Just wondering...who would like...

Jenny..thanks for the head's up...we were down in NC in June, expecting it to be really hot the whole time...yeah...it rained the entire time we were down there LOL!! Since the wedding itself is planned to be outside, but the reception inside, I was figuring on doing a pretty shawl to go along with the dress..or, if I'm really feeling ambitious, possibly a bolero jacket...but probably the shawl LOL!!

I've got to get Jeff (my DH) to take a pic, but so far I've got the top front done and the back is underway...I'll have him take a pic of the back tonight before I do any more work on it, but I don't think I can post a pic of the frint yet as it's basically just a pair of halfcircles in the bra area and it looks really low-cut til you work the edging...which I can't do til I've got the back finished and the straps done LOL...I think what I'll do is take a pic of the front, with it on the couch or something, then have him take a pic of the back while I'm in it:D....

I'll keep ya posted ladies!!

Jessie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Krystal - I wear a 38F and I'm between a 12/14 in the waist(all depends on what I eat that week. *lol*) If the shirts fit in the chest' date=' they're too loose in the waist, and vice versa....it's SO annoying! :angry The only shirts I've ever found that work are the baby tees at American Eagle, but I can't wear those to work! But New York & Company has finally come out with a button down blouse that is darted in the waist. Now if I can just find more than two stores...;)[/quote']

YES! I'm not alone!!:c9 I've never tried AE or NY & C simply because i always thought of them as "skinny people stores" so I'll have to look in there...i've always liked the look of NY & C clothes so thanks for the tip!

I'm a big girl too. 38D, 20 (22). I don't crochet clothes, but it sounds wonderful. I'd like to see that. It's great that you will design large sizes.

As for shirts that fit, I sometimes get mens jerseys size XLT. They are made to fit tall, wide shouldered guys.

Ellie 13

Sorry ladies..I spent yesterday curled up in bed, nursing a cold that hit me fast & took no prisoners...feel better today, but yesterday I couldn't even sit up long enough to crochet anything....I hope to get the back piece finished today, and I'll try to wrangle my DH into some picture taking later....

I got to thinking though...for some steps in the directions, it might help to have a pic along with the written instructions...but especially with the top section, I'm not really sure I should post those pics on here...would any of you be willing to PM me with your regular email addy?? Then I can email you all with the pattern & pics once I get it all worked out...

Jessie

YES! I'm not alone!!:c9 I've never tried AE or NY & C simply because i always thought of them as "skinny people stores" so I'll have to look in there...i've always liked the look of NY & C clothes so thanks for the tip!

And NY & C is having a really nice sale! *lol* If it's still going on this week, I'm going to pick up some blouses. Check out the...it think they're called west end trousers. alas, they're not on sale...

Jessie,

Sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well. :sick The same thing hit me last night. :sick

Sending you :soup and :water to help you feel a bit better. Then you can have some :cchip and :icecream

Anyway, I'm sending you a PM with my e-mail address.

Thanks for the offer.

Goofy..yep, I got your PM..look for a reply in a moment...

fuzzbugjr...thanks for the meds!! I'm still sniffly & achy, but I'm getting my older DD off to school today and plan on hookin up a storm this afternoon while my younger DD naps!! Seems like I can actually live without being able to breathe..but I had to go a whole day without crochet and I was miserable LOL!!!

Krystal - I wear a 38F and I'm between a 12/14 in the waist(all depends on what I eat that week. *lol*) If the shirts fit in the chest' date=' they're too loose in the waist, and vice versa....it's SO annoying! :angry The only shirts I've ever found that work are the baby tees at American Eagle, but I can't wear those to work! But New York & Company has finally come out with a button down blouse that is darted in the waist. Now if I can just find more than two stores...;)[/quote']

Oh do I hear ya! Sounds like we're built about the same. I have had wonderful luck with a UK company that sells clothing, swimsuits and bras for the large-busted woman who is small to average everywhere else. http://www.bravissimo.com

Because of the exchange rate, it can be pricey, but it is sooooo worth it. I love the shirts and bras I've bought from them. And I also found quite a few people selling new and gently used stuff from Bravissimo on eBay for pretty cheap...so it's worth a search there too.

Hey Goofy!!

Nope, you haven't missed anything!! I was sick and seemed to be on the verge of recovering for three or four days, so I didn't do much hooking in the evenings...then my neighbor told me about the Michael's needing a crochet teacher, so I went down there and was told that I'd need to figure everything out and have a sample done ASAP since their open house to promote the classes is on Sept 30th...so everything else got put on hold til I finished that...I have to run to Michael's tomorrow morning with my info and the sample and find out if I have to make anything else for them to hire me to teach the class....once I know that, I'll be able to get back to my halter dress pattern....

At this point, I've got the bust section finished, just need my DH to double-check it visually to make sure I'm actually seeing what I think I'm seeing LOL....then it's on to the torso section, which will lead directly into the skirt section...I've already got the pattern written up, just have to actually exicute it and make sure it's understandable to other people...then I'll post pics and I'll email the pattern to everyone who's given me their private email addies!!! It shouldn't take me too long...I think the torso section of the halter top only took me a day & a half to do, and that was writting the pattern as I went...so I'm thinking a week, tops...as long as I've completed everything I need for the Michael's class of course!! I'll make a posting here before I email everyone the pattern!!

