i am appalled!

i could not believe the nerve of some people. i went a couple weeks ago and found an amazing sale so i bought everything there i could possibly use, and i had found 4 skeins of cotton plus in tangerine, which i had been waiting to try forever but at 5.50 a skein it wasnt in my budget but at 1.00 a skein it sure was!! so i bought all 4, well yesterday i decided to use it to make a little buttoned shrug/bolero/short sweater thing and i figured it out that i had just enough to make it and put a cute little shell pattern as a trim. well much to my horror and surprise i didnt because some low life (make that CHEAP low life) had used part of a skein and returned it to the store as a full skein. i could not believe someone would do this, i mean i understand that if you dont have the money for it well dont buy it use it and return a partial skein is leave poor people like me with only 3/4 of a skein and not able to finish my border. so now my cute little mini sweater has only the little shell edge on the sleeves and the button holes, no where else. will have to post a pic in the show and tell.

That is AWFUL that that happened... but, since you've put the effort in and did get the yarn at a discount, perhaps you could 'splurge' and buy one skein at the high price... or if you have a Michael's or Joanne's near by that carries it you could use the 40% off coupon...

I have returned my share of yarn, but only when I got it home and realized the color wasn't going to work or changed my mind on a pattern.

That is AWFUL that that happened... but, since you've put the effort in and did get the yarn at a discount, perhaps you could 'splurge' and buy one skein at the high price... or if you have a Michael's or Joanne's near by that carries it you could use the 40% off coupon...

I have returned my share of yarn, but only when I got it home and realized the color wasn't going to work or changed my mind on a pattern.

i would except it was on sale because it is a discontinued color now, and there arent any craft stores here unfortunately

You know I bought some recently here and wondered the same thing as when I got home the centre was a bit hollow with a bunched up bit of yarn in the middle.

I hate that this has happened to you. That's awful. While I also return yarn when I realize the color isn't going to work for me, I won't return it even if I've unwound some of it for fear that someone will think I've used part of the skein.

Lisa

I haven't had that problem with yarn, but I have felt skeins in the store that seem a little bit lighter than some of the others. So now, I always try to sqeeze the skeins and see if they have about the same amount in them. I know that seems silly, but I do think people use just a little bit and then return it for another skein. It's just not fair!:(

I also smell the yarn, especially if it is in the bargain or clearance area. I bought yarn that had been in a smoker's house and it was awful. I ended up throwing it out because I couldn't stand to work with it. What a bargain!:angry

I hope you do find another skein to finish your project! Good luck!

LInda:manyheart

it never even occured to me that someone might do that. It's amazing how dishonest some folks are.

Wow, me either:think

I will definitly be on the lookout in the future!

it never even occured to me that someone might do that. It's amazing how dishonest some folks are.
never occured to me either, i never thought someone would actually do that, i have been to a spot in a project where i need just a couple yards to finish but i just bite the bullet and buy the skein the extra just hangs out in my stash until it finds a new purpose. i was so annoyed and disappointed that someone has the shame in cheating out another fellow crafter

I won't even buy a skein a yarn if the end is hanging out - unless that is all there is. I have found that those skeins seem to feel a little softer and less full than others and makes me think that they have been used and returned. I would never return a skein that I had used, how can people do that. Just not right.

:think This never occurred to me either, but then again my husband says I am naive. I have never returned yarn though. If I do not like it, for whatever reason, I either save it for future use, let my boys use it for whatever they can come up with, or gift it to someone else. CLLinda's post made me smile :), it was like "Don't squeeze the Charmin!" :yarn

I always buy a bit more than I think I'll need. If I have "extra" its not like it will go to waste. Even a tiny bit of yarn is enough for a preemie hat or a cat toy. Cotton leftovers make great soap savers. With charity needs for hats, blankets, pet toys, soap savers - there is no such thing as extra or wasted yarn.

It's a few bad eggs that spoil it for everyone. Because people do these kinds of things it may turn into not being able to return yarn at all. Not that I make a practice of it but sometimes I'll buy and return yarn at different stores in a chain to try and get all of the same dye lot. Bummer this happened, hope you can find the rest of the yarn to finish your project.

That's horrible, and they should have marked that it was returned. I have bought returned yarn at walmart, but it was marked down about 25%, and since it was homespun I snatched it right up!! I do return yarn also but only when I buy the wrong color or when I bought it the day before and realized I already had too much of that color, however, I never return them if they've been used.