Annoying Radio Shack Commercial

sakurasaku

I heard this commercial on the radio. A young woman (a teenager?) is telling her friend what she wants for her birthday. Apparently, she wants a cell phone with Bluetooth and all that. And she says "If you have any questions, you can go to Radio Shack. They are number one in cell phone service. And you'd be number one in my book, if you get me [the product name]...and stop crocheting me shawls."

Has anyone else heard this radio commercial? Did I hear that right? :angry

Yes, I did hear it also. And since shawls, bolero's and shrugs are so popular with the younger generation, I think this commercial is off base.

But then again, not everyone is knowledgable of fashion!

:manyheart

• 2 weeks later...
I suppose if it's a TV commercial (not radio) and it shows the girl drowning in crocheted items it could be funny... but they'd better watch out! A crochet hook can be a lethal weapon!:hook

See, I think this type of ad would really have to be a visual and even then, those who crochet might get offended...I laughed hard when I saw the air freshner ad with the Crochet Lady...the visual was funny (okay, so sue me...) Based on some of the things I've seen for patterns with the cosy this and that...why not a cosy for the air freshner you know...not that I would make one.

If it's so offensive (that particular ad) then why is it okay to laugh at What not to crochet, which I just think is so meanspirited...

The first picture in my head with the Radio Shack ad was that the girl is drowning in crocheted shawls and none of them are in colors or styles to suit her...none of them look like anything that Claire's accessories would sell...that would make it funny and a bit real...

But I was offended just hearing about this ad not because crochet was mentioned but because of the "Gimme" attitude of the girl...and it sounds antihandmade...that's the real problem...substitute the word "knit" or "tat" or "handmade" or whatever for "crochet" and this has less to do with crochet than about the fact that the kid in question wants something store bought that she can wasted hours of time talking into with her friends...that's the problem I have with the commerical.

Shell, I saw that other thread too... but thanks for posting it here (doing that never crossed my mind :blush )

I think the Crochet Lady adswere a hoot (so, ya'll can sue me too :wink ) I agree with Eurolyons that the disturbing part of the Radio Shack ad is the young lady's greedy attitude. And the thread Shell posted goes into what can be seen as an over-all negitive attitude against gifts that are hand-made as opposed to purchased... and that observation really hits the nail on the head.

It's sad to think about how hand-made gifts can be so undervalued by those lucky enough to receive one; adults and children alike. It kind of goes hand-in-hand with that attitude of the more a gift costs, the better it is; and the underlying assumption that if something is hand-made, it must not have cost much money (although those of us here in Crochetville know that sometimes buying yarn for a project gets pretty expensive!)

I suppose when you get down to it, advertisements of any kind will offend or upset somebody, somewhere. My personal pet-peeve (being someone with a mental illness) are the ads for anti-depressants which imply that by just taking one pill, a mental illness can be "cured." But at the same time, I think the ads also help educate people & maybe even remove some of the stigma of having depression... Sigh. Okay, enough of that soapbox! Thanks for bearing with me on that one :soap

I have not seen or heard this commercial. Though, as a business owner myself, SPEAKING FROM THAT ASPECT AND NOT THE CRAFTER SIDE OF ME, that in a way I have to give them credit for it. THIS IS WHY,lol, the purpose of advertising is to get "people talking about your service or product". This ad seems to have definitely done that for Radio Shack. Both in a positive and negative way.

It has the crafter side of folks talking, in a sense, negative saying they shouldnt have done that. The positive side of the chat is, it has those same people pointing out that they are an electronics store and not a craft store.

So, there is now a better chance that those crafters that are mad about the comment about the crafts will still come to the store to buy their electronics. Any publicity is good publicity. (or, don't worry as long as folks are talking about you, worry when they STOP talking about you).

just a different view of the situation, :)

Sandy (hoping I'm not wailed on for that....lol)

The bothersome thing, to me, is the negative connotation it gives the public of crochet. :blush You know people are sheep. When they see/hear something that indicates an opinion....

I can just see it. "Yeah... man... crochet, how outdated. Get with the times, get a bluetooth device, already." Good for them, but bad for us. ;)

Oh, I dont agree w/ that type of business promotions at all, just saying that they DO tend to work, unfortunately. And, if you look at this thread and the other 1 that was also started, they have succeeded at their goal.... to get folks talking about them, even talking about them being an electronic store and not a craft oriented one. Then think in the future, if you need to get an electronic device, who will you think of being a seller of electronics?

But, I'm just a modern day hippy who tries to be positive and nice about most things. :D

Sandy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived