Teaching Crochet

Hi, this is LaurensMemaw. I've been crocheting for 48 yrs, and in the past ten years I've taught over 300 people to crochet at our public libraries. Any tips on teaching children under 10?

Thanks

Start with easy projects. Maybe a simple scarve or belt. Use a g or h hook and help everyone to have a good time! It is so great of you to teach that many people through the years. Quite an accomplishment.

Linda:manyheart

All the little girls I've taught love to make those fun fur flip-flops. It's just single crochet around the straps, and even girls who have trouble with the hook can finger crochet them. Another popular project is a hairband, really a single crochet strip of varying widths that I or their mom will sew elastic to. Making something that they can wear -- like the furry flip-flops or headbands, is usually very popular. I also like to introduce bead crochet early on, since little girls love beads and it's not a difficult technique. Adding pony beads to their headbands or to create "bracelets" has also been very popular. I also like that these are quick projects and don't require a lot of perseverence, like a scarf or purse for a first project. For me, those come a little later.

Archived