Just wondering...who would like...

to see a pattern for a plus-sized halter dress? The kind you could actually wear a bra under and still look cute in??

I've been working on a halter top pattern over the last several months and now that I've got it just the way I want it, it's getting too chilly to wear a halter top outside LOL!! But that got me thinking about extending the top into a dress...and a wedding that I've got on the calendar for Nov. of '07 in the South...And I'm starting to think that I'll work out this dress pattern and make one up to wear for the wedding....hmmm...

Would this interest anyone else? It'll be written for my size (18/20, 44D bust) but I'd be willing to try my hand at adjusting the pattern for other sizes once it's written....if there's an interest anyway....

Jessie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see it! :yes I'm about a size 20, and it is always so dissapointing to pick up a cute pattern only to find that it only goes up to say, a small or a medium. If you're willing to share your pattern, I'd really appreciate it.

Yammy...I'm going to be incorporating elastic into the section just under the bust, so I think it would be relatively easy to adjust to smaller sizes...

Ladies...I can tell you that I've gotten rave reactions to the halter top...I just have to extend it into a dress now...I'll keep you ladies posted on my progress!!! I'm thinking the finished item will be in the same vibe as the famous Marilyn Monroe white dress...very feminine, very pretty...something that makes everyone take notice!!:devil

I'll keep you ladies posted on my progress!! Thanks for your responces!!:manyheart

Jessie

sounds great Jessie!! I am a plus size (aussie 24) with a smaller bust so I love halters and babydolls cos they accentuate what I dont have while hiding what I do!! It's really hard for me to buya blouse etc as they hang so baggy in the bust and stuff. If I but it to fit the bust there is no way it's going to go around my middle.. oh to heck with clothes! lol. You go Jessie.. and I don't wanna hear anyone say "some people are just too fat to wear.." cos it simply isn't true. I applaud your intuition and creativity Jessie :)

sounds great Jessie!! I am a plus size (aussie 24) with a smaller bust so I love halters and babydolls cos they accentuate what I dont have while hiding what I do!! It's really hard for me to buya blouse etc as they hang so baggy in the bust and stuff. If I but it to fit the bust there is no way it's going to go around my middle.. oh to heck with clothes! lol. You go Jessie.. and I don't wanna hear anyone say "some people are just too fat to wear.." cos it simply isn't true. I applaud your intuition and creativity Jessie :)

Man, that is exactly my problem, too Shell. I'm about a plus 20 or 18, and my bust is small. None of the plus size shirts fit me because my bust is too small, and the XL tops are tight around my middle and my arms. It is so hard to find clothes that fit i could just scream.

I've never tried halters or babydolls because I feel like I look pregnant in them . . . maybe I should try it.

Nicole

Man' date=' that is exactly my problem, too Shell. I'm about a plus 20 or 18, and my bust is small. None of the plus size shirts fit me because my bust is too small, and the XL tops are tight around my middle and my arms. It is so hard to find clothes that fit i could just scream.

I've never tried halters or babydolls because I feel like I look pregnant in them . . . maybe I should try it.

Nicole[/quote']

You're serious Nicole? :cheer :cheer :cheer I have thought I was so alone!! I thought surely, if other woman have this problem, there'd be clothes out there better fitting.. I guess not! It's such a nice feeling to know I am one of many :blush

You're serious Nicole? :cheer :cheer :cheer I have thought I was so alone!! I thought surely, if other woman have this problem, there'd be clothes out there better fitting.. I guess not! It's such a nice feeling to know I am one of many :blush

I'm totally serious. :) I am happy to see I am not alone, either. I definitely thought, like you, that there would be clothes to fit people like me if there were more like me. Finding bras is ridiculously difficult, also.

Oh, well, at least we're not alone! :cheer

Nicole

Finding bras is ridiculously difficult' date=' also./quote']

I was going to say that too... :rofl

Ladies...I'm surprised that so many of you replied to this!! Terrific!! :c9 I started re-writing the pattern yesterday while my older DD was in school and my younger DD was napping, and I got to hooking it up last night..I've got the bust section nearly finished..I'll keep you ladies posted on my progress...:hook

And Shell & Yearnin...one thing that my DH has made me realize in the last couple of years is that the big oversized stuff I usually wore did absolutely nothing for me, but that unfortunately that's the sort of stuff clothing manufacturers (at least the affordable ones) think we big gals should be wearing...during my first pregnancy, I had family members telling me at my baby shower (3 weeks before delivery) that 'at least you haven't gotten big'...but I really had...they just didn't realize it because I was able to wear my normal shirts through the entire pregnancy, that's how oversized they were....I really think that unless we start designing cute outfits for ourselves, no one else will..hopefully, if enough people start making & wearing plus-sized, cute outfits, it will start a trend with professional designers & the bigger companies!!:yay

Jessie

that sounds like a great idea! i'm a bit chubby around the middle (about a 14) but really, really, big in the bust (36F) not only is it hard to find bras but i have so many problems finding clothes that don't scream "LOOK AT MY BOOBS!" and if they do fit in the chest, they are not flattering to my stomach at all :bang <<and that's all i want to do when i'm shopping lol and being able to wear a bra with a halter would be AMAZING!

I'd totally love to see it! I'm a size 16, with a 38G bust and I live in Florida.

Clearly, you must have been thinking of me when you decided to make this, lol!

that sounds like a great idea! i'm a bit chubby around the middle (about a 14) but really, really, big in the bust (36F) not only is it hard to find bras but i have so many problems finding clothes that don't scream "LOOK AT MY BOOBS!" and if they do fit in the chest, they are not flattering to my stomach at all :bang <<and that's all i want to do when i'm shopping lol and being able to wear a bra with a halter would be AMAZING!

Krystal - I wear a 38F and I'm between a 12/14 in the waist(all depends on what I eat that week. *lol*) If the shirts fit in the chest, they're too loose in the waist, and vice versa....it's SO annoying! :angry The only shirts I've ever found that work are the baby tees at American Eagle, but I can't wear those to work! But New York & Company has finally come out with a button down blouse that is darted in the waist. Now if I can just find more than two stores...;)

YES!!! I'm defenitly interested in this pattern. :cheer I'm in need of a dress for a wedding in June. We were told to get any black dress we wanted. It is very hard to find a dress that looks good on my body. They either look good in the chest or waist but not both. I would love to see a picture of it in progress if possible.

Ladies...I must say that I'm just amazed that so many of you are interested in this! I honestly wasn't expecting much of a responce LOL!!:think

I've got the bust finished, but I need to wrangle my DH into doing a few measurements on me before I can continue with the back of it....I'll post a WIP pic once I get the entire top section finished...I'm working it up in Simply Soft in a pretty blue..I don't have the skein at hand for the exact name...

Jessie

Jessie, it sounds wonderful! However, I live in the south, and it gets pretty dang cold down here in November. You might wanna plan to have a wrap with it. :) The humid damp cold is probably not what you're used to in CT, I lived in Mass. for two years. Believe me, its a world of difference. It may not get 'as cold' but with the damp humidity, it will feel just as cold. Just some words of wisdom, lol! I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see this when its finished.

Add me to the list of excited happy folks who can't wait to see the pictures *and* the pattern! Thanks very much for sharing with all of us.

cheers - tbird

Archived