Diagonal blankets are evil. Pure evil.

So, yeah, anyway, I'm doing this diagonal stripe baby blanket for my daughter's physical therapist, and it's super cute and I'm nearly done.

I fold it in half, to check for square (it's been fine the whole time, and I'm down to the last 6 inches) and WHOMP, the whole thing is out of whack.

I hadn't checked for a few hours worth of crocheting, and I guess when I started, I messed up the increases, so now I have to figure out exactly what I did, and make sure I compensate my decreases the same way.

Irk. I had to pull out at least 3 hours worth of work.

Oh, yeah, did I mention this was all in tiny, itty, bitty little sc? With several color changes?

My head/wall. Bang.

Ouch! Yeah, diagonals are pretty rough.

I too would be hurting if I had had to rip out 3hrs of work. It makes my skin crawl just to think of it. *sympathetic shudder*

HI :

I'm so sorry to hear about the head aches this diagnoal afghan is giving you..

I love to make them all the time as well I do them with double crochet too.

My favorite pattern is one that i have that you literally start on one corner and built your diagnal that way.. I know i;ve seen patterns where you cropchet a long chain like 185 sts or so but i think that one would drive me nuts..

So good luck and i know you will be able to fix it..

Yes, clearly you are a superior evil spotter, lol!

I had my Grandma take a look at the blanket today, and she says it looks good, and I should be able to get it back on track just by doing some decreases, like I thought.

SHE is making a pineapple thread tablecloth. It's gorgeous. She kept trying to show me all the mistakes she made, but I'm pretty sure she was just trying to make me feel better.

I'm working on a diagonal box stitch afghan right now and I'm amazed how easy it works up. Luckily there's no way to really mess up the stitches on here because they're in boxes so I haven't had too much trouble with increasing the wrong way or anything. Good Luck with your afghan and I can't wait to see pictures!

HI :

I'm so sorry to hear about the head aches this diagnoal afghan is giving you..

I love to make them all the time as well I do them with double crochet too.

My favorite pattern is one that i have that you literally start on one corner and built your diagnal that way.. I know i;ve seen patterns where you cropchet a long chain like 185 sts or so but i think that one would drive me nuts..

So good luck and i know you will be able to fix it..

Yeah, this one is like that; I started in one corner and am now in the opposite corner. I'm nearly done; I'll take a picture of it in the morning and post it so y'all can see how scraggly my sides are, lol!

:bang I'm right beside you at the wall, sister! I was ready to start decresing my first (and only) diagonal Monday night and it looked darn small even for a baby blanket:think ...and didn't use nearly enough yarn...maybe because I wasn't actually INCREASING??? :eek So, off to play with my friend, :2frog

Now to find time to finish this.

diagonal box stitch? I do diagonal dishcloths, etc. (in DC), but not sure I know what a diagonal box stitch is. Is it written up in one of those "stitch encyclopedia" type books? (harmony guides or whatever) or is it easy enough for you to describe here?

the rip it rip it part I know well. I have a hemp tote bag I have torn the bottom piece out a lot of times because the stitch count isn't coming out right. I will have to graph it out and make sure there is no typo. Hemp is too harsh on the hands to rip out too many times.

I have like, 20 rows maybe to finish, and I'm putting it off. I actually spent most of the day yesterday ignoring laundry and vacuuming to do a PLASTIC CANVAS kit my grandmother gave me.

Sigh. Today, I have to ignore housework to finish this darn blanket.

diagonal box stitch? I do diagonal dishcloths, etc. (in DC), but not sure I know what a diagonal box stitch is. Is it written up in one of those "stitch encyclopedia" type books? (harmony guides or whatever) or is it easy enough for you to describe here?

I :manyheart diagonal box stitch. Here's a link to a tutorial with pictures so you can see it tygger428 :)

http://www.crochetcabana.com/stitches/ltc-diag-box-st.htm

I'm actually working on a lengthy project with diagonal box stitch - in thread :) (click this link if you want to see it:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33002 )

I think it's an easy stitch and makes working on the diagonal fun. As someone said earlier in the thread, it's hard to mess up increases with this stitch!

Thanks for that link to the diagonal box stitch. I really like the look of it. I just might make another diagonal blanket.

Call me a glutton for evil, lol!

Oh... I've done diagonal blankets before, corner to corner, but if I did a few extra on one side, I just did a few fewer on the other, and it came out rectangle. I mean, I think they look good as a rectangle, so maybe your baby one isn't a complete loss?? :) I don't completely understand what happened, as to why you have to take yours apart, so just ignore me if I don't make sense lol. Just thought I'd let you know that I think corner to corner can be good as rectangles too (the patterns I've seen, but sure, sometimes it just doesn't work out that way too). Good luck with it! I

Sorry you are having so much trouble. :( I can't wait to see a picture of what you've done.

I guess I was lucky... My first (and only - so far) diagonal afghan came together easily. I used that CrochetCabana pattern/tutorial that Mint posted. Easy Cheesy. :D

Good luck with the froggin' :frog

I love the diagonal box stitch, too. When I first tried it, I was making dishclothes. The first one was super wonky! But I kept making them and, after some practice, they came out much squarer. If that's a word!

I'm not the one who "frogged" their diagonal blanket. I replied to her post & think you responded to my reply, not her original post. I've done that a couple times myself, not sure how that happens. I think it was Tiga that initially posted? I've only used double crochet with mine, I think she is trying to use single crochet, so, if diagonal crochet is done with sc instead of dc, this would require a different approach. If she did single where the technique calls for double, it may well explain why it came out "off".

oh my. I've been there, done that. My first afghan EVER was an sc diagonal. Talk about nightmare....one of my corners is about six inches longer than the others .:sofunny However, the diagonal box stitch sounds pretty cool. I may just give diagonals another chance. :yay

Well, I just got done with the evil blanket in question. It's okay. One corner is a little wonky, but I'm putting a ruffly edging on it tomorrow, so I think it will look okay in the end.

Never again, I tell you. Never again with ANY sc project larger than a pair of socks. Tiny socks. Doll socks, even.

Well, I just got done with the evil blanket in question. It's okay. One corner is a little wonky, but I'm putting a ruffly edging on it tomorrow, so I think it will look okay in the end.

Never again, I tell you. Never again with ANY sc project larger than a pair of socks. Tiny socks. Doll socks, even.

Try the little Christmas stockings in the Christmas/Halloween CAL section (I don't remember who posted it). They are really cute.

Ellie 13 :manyheart

Archived