Do you crochet at work?

artemis

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work alone in a leasing office. I've been bringing it with me lately and crocheting at lunch. Otherwise I find myself working thru lunch and nobody wants to do that!!! I'm currently working on a m-a-m and it's the perfect carry along size. I'll sew it together at home.

I work as a customer Service Rep at a call center :phone and crochet at work all the time! I have made hats and scarves for several coworkers and now have 3 coworkers that are pregnant and wanting afghans! I have started several other coworkers crocheting too and am trying to get them started on baby hats for local hospitals and squares4surviors!

I work as a Labor and Delivery nurse on the 7p-7a shift, I always take my crochet to work but that does not mean that I get to work on It. There are about 7 of us that crochet on my wing and we make baby hats and scratch mitts to give out to the new babies. Lately I haven't had time to crochet, just help deliver babies, looks like we are in a baby boom as well as an oil boom in extreme western Oklahoma

I don't even have time to dream about crochet at work...but...I plan and present Education activities for physicians...and I noticed...with envy...two physicians that have attended a few of the lectures I've planned...with their little bags next to them on the floor...they sit next to each other through the conferences...one crochets the other knits...I haven't had the pleasure yet to introduce myself and share with them how envious I am that they have thier stash at their feet while I'm in my heels making sure the speaker goes on in time, and the AV needs are met and the coffee is served etc etc.

I have a ball of yarn in my desk...and a size J hook stuck in it...I swear...one day I'm going to use it!

Perception is what its all about in most cases...If you're in a call center...you can talk and single stitch till you puke!..but if you're in a Dr's office...who wants to watch you crochet...while they wait and wait and wait...and wait...with no idea WHY they are waiting.

PS...I learned something today that concerns me. An Anesthesiologist asked my librarian friend to look for an article that he read a couple years ago about Anesthesiologists who READ in the OR during surgery..yes I said READ...NOT your vital signs but rather the local paper or a good book...hmmmm...I had some trouble with the thought of that..."I'm paying you a zillion dollars an hour to make sure that my vital signs are ...well...VITAL...and you're READING????" Well...apparently its not uncommmon...apparently putting people to sleep and watching them sleep for like 2 hours is pretty boring...I guess one can understand that...but...I'm paying you a ZILLION dollars to be bored to death and make sure that I'm alive when the other guy is done doing what I pay HIM a zillion dollars to do...so put that newspaper down and watch my blood pressure!!!!!!!!!!

Food for thought.

I too have completed several projects at work, including full sized afghans. It's a rather small town Post Office, so there are times when *time* is all that is abundant. Being that we're renovating our kitchen, work is about the only time I have to crochet these days. I don't understand, hubby says if I don't start using some of this yarn, I'm going to have to move out 'cuz there's no room for anything else... but he insists that I help with the remodeling! Sheesh! :blah

I used to work in a cig/cigar shop for 7 years. Just me there......worked about 30 hrs a week. Crocheted quite often. The customers had no problem with me crocheting either. Had some very interesting conversations. A few wanted to learn ..... so told them...come in on a Sunday and I would teach them! (sigh....no one did) But ..I did sell a lot of dishcloths and other stuff. Even had internet too ..... so I got to check on Crochetville a lot LOL

I work alone in a leasing office. I've been bringing it with me lately and crocheting at lunch. Otherwise I find myself working thru lunch and nobody wants to do that!!! I'm currently working on a m-a-m and it's the perfect carry along size. I'll sew it together at home.

We are having an open house at one of the apartments for the last few days. It hasn't been very busy so I finished the M-a-M and I'm almost done with a shawl I'm making for myself from yarn I got at a thrift store...Simply Soft off white. Not bad! I paid $3 for that yarn and I get paid my regular wage to work on it...over time today!:D

I'm a stay at home mom...so I'm always at work LOL!! My crochet is the only thing that helps me to keep a grip on what little sanity I've got left!! I think I wind up crochetting for between 6 and 7 hours a day between when I can grab 10 minutes here and there and after the kids are in bed at night...and it helps to give me something I can touch and see that I've actually accomplished something on the days the kids drive me nuts LOL!!

