Do you crochet at work?

artemis

I teach school and it's go-go-go from 7:30 am until 3:30 pm.

I have a 30 minute break during which I usually set up for the afternoon and then sit in the teacher's lounge with my "buds" for 5-10 minutes before the kids come back in from recess.

This year I've decided to bring some crochet into the lounge with me. It has to be something that does not require concentration and is not too big. So I've packed a small tote with yarn for "The Kangaroo Bag" from Margaret Huber's book Hooked Bags. It's just straight sc with a K hook...a "no-brainer".

In just the three days I've been doing this I can feel my blood pressure dropping. It really helps me get through the afternoon.

Who else crochets at work? What sort of work do you do? What do you work on? What do your co-workers think? Why do you crochet at work?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I last worked a job, yes I did take my crochet. It was working computers for a hospital. When we did our system save it gave me a little time to crochet. The girls loved it I was always making things they ordered. Now I answer the phone for my husbands business and do all his computer work, so I sit and crochet while doing that.

I work as a Court Clerk in a City Court in a college town and we are very busy on most days. I'm the Chief Clerk and supervise 3 people (not including the judges).

I always bring my crochet with me. I have good intentions of doing a few rows, but usually don't get any done. I'm easily distracted by work. My staff thinks it's really neat, they are impressed with what I can do with the yarn. I've also noticed that when I manage to do a few rows, I feel more relaxed.

I'm trying to make a conscious effort to do a few rows at lunch each day...

Pat

Yes, I bring my crocheting to work, I now have two others who are bringing in crocheting :clap

Because I work on things at home also, many times fellow co-workers don't get to see the WIP to often.:devil

well i dont work yet but i bring it to school

i do it on the bus ride (20 minutes) and during class downtime ("wait for the bell" "keep quiet while i set this up"

a lot of people think its cool, one girl was like "dang you're old lol" (im 16...so is she)

i was so shocked one girl called it knitting and a boy was like ITS NOT KNITTING ITS CROCHETING before i could even open my mouth

i also get asked to hold it up so people can see what i did

when i was leaving a class the teacher (shes in her late 20's) was like 'keep the crochet alive" (shes not a crocheter)

one person thought i was being rude one day though... it was class downtime and he asked me something, i answered without looking up... hes like "dang she didnt even look up" but it was ok after i explained why

I work in a customer service call center at a bank. I bring my crochet to work on during my breaks & lunch every day. It's my "daily therapy" and helps me relax. I eat at my desk to have more crochet time on my lunch break.:)

Co-workers always comment on what I'm making & have placed special orders too!

I'm a housekeeper at a hospital. I crochet during my 30 min. meal break and my 15 min. coffee break. I work 5 pm to 1:30 am, but I work real fast and usually finish by midnight. I spend the rest of the time crocheting unless someone else needs help in their area. I make stockings, fridgies, granny squares, slippers, anything small that doesn't need too much concentration and can be set down easily. :hook

YEP! I run a toy/gift store for my mum volunatrily so I'm always crocheting or scrappin or something :D

I have been tempted to take my crochet to work, but I work at UPS and it's pretty much go go go from the time I get there until the time I go home. There are some days where I have nothing to do for 30 mins before time to go home but I'm so dirty I wouldn't want to touch my pretty yarn. A few of the girls I work with have seen some of my work and love it. ( I am a local sorter that means I scan all the out going packages that go to other states and stuff and call ppl to try and get correct address and such it's a very dirty job from all the coal dust and grime)

I work in a public library, in the children's department(pray for me *lol*). These past few months I've started taking my crochet with me. It's really relaxing-especially this summer when the kids threatened to drive me completely insane. I even ended up teaching a crochet class during the summer because of it, and it was a hit.

It's really nice to work in it during my lunch our and on my breaks..I feel like I'm progressing more if I get some done at work and at home.

I work at a tech support helpdesk, so all I do all day long is sit at my desk. So for the past 4 months that I've been crocheting, I definitely do crochet while at work, while waiting on people to reboot, and other mindless tasks! :lol Helps kill the time, and keeps me from wanting to pull out my hair once in a while. :lol I'm generally a calm yet really active person, so it helps keep me in my chair, I guess.....

Because of constantly having to put it down, pick it up, etc., I don't work on too complicated of projects (things with repetative stitches or nice long rows of a pattern are good), nor can I carry anything with me that's too big (my long hooded cloak, or soon the afghan I'm still trying to get started on!), but most things fit nicely into my canvas tote to go with me. I carry 1 or 2 things in my bag every single day (I get bored with 1 sometimes) and get to work on it at least a little bit almost every day. People often like to stop by to see what I'm working on that day, because it's always something different. :lol My cubicle neighbor has already acquired herself a couple of things because she liked them so much she asked about one, and of course I gladly whipped them up for her! :)

In fact, there's not much in my photo album that I *didn't* work on from work...

