover yarn for a mulitcolored throw...I wouldn't get rid of it, unless maybe to give it to a charity or senior's group who would use it. I just finished crocheting gifts for Christmas...TG I'm done...I'll be having wrist surgery on Thursday, the 16th (tendons on my left wrist), so I'm going to be going through crochet withdrawal for about 2 weeks! UGH:(

I can't wait to get healthy again, pick up my leftover yarn and play!!

they had about a dozen or so colors of DMC pearl cotton hanks for $.25 each -- how can you pass that up?!!!!! I got 4 each of about eight colors...the second time back i just about cleaned out what was left. what in the world am i going to do with a couple hundred yards of pearl cotton in different colors? i better go head to the "need patterns" thread. ;-)

..What about using the thread to put details on stuffed animals? There are so many wonderful, easy patterns. You can even make mini animals from the pearl cotton. There's a site for that...

Happy "hooking"!:hook

Well I must confess that I do not hide my yarn. It is neatly tucked in an extra closet - in 2 bins and 2 bags. It's fairly neat and unobtrusive.

Now, just because my hubby and I both know where my yarn is, doesn't mean he comprehends the extent of my collection. :blush

He also thinks - it's a ball of yarn how expensive could it be? :devil

What can I say - ignorance is bliss.

Ditto, ditto, and ditto....:yes:D:hook:yarn:wink

I'm spoiled. My husband bought me a truck full of yarn and loves my habit....He loves making me happy. :cheer

check out my stash......if you haven't seen it before

Linda Ü

http://photos.yahoo.com/yetieddy

Where did you get the pattern for the Baby Bear Afghan? They're beautiful! They look like they were made with thread - or sport weight yarn.

And my DH also loves to make me happy...after 39 years (next month)!

You and I are blessed.:manyheart

I would feel so guilty about trying to hide things from my husband because I wouldn't expect him to hide things from me. My big addiction now is participating in swaps--and of course, I never have the yarn I want for whatever project I am going to make! I know he's as interested in swaps as I am about the newest beat he's working on for his music, but we still tell each other about it!

Crochetingfool---Your stash is beautiful! I thought I had a lot, but you take the cake!

haha! i have a closet full of mixed and matched yarn, and lord knows theres never enough of the "right kind" for most of my projects :no

so i must always buy more! :yay but im not supposed to "waste" too much money :goodorbad

so i sneak mine in or order it online! problem solved lol

Of course! Every good crochet addict hides 'yawn' (as my husband calls it). He doesn't get upset when I buy more yarn, I just have to be understanding when he buys yet another tool or hunting gadget! :eek I have many tubs in the basement labeled Christmas or Summer but they really have yarn in them. If my family knew how much yarn I've acquired they might send for the men in white coats. With so many new and exciting yarns it's hard not to stash...............

I thought this was quite funny because i just got home with 4 balls of R2 paper, and ive not particularly hidden them, but i have put them into a stash box before my bf gets home. He wont know that i only bought it today since he doesnt pay attention to the quality of my yarn, just the (vast) quantity

but at 99p a ball ($ 1.88) and a sweater in mind for the future, i wasnt going to pass it up.

AND i will definitly tell him about the red cotton i bought because i bought it for him! So im not lying :) yay

I decided it was time to use up some stash, after being motived by reading so many blogs and people actively trying to use up their stash. I have a large stash - about ten large boxes (okay, that's probably conservative). Hubby knows all about it because he balls yarn for me. So yesterday I told hubby my goal was to use up my stash and not buy anymore yarn for a long time. What does he say? At a dollar a skein, that's not going to save much money! I'm glad he's not checking yarn prices lately!

He's very supportive of my hobbies. I don't hide purchases from him, but he obviously doesn't know how much I spend!

I figure that no matter how much yarn I buy it's still not equal to the cost of insurance and the new battery that my hubby must buy every year for a 20 year-old sportscar that he almost never drives.