Thanks!!

Jessie

Jessie, I think you must be an angel :angel Like the rest of you ladies on this thread, I too am tired of finding cute patterns, only to see that they're designed for smaller sizes. I'm a size 18 with an average bust line (40-C) and I've been getting a little teary-eyed while reading this thread... Somehow it's really nice to know that I've got a lot of "sisters" out there with the same clothing issues that I have. I wish I could give ya'll a big hug! :hug

Instead of a husband convincing me to give up the over-sized clothing, it was my best friend (a 5' 10" leggy size 8) who convinced me to try clothes that really FIT and gave me a shape, instead of trying to hide behind a bunch of fabric. To this day, all of my favorite, most flattering outfits are the ones she's helped my pick out.

There's a book out on the market called something like "Kints for Big Girls" which has some pretty cute patterns for large sizes but they're for KNITTERS... very frustrating. I wonder if we could all join forces and create our own book for patterns for crocheter??? I bet if we did, we could get it published! :yay

There's a book out on the market called something like "Knits for Big Girls" which has some pretty cute patterns for large sizes but they're for KNITTERS... very frustrating. I wonder if we could all join forces and create our own book for patterns for crocheter??? I bet if we did, we could get it published! :yay

I have been thinking along these lines as well, We should be able to take what we know of crochet and fitting ourselves and make a line of patterns that could be adapted to whatever fitting issues each person deals with.

Being large doesn't mean that you are tall or that your legs/arms are long.

Being large doesn't mean you don't have a smaller top or have less bust or more bust.

I have been thinking about how I would develop a pattern that would fit and be flattering as well. We should be able to put our heads togther and come up with some guidelines or schematics. (like the famous simple pink shrug that brought me to crochetville.)

What issues do we have to address in preparing our patterns? what if someone with a set body shape presents a pattern and we see what it takes for us to make that work? there is a pattern-type system based on the letters H O A X. I personally am an H :yes but I have a good friend who is an A:hug. Can we devise something that is flattering for both of us? hmnnn

I have been thinking of this. I may not be there yet but keep talking...:yes

Working from a real perspective. I made the "vest" from this site-- scroll down to crocheted halter tops (peach and yellow)

http://www.geocities.com/fasharch3/patterns.html

I have been wondering how I could work from that to make what I want.

It begins with the waist portion and the top ( what there is of it) works up from there. I was thinking at the time that it would not take much to add a skirt to the bottom. (We will not discuss the fact that we don't need something that makes our waists larger by the use of posted crochet :D)

In my little pea brain, this would begin a schematic that begins by making a waist piece that goes around us and then we build up and down using whatever stitch we want. We could add the Victoria's Secret skirt to this waisted part. Now that would be so cool!

Am I going in a direction others could follow.

BTW, don't scroll down too quickly as there are other bits that could teach us something.

Ladies...I love that so many of you have replied to this thread...I honestly never thought there would be this much interest...but then again, I guess we've all been dealing with the less-than flatering clothing and the frustration at trying to find something nicer for us fluffy gals...I can't even begin to tell you all how these posts have made me feel...it definately does help to know I'm not the only one to heave these issues....

The way I'm writting up this pattern involves having someone else using a measuring tape, and trying it on several times...and it starts from the top down...the bust section is snug to show the girls off, but each part of it should be customizable with a little crochet know-how...at every step of the pattern I've been thinking about how to make it work for gals who are bustier than me, or less busty...or bigger or smaller....I'm at the final stage where I need my DH's eyes to double check myself, so I have to wait til tonight when he can look at it for me...then it's on to the torso/skirt section, which I already have all figured out from the last time I did this top...I am really excited to get this finished and typed up so that I can send it out to all of you and see how it works for all of you...but I so totally want pictures of all of you in your dresses!!!

About that Big Girl Knits book...I have it...I'm just getting back into knitting myself and I love, love, love those patterns...and there is definately a part of me that wants to translate them into crochet...I might just try my hand at some similar items...like I've been thinking about a wrap-top, cause I love them and I love how I look in them...but this halter is the very first thing I've ever designed myself, and it took 3 incarnations of it before this to get it where I wanted it...so it might take me some time...but I think I'll be trying my hand at more patterns in the future..especially if I can count on you ladies to help me test them out and figure out how to make them customizable for all our curvy sista's!!!

Hugs & Snuggles to you all!!

Jessie

Hey ladies!!

OK, so I got through all the difficult parts...got to the section that should be the easiest...and I've had to frog it 8 times in the last 2 days....I'm getting very frustrated cause I shouldn't be having any issues with this section, but I just can't seem to get my hook to do what my brain is thinking....Just to give my brain (and my stress-level) a break, I'm going to put this down for a couple of days and work on something else....

I know you're waiting for this pattern, but I really think if I start this section and have to frog it even once more, I'm going to lose my mind...I'm really sorry about the delay, but I need to do something else for a day or two before I get PO'ed and just ditch the whole project...I'll most likely be back to this before the end of the weekend....I'll keep you all posted...

Jessie

I am a bit late joining in on this but I am glad to see it happening. I have been successfully getting rid of some of the extra me that I have been carrying around but I am still not a small person and I have lots of family that would love some clothing that actually fit them.

Thanks so much for being willing to share your work. That is an awesome thing!

Archived