Jessie

I wrote in earlier on this thread and wanted to tell you what happened. I forgot to bring my crochet to work and ended up working longer than normal. It was just watching one of the teacher's children sleep, so I really had nothing to do. I had an hour of sitting in the dark, watching a little guy sleep. I broused through some books, but it wasn't the same. Next time, I am bringing my bag to work!

:manyheart

I try and crochet at work on my lunch breaks but I always seem to spend it looking up crafty things online. My coworkers don't seem to even notice.

I do crochet on the bus. i'm working on the color bar blanket from the happy hooker book. It require 140 granny squares. I'm sure the people on the bus are wondering what the heck i'm doing with a different colour of yarn every few days. :)

It is very rewarding to be able to make something as a result of down time. While other people are sitting on the bus staring out the window, I'm finishing a project.

I work at wal-mart and sometimes I crochet or knit but I loose track because so many people break at the same time, and when they come in they all want to know what i'am doing......so at home I get to take it a part becase I work on complicated patterns and got a head of myself

Michelle

I crochet at work. My desk drawer doubles as a wonderful yarn-tainer. I dub it the desk-tainer! :lol Nobody can say the corporate environment isn't yarn-friendly! :lol Maybe someday I'll show you my hank-hanger, err I mean desk lamp.

2183932690026294795kdMPNF_th.jpg

Who else crochets at work? What sort of work do you do? What do you work on? What do your co-workers think? Why do you crochet at work?

I crochet everyday during lunch. It's good to get away from work for a little while and relax the mind. I used to crochet with a couple of friends, but they don't work there any more. I either work on whatever project I'm into at the time, or a dishcloth. My co-workers are used to me. They usually ask me what I'm working on, "ooo ahhh that's nice, I wish I could do that, I just don't have the patience".

:ladybug Pam

• 5 weeks later...

I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who crochets at work :clap I am also a 911 operator, I started crocheting when I worked the midnight shift so that I would stay awake! Now I work afternoons and still crochet away! I always wonder if the people calling in known that when I answer the phone in my most serious voice "911 what is your emergency?" that I'm furiously writing down my stitch count so I don't lose my place:hook

This is a really interesting thread. I loved reading about how people fit their hobbies into their jobs without giving offence, or neglecting their work. I am a school librarian, and would not dream of crocheting at my desk. And our break is too short to do anything other than gobble some food. But, many of the teachers are very into crafts, and sometimes, before or after classes, I slip into the staff room, and we show each other our projects, and share ideas and help. (Much like Crochetville, on a face-to-face basis) I really enjoy this, as none of my family and friends are interested in crochet or any other form of needlework or crafts, and I do not have anyone other than my colleagues to share with. (Family and friends are very interested in fighting over acquring the results of my crochet, though).

I would LOVe to crochet at work, but I'm a executive admin assist, for a "big bannana", and its an atmosphere were you have to at least look busy even if I'm not. That's where the computer comes in :) So during down time, I can come to the ville and check out all the new posts, or surf patterns and stuff. Many times i've brought projects to work, and every time they just sit in the bag, so I just stopped bringing it.

I crochet at work sometimes, but only during lunch or breaks. As a legal secretary specializing in collections there is simply too much wrk to sit and crochet.. especially with a mountain of files looking at me lol I have sold alot at work though just by bringing my most recent project.. and at least one person has been inspired to learn to crochet and is doing quite well on her own with that :)

When I worked at a reference desk in grad school I was much frustrated. We could do our homework at the desk - which involved hauling everything out, ignoring what was going on around you, then picking it all up and putting it all away when someone came over. So I was in the constant state of being interrupted. But I wasn't allowed to crochet at the desk - which I could do without looking at it, and could drop and pick up at a moments notice. Since I never was working on anything of sigificance at the time, finishing it was not a factor and I could easily relax.

Now I crochet during my commute and at lunch. When I get on a crochet bender, I'll spend all evening infront of the TV, crocheting. Heavens - I'll crochet and websurf!

Archived