Who's a Jersey Girl or Guy?

lauravee

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a Jersey girl in Mahwah. Anyone know of any crichet groups up here?:think

Andrea

Hey! I am in Upper Saddle River! I spent every summer in high school and college working at Darlington Park. The only local group I know about is at the Borders in Ramsey, I think they meet on Tuesday nights. I never went though. If you want to chat, send me a PM.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was raised in the Bronx, have been living in Paramus about 25 years. My children were raised here and I have 1 grand daughter born here. I spend too much time at AC Moore! Love that place, but I am running out of storage space for yarn. I would love to find a crochet group in this area, not a class, more of a stitch and bitch thing. Anyone interested in starting one?

where in the Bronx were you raised?

I went to PS88,PS90,JHS 22, Taft High School and Hunter College in the Bronx(now known as Lehman College CUNY)

I lived in Oakland NJ for 30 years, then Teaneck, and for the past 2 weeks North Arlington.

I enjoy going to the Paramus AC Moore- crochet teacher Remi is extremely helpful and knitting instructor Sandi is also a great help.

Joanne

I was born in the South Bronx and went to St. Johns. Then my dad bought a house in the Castle Hill section and I went to JHS 101 in the Throggs Neck area. I went to Central Commercial HS in Manhattan. After college, I lived on Bronx Park East in the Pelham Parkway area.

I moved to Paramus, NJ after my children were born and have been here ever since (about 25 yrs) and I love it. So I am sort of Jersey girl, but not quite into the pork roll thing. In fact, this is the first time I hear it's a Jersey thing. I will have to try it!

• 4 weeks later...

Boy, reading this thread has really made me wax nostalgic!!

Another ex-pat JerseyGirl, now living in MA. Grew up in Linden and lived a few years in Edison (on the Edison/Colonia/Iselin border), then got married and moved to MA, where I've been ever since. Still have relatives and good friends in Jersey, (mostly Williamstown, Brick and Bridgewater, so all over the state) so we make a pilgrimage a few times a year and always manage to stop at the Millburn Mall on the way back. In the mall is a Tabatchnik's (but no Taylor ham there :P ) for some good NJ deli, next door is Sonny Amster's Bakery where we REALLY go wild (just can't get 7 layer cake, black-and-white cookies and *REAL* apple strudel, just to name a few things -- a VERY few things:eek anywhere around by me) and then a quick trip next door to them to the liquor store to get a bottle or two of Mohawk Blackberry Brandy, which only seems to be sold in NJ :think .

Thanks for some of those foody links -- I think some care packages are about to be ordered (LOL!) :lol

Catch you guys on the boards...

PS Something to share:

Ode to New Jersey:

New Jersey is a peninsula.

Highlands, New Jersey has the highest elevation along the entire eastern seaboard, from Maine to Florida.

New Jersey is the only state where all of its counties are classified as metropolitan areas.

New Jersey has more race horses than Kentucky.

New Jersey has more Cubans in Union City (1 sq. mi.) than Havana, Cuba.

New Jersey has the most dense system of highways and railroads in the US.

New Jersey has the most diners in the world and is sometimes referred to as the Diner Capital of the World

New Jersey is home to the original mystery pork parts chub (no, not Spam) Taylor Ham or Pork Roll.

New Jersey is home to the less mysterious but best Italian hot dogs and Italian sausage w/peppers and onions.

North Jersey has the most shopping malls in one area in the world, with seven major shopping malls in a 25 square mile radius.

New Jersey is home to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

The Passaic River was the site of the first submarine ride by inventor John P. Holland.

New Jersey has 50+ resort cities & towns, some of the nations' most famous: Asbury Park, Wildwood, Atlantic City, Seaside Heights, Long Branch & Cape May.

New Jersey has the most stringent testing along its coastline for Water Quality Control than any other seaboard state in the entire country.

New Jersey is a leading technology & industrial state and is the largest chemical producing state in the nation when you include pharmaceuticals.

Jersey tomatoes are known the world over as being the best you can buy.

New Jersey is the world leader in blueberry and cranberry production (and here you thought Maine and Massachusetts?)

Here's to New Jersey - the toast of the country! In 1642, the first brewery in America opened in Hoboken.

New Jersey rocks! The famous Les Paul invented the first solid body electric guitar in Mahwah in 1940.

New Jersey is a major seaport state with the largest seaport in the US, located in Elizabeth. Nearly 80% of what our nation imports comes through Elizabeth Seaport first.

New Jersey is home to one of the nation's busiest airports at Newark Liberty International.

George Washington slept here. Several important Revolutionary War battles were fought on New Jersey soil, led by General George Washington.

The light bulb, phonograph (record player) and motion picture projector, were invented by Thomas Edison in his Menlo Park, NJ laboratory.

We also boast the first town ever lit by incandescent bulbs.

The first seaplane was built in Keyport, NJ.

The first airmail (to Chicago) was started from Keyport, NJ.

The first phonograph records were made in Camden, NJ.

New Jersey is home to the Miss America pageant held in Atlantic City.

The game Monopoly, played all over the world, named the streets on their playing board after the actual streets in Atlantic City.

And Atlantic City has the longest boardwalk in the world.

New Jersey has the largest petroleum containment area outside of the Middle East countries.

The first Indian reservation was in New Jersey, in the Watchung Mountains.

New Jersey has the tallest water tower in the world. (Union, NJ)

New Jersey had the first Medical Center, in Jersey City.

The Pulaski SkyWay, from Jersey City to Newark, was the first skyway highway.

NJ built the first tunnel under a river, the Hudson. (Holland Tunnel).

The first baseball game was played in Hoboken, NJ, which is also the birthplace of Frank Sinatra.

