Organize? What's that??

My hubby's aunt asked me to make some doilies for her. Instead of searching online for patterns I decided to look thru the magazines I've bought over the last 2 years(I can't believe it's only been 2 years since I first learned):think. I didn't find too many doilies but tons of other patterns I wanted to make...hence the reason why I bought the mags to begin with.

I want to somehow organize all these patterns so they don't get buried and forgotten again but I'm not sure how. How do you all keep track of your magazine patterns? Is it even possible?!? :blush Or am I just talking crazy talk? I've only just begun, please tell me there's hope!

I had them in an accordian file, but just the other week I put them in page protectors in 3-ring binders and organized them by category (baby, animals, hats, afghans, kitchen, etc).

And I have tons saved on line by category as well.

Good luck!

I have a book case full of books and magazines. I put sticky notes on the pages that I want to try the patterns. I have a two drawer filing cabinet where the bottom drawer is packed full of loose patterns from mags and the internet.

and yet....I found alot of "new" patterns that I had forgotton about and now want to do for xmas.

GOOD LUCK with your organizing :lol

When I get magazines or print off the internet, I put each pattern that I want to keep in its own plastic sleeve. Then i put them in binders by category- clothing, hats, scarves, misc, etc. Anything that is left of the magazine i recycle.

I am having this same problem. I was thinking about making a copy of the index page of each magazine and putting them in a three ring binder grouped together by magazine. Then organizing all the magazines in some sort of holder.

I use several ways to keep track of things. Like Robin, I often use sticky notes or flags to mark pages of magazines and books. I bought a buttload of magazine organizers REALLY cheap on ebay last year and all of my loose patterns and magazines go into them. And they are organized as well (afghans in however many it takes, shawls and shrugs, men, baby, etc.), then those go into the bookcase. And I scan as many as I can, starting with the ones I'm sure I want to make, then those that I'm still debating about, and if I live long enough I'll even scan those I'm not even thinking about making, but who knows - I might! I used to print off all of the free patterns, but frankly, I just don't have the room. I had an idea to just print off the pictures and names of the patterns (in categories, of course!), sort of like paper microfiche. Then, when I need a pattern I can just print one out. But realistically, I'd probably never have time to crochet if I went that far. But it's a dream....... And of course, I do monthly backups so I don't have to cry if the 'puter crashes.

I've got 3 ring binders and sheet protectors, organized by category - I like the sheet protectors because I can just rip the pattern out of the magazine and put in in my binder, or take the skein wrapper and put it right in there too (for some reason I like to save the patterns on these). I can also put my swatches (lol) and yarn scraps in the pockets too - as a reference and future inspiration.

You can start a computer database using Word or Excel in a table format. Start a numbering system that matches the actual pattern or book using sticky notes.

Sort the database by project, i.e., baby afghan, sweater, etc. (That's why Excel might be better actually.) Here's what I mean:

1. Cathedral Rose Window Afghan (filed under afghan on the database).

matching

1. sticky note on the actual pattern.

I haven't tried this yet because it'll be a major undertaking. But it'll help me from continuing to buy duplicate (or triplicate) copies of the same thing.

Most of my pattern lieflets or loose fliers are in hanging files, by category, doily, baby, afghans, house/kitchen... you get the idea. The loose fliers are in a manilla folder within the hanging file. If it's a pattern that I've used and printed off it's in a sheet protector in a binder.

Best of luck on the organization... :lol

I have thousands of patterns, and I live in controled chaos. As long as they aren't falling out of the closet onto me I figure its under control. patterns of one kind...all afghans are easy to control...3 ring binders. Its the publications that have multiply hobbies, or sweaters, afghans and toys in them that are the challenge. I get the ones I know i'll use copied. I worked out a deal with the shop to go at an odd time and to do the copying myself and to bring my own paper and they only charge me two cents a copy versus the regular five cents. I have five filing cabinets full of patterns and books and magazines everywhere. After thirty five years and many patterns from family members friends and neighbors ( I call them my inheritance and my legacy ) I have given up on trying to be organized.

I've thought about cutting out the patterns I like and then filing them, or putting them in page protectors in a 3-ring binder or something. Should I do that? Hmmm. Maybe. But I've been too slothful to even think about it so far.

Instead what I do is to take a snapshot or two of the pattern and/or the illustration. These are photos in digital format, and so they get stored on my computer. I put them into the appropriate crochet folder (hats, gloves, whatever) so that I come across them when I'm looking around on my computer for patterns. I'll see a photo of some lovely gloves, and I know right away that the pattern is from the fall issue of Splzzfff Magazine, because that info will be part of the file or folder name.

I like this approach because I have so many patterns that are only in digital format, you know? Like patterns I've made up, and then typed into the computer. Or patterns I've saved from the web. Since I look first on my computer, it makes sense to have at least a represenation all the patterns I want to try there.

Anyway, that's what works for me.

I have tons of internet patterns and with those I did the plastic sleeve in the 3 ring (or 2 ring binder for Europe) thing...They were in no particular order until recently when I finally sat down and divied them up into catagories...I need more protective sheets though...

I do have plastic accordian files that I'm starting to use for this kind of stuff, especially for the magazines...that seems to be working pretty good...

i also use plastic sheet protectors and binders for my projects.

i don't categorize them by subject ie. afghans, baby items, etc. instead i categorize the binders. i have several titled "internet" for projects i've found on the net (obviously lol), another which holds copies of magazine patterns i'm interested in trying, and another that holds my completed patterns, and so on. i especially like my completed binder, not because it shows me all that i've accomplished (although it is a nice ego booster and something to be proud of) but i tend to write notes in the margins of my photocopies letting me know who i've made the project for, what occassion, when it was made, and how easy/difficult i found it to be, pattern changes or errors, and any other little tidbits i thought were important.

however i tend to keep all my mags, for simple fear i may "throw out that one pattern i was looking for..." and enjoy going through all those mags at least twice a year to find some inspiration. it kind of feels like the prize at the bottom of a crackerjack box when i leaf through them all :)

Archived