if you wear worsted weight..do you think it is itchy?

Depends on the yarn. I find acrylic worsteds really itchy, especially the less expensive ones like Pound of Love and TLC Essentials, and I don't even like to make blankets out of them because they bug me so much. Simply Soft feels nicer (in solid colors; the ombres feel like regular acrylic). Moving into natural fibers, I also find most wool itchy, but I'm supersensitive. Higher-end stuff like alpaca and cashmere will be less itchy if you have the resources to buy them.

In sum, in my experience, it's the kind of fiber, not the size of the yarn, that affects itchiness. I spend a lot of time at craft and yarn stores rubbing the skeins against the inside of my wrist and neck to see if I can stand them.

I've made sweaters using ww acrylics - including RH SS, Caron Perfect Match, etc. They do soften with wear and washing. My kids love them for medium to heavy (depending on the stitch pattern) fall sweaters. They haven't complained about them scratching (and they would!) but they there's not alot of skin contact. I'm making a bolero for myself right now using an acrylic ww, it feels fine but again won't be on my skin. I probably wouldn't make a summer top with it.

I have a cardigan made out of Caron simply soft that I wear over short aleeves with out a problem....

ok, I think I've run out of examples from my & my kids wardrobes. LOL!

What kind of top were you thinking?

I think I wil stick to the simply soft because it is ont itchy. I do poncho with w.w as well as hats and scarves, but I was going to di a top like the one I made using s.s, but I think it would itch...

I've made sweaters using ww acrylics - including RH SS, Caron Perfect Match, etc. They do soften with wear and washing. My kids love them for medium to heavy (depending on the stitch pattern) fall sweaters. They haven't complained about them scratching (and they would!) but they there's not alot of skin contact. I'm making a bolero for myself right now using an acrylic ww, it feels fine but again won't be on my skin. I probably wouldn't make a summer top with it.

I have a cardigan made out of Caron simply soft that I wear over short aleeves with out a problem....

ok, I think I've run out of examples from my & my kids wardrobes. LOL!

What kind of top were you thinking?

I don't see any reason not to try you never know what it will do after you wash it. I have found though for me that the Red Heart Super Saver hunter green is just plain itchy no matter what :think

LOL. Its for a child.....the mom is cool with it, but I dont want her to get it and not want to wear it.

yes it does. I have started putting the wearables in a lingerie bag and wash alone and that helps with the fuzzes.

carons simply soft doesn't seem to be itchy at all. the only problem i've had with it is it fuzzes up when it's washed. hope that helps some!

Archived