Does anyone else hide yarn from their spouse?

CLLinda

:lolIsn't it sad when you have to start "hiding" the yarn? lol. But a crocheters gotta do what a crocheters gotta do, lol. Right?! You with me on this?! lol,:lol I've had my secret stashes hidden so well that I would end up forgetting about them, lol. Anytime when me or my husband buy alittle something when we really shouldn't, we end up saying to each other "I have a confession..." then we say "oh god what did you get now?" And we would let each other know what we got. It would become really funny at times when it comes to the excuse for getting what we got. For example buying another hook that you don't really need but it's good to have a back up for the back up you already have, lol.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I hide yarn. The funny thing is I don't need to! I think I just do it out of some weird low self esteem thing... :blush like I don't deserve to have stuff for me. I know, that's stupid right? My dh really doesn't care what I do with my $$ as long as I don't ask him for any more!! He has thousands and I mean THOUSANDS of cd's! If I shut up about those over-taking our bedroom and house and...and...and... he shuts up about everything else...lol. So I don't know why I hide it... I just do!! LOL

My husband's geeky gaming hobbies cost far more than any of mine right now... so he can't say a thing. And he doesn't. He knows I am more frugal with money than he is... ;)

Truth be told, I don't buy a lot of yarn, unless I have a specific project in mind... and the bulk of my current stash was donated to me by two friends who were cleaning out THEIR attics. LOL! Most of it is destined for charity projects, some is going on eBay, and some has already become gifts for people.

He's actually selling off a bunch of his older games he doesn't play anymore on eBay(mostly Games Workshop stuff), and he already told me I can have the empty shelves for my yarn! WOOT! :yay

I don't hide yarn but I don't brag much after coming home either lol! Well, maybe if it was a thrift shop deal. :lol

He has his hobbies & I have mine. He is very supportive though. Sometimes he even WANTS me to go buy yarn...even tells me to...I know why though...he has a thought in his mind that he wants to go get a new golf club or something. :lol

Ok, I would Never, Never hide yarn. ;) ;) However if I was Ever to hide yarn. I would purchase it when he was not around and bring it in with a ton of other bags and then slip it into the kitchen under the sink. When he wasn't looking I would then take it and hide I mean place it under some other yarn in one of my many I mean few yarn tubs and he would Never know about it. Of course that would be IF I ever hid yarn from my hubby. ;)

I won't tell him, if you don't --- SHHH!!

:rofl LOL!!! It sounds like you have this all planned out IF you ever were going to "hide" yarn!!

Well, My DH knows I buy yarn, but when I go on a three day yarn buying binge I do tend to leave it in the Jeep on day two and three, just so he doesn't feel "forced" to make a comment that may upset me. I just act like I didn't buy any more yarn and he just acts like he doesn't know that I bought more yarn. However, a few months ago I started a thread on How Much Yarn Stash Do You Really Have. It was great fun and I discovered I am not alone as far as being a stashaholic, and my DH and I made a bet on how many people have a large yarn stash. What did we bet you ask? Well yarn of course!!! Yes, and I did win!! My DH was on a business trip in Chicago and had to buy me yarn there and bring it home. It did a great job on the selection and he said it was actually fun!!

I love the kitchen sink idea. That is a classic. Besides why would they look under there? Isn't that where the CLEANING supplies are kept.

I can't hide my yarn so he deals with it. However He was with me shopping in craft stores and started throwing yarn at me so I would hurry up. Can you guess the looks I got:blush

oh my gosh! it's an obsession, a sickness really. i bought a huge coffin-type tub at dollar general to add to the huge "put ice and drinks for the out-door party" type one. it was all neat and tidy....and then he decided to clean out the garage!!! when i came home from work and saw the clean garage i was almost afraid to go in because of what he found out there (yikes!) to my surprise all i got was "you sure do have a lot of yarn". whew! i just can't help cruising the clearance aisles. i went thru michael's twice in the last week with their 50% and 40% off coupons and couldn't find anything new that interested me - sure sign you have too much already. so what did i end up with? they had about a dozen or so colors of DMC pearl cotton hanks for $.25 each -- how can you pass that up?!!!!! I got 4 each of about eight colors...the second time back i just about cleaned out what was left. what in the world am i going to do with a couple hundred yards of pearl cotton in different colors? i better go head to the "need patterns" thread. ;-)

