Do you crochet at work?

artemis

Yes I take my crocheting to work. I work at Wal-mart and have a hour lunch.I take along small items like potholders, label pins. I make label pins for the gals I work with (vision center) plus others that have ask me to make them. WIPS bear hats and mittens, tissue cover (christmas) and potholer and towel set.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I crochet at work, I'm a student computer lab assistant here at the college that i attend. I only have to make sure students are behaving and refill paper and toner on the printers and generally make sure there is order in the labs. This gives me lots of time to crochet durning my 5 hour shifts, that is when I'm not doing homework or dealing with students. speaking of homework I really should get back to it, todays menu is history and math...ewww

I also am a SAHM!! My work is never done, even at night! (My dd is 11mos old and teething :D, thereby keeping dh and I awake at night!) I do crochet a lot when I get eyestrain from being on the pc, when friends are over, at the doc's office, on road trips (dh driving, of course!), stuck in traffic (very rare, anymore, now that I don't really work outside the home!), at craft shows, etc. I get the most work done when dd isn't 'helping' me, like when she's sleeping. I used to work during my lunch and at nap time when I worked in a preschool, and I also hooked in class in college during psychology. The prof looked at me strangely, but since he was OCD, I think he understood!! Since I was going through burnout at the time, a counselor I talked to suggested I find a hobby to help me slow down and stop drinking Mountain Dew (haven't had one since!), and I picked up crocheting again after a 4-year haitus!! (but boy! can you imagine how much I could get done with that much caffeine?! :coffee:drool:hyper:dog

tehehe :devil

I knit, crochet and spin yarn at work lol lol

its ok in down time...My boss brings her knitting too so she cant say much. lol so its ok as long as it does not interfer with work time.

I have brought, socks, sweaters,dresses,scarves,mittens...well almost everything...even an afghan once lol. but that was to show one of my customers

I am a self employed research/trial paralegal, so when I am in my home office and not working on a research project, I am able to crochet a bit, but most of the time I am at an attorney's office for witness prep, depositions, PI reports, evidence/discovery review or I am in court for hearings, trials, etc., I am not able to crochet, nor do I take it with me, because I don't think my attorney's would appreciate it (since they pay me a considerable sum of money to be there and focused). With my job I really have to stay focused on the task at hand, so I am not really able to crochet at work, boohoo:(. However, I do travel several times a month for my work, so I am able to crochet on the plane etc., It is really odd, some flights I feel motion sickness and cannot crochet to save my life, other flights I feel great and get a lot of crochetting done!!:D

I'm also self-employed (my husband is in the Blind Vendor program) - I work for DH in the vending business. I love to take my WIP out on the loading dock when I'm waiting on the milkman.

My job is primarily receiving orders, checking them in, assisting DH with any sight questions (when do the sandwiches expire, etc.) so the rest of time I can't crochet.

I don't mind, because if I finish MY work early I can tell him "I'm off the clock now" and go sit down with my bag. We use public transit as well so I have lots of time to work when I'm waiting outside on our ride. I have a set of hooks and the little stitch pattern books in my bag, so I always have an interesting project.

I take mine to the Group Home where I work. One of the residents is a 50ish lady with Downs Syndrome who is obsessed with knitting/crocheting, so much to the point we actually have to schedule times for her to do her work. But when I work a 36 hour shift, I always find time to crochet with her. Plus, once all 7 residents go to bed, and my charts and meds are done, I can crochet til my fingers ache ( or until someone gets up to pee or needs a drink!!!)

My other job, not really. alot of my work is done on the phone at home. But I have taken some of my work to the RCMP detachment with me a few times, especially if I have a good chunk of time between meetings.

I usually take my crochet projects with me almost everywhere. From time to time, I take small crochet projects (ones that I have memorized) to my work to work on over my lunch hour. I almost never leave home without a project especially when I'm taking my boys to their activities (which then I wait for them there instead of going back home). I am always amazed at the number of people that are just fascinated that I am crocheting. :eek

i crochet at work every day. Iam a 911 call taker and am able to crochet on down time in between calls. i love my job but there is alot of stress involved and crocheting at work really helps me get thru my night. I work 11pm to 7am.

I have worked at a care home for 3 years and I used to read during my down time now at breaks and at the end of the night usually crochet that is not a problem at the end of the night we have periods of down time. The residents enjoy it too. In fact our blanket closets have plenty of beautiful heirloom afgans that families donated over the years. But the funny thing is on the bus ride to work I get what are you knitting question about once a week.

I work as a customer Service Rep at a call center :phone and crochet at work all the time! I have made hats and scarves for several coworkers and now have 3 coworkers that are pregnant and wanting afghans! I have started several other coworkers crocheting too and am trying to get them started on baby hats for local hospitals and squares4surviors!

I'm a CSR as well and I always crochet at work. It makes the time go by quickly on the slow days when there aren't a lot of calls coming through.

I bring it to work (I work on it while I am getting to work) but I don't crochet during my working time or during the breaks. I work in a office where are mostly men and I don't want to give them a hint that I am a woman (I don't hide it but I think you know what I mean).

I wear the usual grey suits, I am as straight as any of them and I don't want to show any feminine touch. It is hard enough for a mother of three to stop the talk about babys, household and baby break (I had to stop them asking about my children during meetings - which weakens my standing) and get back to be recognized as a full member of the hard working staff who is project-orientated.

But sometimes - when there are no appointments, urgent tasks or meetings waiting - I take some time to surf the internet, visit crochetville (not logged in, of course) and dream about what to crochet next... so you might say: I crochet in mind, not in reality...

• 1 month later...

I am a Public Health and Communicable Disease Nurse at our local health department. I see patients and give shots all day long. But I do take my crochet and I try to take a fifteen minute break. I also get to crochet at lunch.

Sometimes, if I have a small project or squares I can take in a tote...I work at a preschool, and if the kiddos all sleep at nap time then I have 30 min. to an hour to crochet! It is very relaxing, but I find that the time goes by all too quickly with hook in hand!

I am a Certified Medical Assistant and I work for a rural health district, I work in 3 outlying clinics and you can never tell how many patients are going to come in, in a given day. So I take my crochet with me and work on my projects if I have no patients, or labs or stocking to do. I do not like to be idle.

I work in a lab, but have office work to do sometimes, as well. I bring my work in sometimes, if it's not too big a project, hoping I can get my work done and can crochet for a bit. Sometimes it happens, often it doesn't!

I am right now, but I work at a university and the students are still on Christmas break! Once they come back I don't know if I'll be able to, except maybe at lunch.

Right now I have an animal project going at work and a squares project at home so I don't have to carry things back and forth.

...I'm currently working on a m-a-m and it's the perfect carry along size...

What is a m-a-m? I looked at the acronyms and didn't find it.:think

As for crocheting at work, it doesn't happen for me. If I don't have any tasks remaining, my day is done. I am an accountant for a small business and right now the boss only has me handling accts receivable. So I'm usually in and out within a couple hours. My average work week is 15 to 18 hours. I wish it was more hours but I'll take what I can get.

I do however crochet while watching tv or, like now, surfing the internet and visiting the forums... :hook

I'm a Deputy Court Clerk and sometimes I do sneak it in when I have a small project to do. I don't what difference it makes when others are playing games or buying on Ebay, but I get told I will get into trouble.

Wish I had a job that I could crochet and/or knit at work.

Archived