I use to an the old store I worked at, lol. But since the sent me to a different one, a way busier one I have no time for much of anything, not even thinking about home and stuff. But I did enjoy working on my crochet then and i do take it with me to appointments and stuff.:yarn

I work in a radiology office. I was crocheting here at work while waiting on the radiologist to come do an exam or when there was a bit of quiet time. Not shirking my duties at all, i also crocheted first thing in the morning after i had the rooms set up and cleaned up around the dept. after the evening crew(what a mess!) I was told i would get "written up" if i was seen crocheting....is that any different from hanging on the phone with a personal call or surfing the net for panties? I no longer bring it with me to work, except to work on it during my lunch break!

I was told i would get "written up" if i was seen crocheting....is that any different from hanging on the phone with a personal call or surfing the net for panties? I no longer bring it with me to work, except to work on it during my lunch break!

These have been fun to read! I enjoy hearing about other people's jobs and what you do. The world is so full of interesting variety!

Yes, it does show a certain lack of understanding that crocheting is not allowed, but personal phone calls and personal web-surfing are overlooked. Still, there is no way I'd crochet in the classroom, even when children are out at recess. That's my work space. I really have to force myself to go sit down in the lounge and crochet, but if I stay in the classroom on my break, I don't relax.

Who else would like to tell us about their job and how crochet fits in?

Yes, I bring my knitting/crochet to work. I work at a craft store so it's kinda ok.

I'm starting to not like the excessive attention it generates from coworkers though. I'm on my break and I want to be left alone to unwind. I can't answer a million questions about it when I only have 30 minutes.

I Too Used To Crochet At Work. I Work At A Family Owned Hdwe Store And When I Began There (over 21yrs Ago) I Used To Crochet In Between Customers And Everyone Used To Love To See Me Crocheting And The Work I Did. Then When One Of The Sons Took Over So Banned Me From Crocheting By Saying That Someone Had Made A Complaint Against Me (via Email). Sooo After 18yrs I Had To Stop Crocheting. I Was Sooo Devastated It Took Me A Yr. To Get Back Into It. Too This Day Customers Still Say "why Aren't You Crocheting"? I Still Crochet Before Work(in My Car), & On My Lunch Break. I Requested To See That Email That Was Made Against Me, But Got To Get A Copy Of It, Sooo I Think The Boss Man Just Made It Up, Cuz' He Never Liked Me Crocheting. It Still Burns Me Up To This Day. Well That's My Story Of Crocheting At Work..

Jaye

I am a church secretary/bookkeeper for a small church and I do have a lot of down time. When I was taking college classes, I could study at work as long as I got my work done first. Now that I've graduated I will take my crocheting to work. I'm usually the only one in the office, so I'm not bothering anyone, plus I have to be here to answer the phones, even if there is nothing else to do. Church work is strange in that one week I'll be so busy I can't keep up and the next week I'll have almost nothing to do.

When I do crochet I try to bring in things that I plan to give to Project Linus. That way I don't feel like I'm taking advantage of my position. It all goes to charity.

Hi,

I bring my crochet to the preschool with me. Once we settle in (after the first month), I get to crochet at work. The kiddies get a rest time for an hour before they get picked up, and that is the time my co-teacher and I get a break. We eat our lunches and then I crochet, if I don't have planning things that need to be done. I love this time of day!

Linda:manyheart

I work for the U.S. Government, and they frown on me crocheting on taxpayer's time.

However, I do crochet during my 15 minute breaks (twice a day) and half hour lunch. And I use that time to my advantage. I have perfected the skill of eating at my desk while working so I don't waste any of my lunch time actually eating.

Now, my second job at Hobby Lobby...even though it's a craft store, the only day I bring in my crocheting is on Saturdays. When I go on on M-F (after my first job), I only work about 4 1/2 hours, so all I get is a 15 minute break. Not worth it lugging my crocheting in just for 15 minutes. And then, I'm so tired, I just want to get home, and I don't want to go clear to the other side of the store to the break room to get my crocheting.

I will bring it in on Saturdays though...at least I get a lunch as well as a break. But that's one job in which I can't eat and work at the same time.

I always have a project with me at class. If it's a particularly long lecture, I will pull it out and work. It helps me stay focused on what is being discussed. I have to keep my hands busy if I have to stay seated for long periods of time. I have a couple of professors that this had offend and they have asked me not to do it. Others have no problem with it, especially when I explain why I'm doing it. I have taken things to work with me, but I don't usually get to work on it their. I get to chattering with my cohorts and run out of time before heading back with the kido's. I am a special ed teacher.

Rosemary

• 2 weeks later...

I only crochet a work during my lunch hour, but I do crochet then. I find it really helps me regain my perspective on the day. As a secretary, I have to take board meeting minutes once a month and I bring my crocheting then and it sure makes those long, boring meetings much more enjoyable.

Archived