The first intercollegiate football game was played in New Brunswick in 1889. (Rutgers College played Princeton.)

The first Drive-in Movie theater was opened in Camden, NJ.

New Jersey is home to both of "NEW YORK'S " Pro Football Teams!

The first radio station and broadcast was in Paterson, NJ.

All New Jersey natives: Sal Martorano, Jack Nicholson, Pat & Ben Balch, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Jason Alexander, Queen Latifa, Susan Sarandon, Connie Francis, Shaq, Judy Blume, Aaron Burr, Joan Robertson, Ken Kross, Dionne Warwick, Sarah Vaughn, Budd Abbott, Lou Costello, Alan Ginsberg, Norman Mailer, Marilynn McCoo, Flip Wilson, Alexander Hamilton, Whitney Houston, Eddie Money, Linda McElroy, Eileen Donnely, Grover Cleveland, Woodrow Wilson, Walt Whitman, Jerry Lewis, Tom Cruise, Richard Wojewodzki, Joyce Kilmer, Bruce Willis, Caesar Romero, Lauryn Hill, Ice-T, Nick Adams, Nathan Lane, Sandra Dee, Danny DeVito, Richard Conti, Joe Pesci, Joe Piscopo, Robert Blake, Bill Berth, John Forsyth, Meryl Streep, Loretta Swit, Norman Lloyd, Paul Simon, Jerry Herman, Gordon McCray, Kevin Spacey, John Travolta, Phyllis Newman, Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Eva Marie Saint, Elisabeth Shue, Zebulon Pike, James Fennimore Cooper, Admiral Wm.Halsey,Jr., Dave Thomas(Wendy's), William Carlos Williams, Ray Liotta, Robert Wuhl, Paul Robeson, Ernie Kovacs, Joseph Macchia and of course.........Frank Albert Sinatra and "Uncle Floyd" Vivino.

You know you're from Jersey if:

You don't think of citrus when people mention "The Oranges".

You know that it's called Great Adventure, not Six Flags.

A good, quick breakfast is a hard roll with butter.

You've known the way to Seaside Heights since you were seven.

You've eaten at a Diner, when you were stoned or drunk, at 3 a.m.

You remember that the "Two Guys" were from Harrison.

You know that the state isn't one big oil refinery.

At last three people in your family still love Bruce Springsteen and you know the town Jon Bon Jovi is from.

You know what a "jug handle" is.

You know that WaWa is a convenience store.

You know that the state isn't all farmland.

You know that there are no "beaches" in New Jersey - there's The Shore". And you don't go "to the shore" - you go "down the Shore". And when you are there, you're not "at the shore" - you are "down the Shore".

You know that "Piney" isn't referring to a tree.

Even your school cafeteria made good Italian subs. And it's a sub, not a submarine sandwich or worse yet, a hoagy, a hero, or a grinder.

You remember the song from the Palisades Park commercials.

You know how to properly negotiate a Circle.

You knew that the last sentence had to do with driving.

You know that this is the only "New..." state that doesn't require "New" to identify it (like, try...Mexico, ...York, ...Hampshire - doesn't work, does it?)

You only go to New York City for day trips, and you call it "The City".

You know that a "White Castle" is the name of BOTH a fast food chain AND a fast food sandwich.

You consider putting mayo on a corned beef sandwich a sacrilege.

You don't think "What exit" is very funny.

You know that the first "strip shopping center" in the country was on Route 22.

You know that people from 609 area code are "a little different".

You know that no respectable New Jerseyan goes to Princeton - that's for out-of-staters.

The Jets - Giants game has started fights at your school or local bar.

You live within 20 minutes of at least three different malls.

You refer to all highways and interstates by their numbers.

Every year, you had a least one kid in your class named Tony.

You know the location of every clip shown in the Sopranos opening credits.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I was born and raised in Jersey, Bloomfield to be exact. Moved to Massachusetts when I was 14 cause my Dad was transferred, however we still spent a lot of time visiting my grandparents and other family down there. Don't get down to often now, but still love it. I have family in Toms River also, and have spent a lot of time there and at Seaside Heights- love that boardwalk!

• 2 months later...

I had to bump this one :D Jersey girl here too. I was born and raised in Essex county, went to school aaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllll the way down at Rutgers (oh so far, I had to drive a good 45 minutes to go home on the weekends :lol ) and now live in Union county about 5 miles from where I grew up. What can I say, I like it here :P

I'm also a Jersey Girl. Although I was born in The City, we moved to jersey and have been here since 1983. I went to high school in North Edison, Middlesex Cty College and Douglass College aka Rutgers. I now live in South Edison, right at the Highland Park border, where we have gotten NO SNOW since December :grumpy. Gosh darn it, I want snow.

• 5 months later...

Haven't heard from the Jersey folks in awhile !

I'm still hanging out here in Hunterdon County with my hooks!

Grew up in Kearny and then lived in Edison before settling out here in Hunterdon.

How are the other Jersey crocheters spending their summer?

Haven't heard from the Jersey folks in awhile !

I'm still hanging out here in Hunterdon County with my hooks!

Grew up in Kearny and then lived in Edison before settling out here in Hunterdon.

How are the other Jersey crocheters spending their summer?

I grew up in Kearny too :) I am now in FL, but lived in Kearny for 14 years, all those foods you have all been mentioning, taylor ham, tasty cakes, pizza (OH THAT PIZZA) pretzels, OOHHH I am getting REALLY hungry :)

Sweatin at the shore, that's what I'm doing. Actually trying to stay in the house as much as possible, not using my van cause the air conditioning died, and doing some sun dyeing. I moved up to Matawan in April after my son's accident, and I visit him in rehab in Edison daily, so if Mom's driving I try to crochet and keep my mind off the traffic on the Parkway.

Archived