I've moved to Wonkyville, located on the wrong side of the tracks from Crochetville!

:bang I am trying to start a new project - any new project - and I can't seem to get going without totally screwing it up. The past week has been nothing but packing my junk for Wonkyville!

First, there were the socks. I had some nice sock yarn that I divided up into two equal balls to make myself some simple socks. It's a pattern that is so easy but requires a lot of ad libbing (IMO, it's not really a pattern, but more a technique or idea or process. I've used it before with no problems!). I got finished with the first one and decided I could do better, that I'd miscalculated a little in my measurements, so I went to frog it and wound up with a huge tangle. After spending almost an hour with it, I got so mad and frustrated that I threw the yarn away! :eek

So, I decided to try a free 12 inch square pattern from the Internet with some of the Desert Print yarn I got (a lot of it!) at the thrift store. When I finished, it wouldn't lie flat (very wavy in the middle) and I don't think it would've mattered if I'd done more squares to join it to...and I couldn't get the stitch counts to come out right regardless. :no So I ripped it all out and decided to try something else.

I spent a good part of Monday browsing my pattern books and came across a MAM pattern that used only varigated yarn - perfect. Never have done one of these before, so it's about time. I did the gauge swatch (oh, yes, I did!) and it was fine. Now I'm making the first strip, and get halfway through round four, almost through a complete skein of yarn, and it dawns on me that it's really not looking like what's in the picture at all. Okay, it looks nothing like the picture. The one in the picture is more solid, with distinct groups of stitches, while mine is rather lacy and blah looking. The count is all of a sudden off, and I can't figure out where. Can you guess what I'm preparing to do? :frog

This is really frustrating me! I'm almost afraid to pick up the hook again for fear I'll be disappointed in the results. :(

I thought I knew how to crochet, but maybe I don't. :think Maybe I should practice my :knit .

Been there, done that. I more than understand your frustration sometimes our brains and hooks don't connect. I find that a break for crocheting helps. Yes this is very hard for some of us but it alwas cures me from crocheters block. Take a break and when you come back to it you'll be surprised at how fast you can turn out projects. Good luck :)

When this has happened to me, what I've found really helped was to just stop, and work on a small project. The sense of accomplishment will really help get you back into the groove. :hook Even just a lil' 'fridge magnet, dishcloth, or maybe even a nice simple scarf. If nothing else, consider the frogs to be good for practicing your stitches. I find myself ripping things and doing them over just to be sure I got them right sometimes. And then they finally click!

Sometimes, you have so much on your mind that you don't even realize it. So then picking out yarn and a new pattern to try can be totally overwhelming. I was at JoAnn's on Monday and just walked out completely frustrated. I have been crocheting for over 15 years and I can still get frustrated. Sometimes, it's too many choices. Too much yarn on sale. Too many pattern books. It can be just overwhelming and you can't figure out why.

Someone had said to try something small. I usually try an easy hat pattern. It gets you back into the swing of crocheting again.

It happens to everyone. So get back on the right side of the tracks when you are ready!

Linda:manyheart

I have so been there.:eek Just last week i was fininshing a pair of mittins and apparently i had a hang nail and snaged the yarn:eek I make myself walk away from it all for a couple of days. With out realizing what i'm doing, I begin again. :yay

Wow, that sucks. I think we all can relate - I can remember times where I've sat in my lovely crochet chair surrounded by patterns, yarn, hooks, my TV clicker, an ice cold drink, and I pick a pattern - any pattern I like - and start doing it, after half an hour or so, nah, not feeling it, frog it. Search through a few more patterns, start something else, doesn't 'flow' right, frog it. Start something else... end up after about four hours with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to show for my time and efforts. :no It passes.:yes

BTDT, I've frogged, I've started small projects and currently for the next day or two I'm working my my knitting... I'm in the middle of a fair isle cardi for my DH.

DSCF0314.jpg

I usually HATE knitting but for some reason I find Fair Isle keeps my attention.

I agree. I think sometimes , it helps to go to another loved craft to do for awhile.

I got like that a few years back. I love crocheting ; but just got in a rut and frustrated that alot weren't coming out as I wanted.

I stopped for a long while expect to crochet lace to go on my aprons I sew.

I made quilts ( now I tired of making them):lol

I took up my knitting needles this past two years and have knitted away.

Finally got back in the crochet groove. thank goodness. :yesPINKROSES

we have all been there done that, in fact i am almost there right now. i have so many things i need to get done, not to mention christmas presents i should be making, right now i am just making simple things helmet liners for the troops, and a purse for the swap, easy things that do not require me to think to hard:lol :lol sometimes i just stop crafting all together and read, i read all kinds of things, i am one of those who reads the cereal boxes when she is eating it lol hang in there and when the wonkyville station comes up, stay on the train and get back to where you belong in crochetville. sending lots of:hug :hug :hug :hug for you. :yes :yes

yammy wow, thats all i can say, wow what a awesome sweater pattern. you go :yes :yes

BTDT, I've frogged, I've started small projects and currently for the next day or two I'm working my my knitting... I'm in the middle of a fair isle cardi for my DH.

DSCF0314.jpg

I usually HATE knitting but for some reason I find Fair Isle keeps my attention.

I've been there too. Once I started and got well into an afghan when I realized I hated the look of it. I frogged it, chose different colours and started over again, same thing happened, I hated it's guts. I started frogging again. Both attempts were made with different kinds of mohair, and they took much longer to frog than to crochet. I had to think of frogging as something constructive and relaxing to do, and try to not rush through it, to avoid piling it all up in the back of the closet. So I spent a good week of frogging without producing anything. :lol

I have not picked up a hook in over 4 days...which is highly unusal for me...but I've had those times where I couldn't seem to even make a granny square right...it passes...take a break, practice the knitting or something else and then try again...

It sounds like you're in the Frog City section of Wonkyville. :D

Maybe you need a little distraction. Go to B&N and check out the crochet books there. Take a nice walk in a park. Make yourself some cookies. Then, see if you can get on the train back to Crochetville!

Thanks, y'all. Glad to know I'm not a pioneer in this section of town, Frog :frog City. :wink I'm going to take a break, practice my knitting :knit, quit thinking that I've got to make something with this stash (permission to buy :shop yarn!), and make myself some cookies today :cchip .

ROFL at Wonkeyville! Lord, I've vacationed there myself more than I care to admit! I tried to make a Yoda hat, couldn't get the ears right. Just wait until you see what that ended up as! (I'm still working on it.)

Can I be the Mayor of Wonkeyville? lol

Sometimes, it does help to step back and take a break. :)

Archived