Phoenix area crocheters?

Figmint77

I know there are at least two of us in the Phoenix area, was wondering if there are any more. Maybe we could form a little group to converge on the yarns stores or do Ladies Nights and such.

~Tricia

Amber,

I crochet with mostly. I am just learning to use thread and it's a slow process. I've made several afghans because it does get cold here in the winter... right now we've got about 35 degree temperature drop between day and night. Of course I also make potholders and coasters and pet blankies and the occasional toy.

Patty,

Do you have alot of good yarn shops down in Tucson? I lived down there during the Academy, but we really didn't get much time to get out into town. I haven't been able to enjoy the weather really as I've been sick for the last week. Ick. So what sort of things do you crochet?

~Tricia

Tricia,

We have a local chain (2 stores so far) called Purls that has some of the most gorgeous yarn I've ever seen! I had no idea you could buy 100 yards of yarn for $25! :eek This could be a very expensive hobby! So far I've only crocheted three scarves (niece, nephew, bil), but I'm working on one for my mom, an afghan for my sis and bil (which I am having so many problems with!), and a dog sweater for a friend. I'm very much a beginner, but figured that scarves for the whole family, each from a different pattern using a different stitch or stitches, would help me learn them all. I'm all about learning in baby steps. Other than Purls, our choices are JoAnn's, Michaels, and Ben Franklin. I'm afraid I'll get suckered into ordering yarn online after seeing the gorgeous yarns people are using that aren't available in these stores.

This forum is awesome. I've spent half the afternoon surfing through and looking at everyone's projects. The Charity Crochet Along sounds great, but I'm working 2 jobs this semester, so I may have to join in this summer when I have a bit more time. And I want to crochet and full a bag so bad!!! I can't wait till May to do this!!

Patty

Patty,

I do alot of my yarn shopping at Michael's, Walmart and on ebay. I generally buy just a skien or two of exotic fibers on ebay so I can try them out because it's easier for than driving to Scottsdale or Tempe to a good yarn shop. If I buy alot of yarn for a big project, I get it at Walmart or Michael's.

I am just relearning the craft after having put it down for a long time. I consider myself to be a beginner because I forgot alot, and I crochet really slow. But, I'd be glad to help you out when and if I can.

~Tricia

Hi Tricia and Patty! Is it okay if a non-Patricia joins in on you? I live in Prescott. When I moved here 4 yrs ago, I got rid of all my crocheted items, feeling like it didn't really fit in to the southwest decor. But I'm going strong again.

I prefer thread. I occasionally make a yarn item, but it's not my preference. We have an excellent yarn shop here that carries the expensive stuff. But as for thread, I have to order from Herrschner's. I always do it during free shipping month, tho'. Our Ben Franklin crafts store is closing. It's owned by the same people who own the one in Tucson. Don't know if they plan to close that one, too or not.

We're retired and my husband loves to drive (while I crochet) so I always shop at Hobby Lobby every chance I get and stock up on thread and patterns. I have a roomful.

There's a group of us who meet in my home a couple of mornings a month and learn from each other. If you guys ever want to make a trip up this way, let me know!!! I go to the JoAnn's at Arrowhead whenever there's a good sale going.

Maybe this summer when it gets hot down there you guys can car pool up this way. That would be such fun!

Susan Rae

Susan Rae,

Welcome aboard. :f-1

I have yet to visit Prescott. Have you learned why they call it "Preskit"? That stumps me. There was a town like that back home. The town's name was Leicester, but they called it "Lester".

~Tricia

Tricia,

There's a very fine line between the proper and improper Preskit pronunciation. The proper is more of a "cut" than a "kit". The ones who exaggerate the "kit" are the newbies from Calif.

How long have you been in Phoenix that you've never wandered up this way? We go to Phoenix A LOT. What area are you in? I'd love for you to come up this way sometime and sit and crochet with the group!

susan rae

Susan,

I moved out to Arizona just over four years ago, at the time I was mostly broke. We've been up to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon and come back down on 89A (I think that's it) through Sedona a couple of times. We've been out to San Diego for a vacation. But, so far, we haven't gotten to Prescot or Las Vegas. Of course, both my family and my sweetie's family are on the East Coast, so we usually head that way. Our jobs don't give us alot of time to go exploring, especially since we got the house.

If we can manage to get a group of crocheters, I'd love to host(ess) a crochet night sometime.

~Tricia

Hey Susan Rae, I love Prescott! It's beautiful up there.

Although the weather has been unusually warm down here (darn it! There's no need for more heat than normal!), someone gave me a cold this weekend, so I've been sick since Monday. :ohdear The only good news is that when I finally was able to sit upright and stop coughing nonstop, I got quite a bit of my sister's Christmas scarf done. I'll have to take a photo when it's done and post it. It's got an open weave for 8 rows at the two ends and then just dc, but it's in a luscious lavender acrylic that is soooo soft, she'll love it.

This weekend I'm off to look for some wool to make a fulled bag for my friend's birthday later this month. I'm very excited, but nervous, because I've never made one of these before. Must look for a pattern online to help me with this.

Ciao!! Patty

• 3 months later...

Hi Tricia,

I know where some of the Phoenix area crocheters are. :)

I am the current president of Desert Crochet Guild, one of two area CGOA chapters. Our group usually has around 12 people in attendance for each monthly meeting. We meet the second Saturday of each month from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm in an apartment complex clubhouse. The complex is near Peoria Avenue and 7th Street. We have a show 'n share time, short business meeting, potluck lunch, then have either a crochet lesson, crochet technique class, or have a fun time sitting, chatting, and crocheting. Everyone is welcome to join us.

One of our members is now having a crochet day at her home once a month as well. I think it is still scheduled for the Thursday prior to our monthly meeting. She lives near Thunderbird and 75th Avenue.

Two of the local Hancock Fabrics locations are holding FREE crochet/knit nights. Crocheters and knitters gather together to work on projects, share completed work, get and give help to those stumbling on a pattern, and have a great opportunity to gather with other fiber artists. The store at 19th Avenue and Dunlap will have their next one on Wednesday, August 17th from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm. The store located at 67th Avenue/Peoria Avenue will be having theirs on the last Wednesday of each month. Think the time is also 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm at that location as well.

These are the places I know where to find other crocheters are here!

Kathy in Glendale

Archived