When I do things I do them to the nth degree. When I took up knitting :knit again several years ago I got every size needle (straights to size 19, circular to 15, and double point to 9) and every knitting accessory known to man; plus printed off every free pattern I could find and bought a bunch of books, then bought all the yarn it would take to knit all those patterns. :yarn I currently have a stash of six, 35 gallon bins of yarn, and just bought more a few days ago as I needed a color I did not actually have (go figure). I am a SAHM in a very small southern town. I do not have occassion to go out much (church, school, and Wal Mart-in that order), and really am just a homebody anyway, so I keep myself busy (like I need anything else with a husband, two boys and, two dogs :dog) knitting and crocheting. I am very low maintenance and not a girlie girl-I do not have or buy lots of makeup, jewlery, clothes, shoes, knick-knacks, etc., and most of what I have comes from Wal-Mart, cus it's close and cheap. I am not very materialistic at all, but I spend money on me to buy yarn and knitting/crocheting supplies :hook . I am blessed :angel that my DH :heart is such a hard worker and a wonderful provider and though we have gone without over the years (so I can be at home with our boys), we have never been in want for anything we need (Thanks be to God!), and I have always been allowed to have what I like for my crafts. My husband and I agreed upon the, "what's mine is your's and what's yours is mine", rule many years ago when we were first married, and that holds true today. I do not have to ask permission to buy my supplies. He has never questioned my purchases or been angry with me about them. He does crack wise sometime, but it is all in fun. One day I had to go to Michael's to get some supplies for the Sunday School lesson I was teaching. So we all jumped in the truck and drove :drive "uptown" (cus there were other things we needed). I told DH I would run in and be right back out, but I could not find one of the items I needed. I looked everywhere. I knew my guys would send in a search party for me and sure enough... They were all three astonished :eek that they did not find me in the yarn section. They were even more shocked :eek when I told them that I had not even been tempted to go over there. My youngests (he is 5 y/o) looked at my husband and said, "Dad, I thought for sure she would be buying some yarn." We all had a good laugh. :laughroll So, in answer to the question, no I have never had to hide yarn from my Hubby. I think it helps that most all of what I make is gifted (I have one crochet and one knit item that I have kept for myself (EVER), that way we are killing two birds with one stone :slingshot

I don't exactly hide it, but I don't think he realizes how much yarn I have either. Sometimes he is with me when I stop in the craft section of walmart to pick up more. There is only one quilt/hobby store here and the yarn supply is limited. So I shop in walmart (supercenter) unless we go to the next town (about 30 minutes away), where there is a jo-ann's, michael's, and garden ridge. Most of the time I go there we are together so he is with me. He doesn't mind the purchases, his only issue is that I have too much already...too much yarn...too many pattern books and magazines...too much plastic canvas....etc. I think it's not possible to have too much yarn, because there is always another pattern or some other color that just speaks to me in the craft section LOL! He also realizes that my crafting (whichever form it takes) is one of my ways of coping with the everyday stress. So, even though he doesn't understand my hobby he is supportive of it....as long as he doesn't have to dig crochet hooks out from under the bed pillows, couch cushions, and maybe he gets a little tired of seeing yarn balls and pattern books on his side of the bed...but only a little

Hmmmm.... all these stories of yarn-hiding wives. I'm starting to think....if getting a hubby means I have to start sneaking in and hiding my yarn, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. ;)

Thanks for opening my eyes ladies! My future as a yarn-stashing, crocheting, spinster cat-lady is looking quite bright!

:hook

My husband owns 6 tractors (or maybe it is 7:eek ) so my yarn stash isn't usually an issue. Well ok, when he went to move the couch in the family room and some yarn attacked him:laughroll , he did mutter something about cleaning that space out, but he's generally pretty good about it. I do NOT, however, come home bragging about how much yarn or patterns I found because I know I'll hear the "you've already got too many" comment (like it's possible to have too much yarn :D

Well I must confess that I do not hide my yarn. It is neatly tucked in an extra closet - in 2 bins and 2 bags. It's fairly neat and unobtrusive.

Now, just because my hubby and I both know where my yarn is, doesn't mean he comprehends the extent of my collection. :blush

He also thinks - it's a ball of yarn how expensive could it be? :devil

What can I say - ignorance is bliss.

Well, I don't hide the yarn, really.

I usually buy my yarn online so it comes in the mail. He's at work when the mail comes and I have it put away before he gets home. Now, my storage bins are clear so you can see through them and he does notice different colors that weren't there before and will comment....'hmm, new colors huh?' but always with a smirk on his face.

And when we go to WalMart he'll always go in the yarn section and check it out to see if there is any on 'good sale' for me.