I do not hide yarn,, thread,, or fabric,, crochet hooks, and hundred of patterns and books from my husband. :U He knows----- I told him about it before we got married 7 1/2 years ago...I told him I crochet and love to crochet. :hook He would have to marry that too because I am not quitting,,,I have a big baggage he is also gonna have to marry with it. 2 kids too and a dog...Kids are married now and off on their own...I have been crocheting since I was 8 years old and now crocheting 38 years now and counting...My husband loves to buy me crochet hooks...:hook I have been good this year maybe I will get a new wood hook:hook :gift..

He don't complain about it. :woo I have 40 + tubs and boxes of yarn,, thread,, fabric, crochet books and hooks, and he rather me buy it on clearance or sales, :jumpyay He loves to go yarn shopping :lurk with me he says it is interesting how some yarn cost $1.00 up to $79.00 a skein. Some of the yarn and cost of ti blows his mind. He had no idea :eek anything about yarn till we got back together... He has been to a fancy yarn store with me in Texas and was shocked. Have tons of cross stitch and other craft books that I don't use any more and they are going on the big E--bay....:ebay cleaning it out as I unpack it. Need to get more clear plastic containers to put more yarn in.

When new colors of yarn :yarn comes out he wants to buy the new colors for me ,,,I like to just put them on layaway but now that wal-mart has quit layaways that won't be happening at wal-mart. I will just have to get it when I get it,, and not wait around like I did a few years back. Big mistake. I still look for the color on E-bay and have gotten a few here and there. Still need about 10 or so more. I don't want to reveal--say the color.

Now if I could just get my husband to crochet...it would do him good. :yes

• 3 weeks later...

DH does not tell me not to buy yarn. DH tells me not to bring anymore home. I have 4 containers 3 large plastic totes and a cardboard box. If I can keep it all somehow contained within the boxes he does not notice the new stuff.

ummm...........hide yarn? me?? never??!! I mean ofcourse not!

OK, Joking aside. He actually thinks it's "cool" that I crochet. He says he doesn't mind me buying yarn. He just doesn't understand having so many wips!

In actuality, he doesn't understand what he unearthed! lol!!

I guess I don't have enough :yarn to consider hiding it. I have two 18gal tubs of mostly acrylic yarn (and most of it inherited from grandmas) that are taking over my desk space in the living room (they are living here until Christmas projects are done and then I will be making a stash-ghan with scraps). There is also a small box of baby yarn and sport weight that I have raided occasionally, but it's off in the "back room" that I can't ever seem to get cleaned out.

Instead, I have a tendency to hide chocolate. :blush But I'm always running out of that. :D

I don't hide my yarn purchases from him, but he didn't really know how much I had either until we had to pack it all up and move it to the new house. Come to think of it, neither did I. Oops.

I am however currently on a yarn diet until I use some up (and we get the feel of when things are being paid in our new place.) Besides, I have storage plans that will be taking up my yarn money for the next couple of months, but will be well worth it when I'm done.

Sometimes, I go shopping on Saturdays or Sundays when he is home. He doesn't want me to go buy more yarn, so I just usually leave it in the car until Monday when he goes to work, or if he goes out somewhere, I bring it in the house and stash it.

Does anyone else do this? Is it wrong? I know I have a lot of yarn already, but not the correct colors always.

Besides, it's fun to have a stash!!

:manyheart

This is why we have "his money" and "my money" and "our money" all seperate, so we cant feel the other is spending money on something wasteful. My hubby buys books and I buy yarn. I don't think your husband should make you feel bad for something that makes you happy. Its not like you are addicted to buying diamond jewelry for pete's sake!

BTW, I have a yarn stash of a dozen 60 quart crates!

BTW, I have a yarn stash of a dozen 60 quart crates!

Wow, nice stash ...

Too bad my addictions are yarn AND books. We're in the middle of moving and I swear 25 - 30 of the boxes we've moved have been my books alone. Boy do I need to weed my collection soon.

That's what I get for working at a library. Can't resist the library booksales. :lol

Archived