He just commented the other day by saying I need another storage container cause the ones I have (Sterilite 3 drawers each...2 big, 1 small) are so full I can't fit anymore in them. Ain't that the truth!! I'm squooshing them in as it is right now and I have some in a box, some in my crochet bag and some on the way in the mail.......yikes!! :eek

He doesn't usually 'chew' at me about buying yarn because I always 'let' him get what he wants. He'll comment about it and maybe tease me a bit but what said the other day was........'I just want you to be happy sweetie, and if yarn makes you happy, then I'm happy'........ go ahead, either say 'awwwwwwwwww' or 'gag me'.......lol

Okay, I've got a tip for you yarn stashers out there. (Perhaps many of you already do this.) Those vacuum-sealed big ziploc bags are great for yarn-stashing. You can still see everything in the bag and it gets nice and flat....perfect for stashing in those tiny, out of the way places, away from peering eyes. ;) And everything fluffs up nice when you open the bag. :D

Hide yarn from the hubby? You bet! Actually, I hide everything! You have to when you're married to a guy like mine. What's sad is when you run out of places to hide things, or worse yet, the kid gets big enough to tell daddy everything that you did that day, including what we bought where! thank goodness that was a short phase. Is it wrong...on some level, I feel bad about this. I've always envied couples who could be open with each other about this sort of thing. :yarn

I usually wind up hiding yarn after I've gone and told my husband that "I've got more yarn than I can ever use up in my lifetime, and I'm NOT buying anymore".......WRONG! :D Naturally, I see something that I just have to try and there goes my resolve so I try to have it delivered (online purchases) when he's working. Ahhh, the lengths we must go to in order to enhance our yarn stash! :devil :devil

YES! He supports my habit but we just don't have room for anymore in the house. The coat closet in filled to the ceiling...but you'd never know because there are bags piled up in front of it so you can't open the door. I need a yarn room! The last time I bought yarn I got enough for 2 afghans. I brought the second one in after the first one was done.

Okay, I've got a tip for you yarn stashers out there. (Perhaps many of you already do this.) Those vacuum-sealed big ziploc bags are great for yarn-stashing. You can still see everything in the bag and it gets nice and flat....perfect for stashing in those tiny, out of the way places, away from peering eyes. ;) And everything fluffs up nice when you open the bag. :D

Hehehehehe, you must live in an apartment! I actually rented my apartment mostly because i have my own attic...for my stash of course! I dont usually have to hide my yarn these days, as my fiance doesnt have a job at this point and i am a full time grad student supporting both of us and the dog...just doesnt give him a leg to stand on, does it??:devil

He does hate the words (in english or spanish:)) But honey, it was on sale! Then he picks up my yarn, pets it, says "Oh, fuzzy", throws it at me or juggles it...predictable guy!!

My shoe collection, however...thats a different story :blush

Hehehehehe, you must live in an apartment! I actually rented my apartment mostly because i have my own attic...for my stash of course! I dont usually have to hide my yarn these days, as my fiance doesnt have a job at this point and i am a full time grad student supporting both of us and the dog...just doesnt give him a leg to stand on, does it??:devil

He does hate the words (in english or spanish:)) But honey, it was on sale! Then he picks up my yarn, pets it, says "Oh, fuzzy", throws it at me or juggles it...predictable guy!!

My shoe collection, however...thats a different story :blush

Well, as long as you are the princess sugar mama to him and the pup, then I think he'll have to be okay with your collection.....whether that be yarn or shoes. I say stash away!!! :devil

• 1 month later...

I was at Hobby Lobby today and found they had some TLC Heathers in Denim for $1.45 a skein. I bought five, plus a white one that TLC Essentials, and then a Yarn bee in Torqouse and white mixture. They are all sitting in the trunk of my car, waiting to be put in the house when DH isn't at home.

All that yarn for less than $14. I just had to get it all. So it will be a little cold, sitting in the trunk, but It will eventually warm up when I get to bring it in the nice, warm house.

The things we do to keep our DH happy (and not aware of) and keep our crochet habit going.

I feel like whispering to the yarn, "You can come out now, he's gone!"

:manyheart

This thread surprised me a little bit. I don't hide things from my husband. In fact, he is the one who encourages me to get what I want. At this time of year, most of the yarn is for gifts--or swaps--but if I see something I like, he tells me to get it. Of course, I'm not spending more than $3 a skein (as a general rule). He does think I have too much yarn, and I do need to go through it as soon as the holidays are over and get rid of some of it, but he has his video games, movies, and music, and I have my crochet. It would make me sad if I had to hide things from him.

DH and I both work and after the bills are paid and we stash something into savings, we do what we want with what's leftover. However....He recently experienced his first trip to a LYS with me. I bought some expensive-to-me yarn for a sweater and before knowing the final bill, he insisted on paying. I tried to tell him that no, you REALLY do not want to pay for this. Well, at $140 (the most I've ever spent for one sweater) I thought he'd have to make SOME kind of comment. He didn't. He blinked twice before signing the receipt. Never said a word though.

Archived