What does double crochet (dc) IN next dc mean?

shypo60

Question

I'm a beginner working on a scarf pattern and it's not looking like the picture. The instructions for Row 2 (after Row 1 instructs dc in each chain across) are: Ch 4, skip first 2 dc (which I understand), *dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next dc; rep from * to last st; dc in top of ch-3, turn. I don't know whether I'm supposed to dc in the space between the 'columns' created by the dcs, or am I supposed to dc in the top of the chain? Also, is the 'top' of ch 3 (at the end) counting from the hook?

Row 3 instructs Ch 3, * dc in ch-1 sp, dc in next dc; rep from * across working alst dc in 3rd ch of ch-4. I understand the last part, but the first part doesn't look right - there are too many spaces. The picture shows a 'tighter' weave, with 'holes' in the odd numbered rows. Maybe I am doing it right, but the ending side of the scarf isn't going to look like the beginning side. I'm to end with Row 9.

Thanks very much!

4 answers to this question

i know this is not going to sound right, but here i go

*dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next dc; rep from * to last st; dc in top of ch-3, turn

in row 2 you are going to do your dc in the stitch below.

actually that does sound right, surprise myself.

if you were doing single crochet the whole afghan, you'd be single crocheting in the row below or IN THE SC below

hope this helps. and if i am wrong, i so hope somebody corrects me.

When you ch 3 at the beginning of a row, it is to equal one dc.

This row is making little open "squares" or spaces:

Ch 4, skip first 2 dc The ch 4 equals one dc and one ch. *dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next dc; rep from * to last st; dc in top of ch-3, turn. I don't know whether I'm supposed to dc in the space between the 'columns' created by the dcs, or am I supposed to dc in the top of the chain? The dc goes in the top of the 'column', which is really the top of the dc from the previous row. Then you will ch 1 and skip the top of the next dc. Also, is the 'top' of ch 3 (at the end) counting from the hook? The ch3 they are talking about is the ch3 that was made in the beginning of the previous row. It's considered the first dc of that row, and since you turned the work it is now at the end. The stitch goes in the 3rd chain of that ch3.

This row is a solid row of dcs (not spaces like the last row):

Row 3 instructs Ch 3(to equal the first dc), * dc in ch-1 sp,This dc goes in the ch1 space in the row below dc in next dc as in the last row, the dc goes in the top of the dc in the row below; rep from * across continue making one dc in each dc and each ch1 sp of the previous row working alst dc in 3rd ch of ch-4 This is the ch 4 from the beginning of row 2. I understand the last part, but the first part doesn't look right - there are too many spaces. The picture shows a 'tighter' weave, with 'holes' in the odd numbered rows. Maybe I am doing it right, but the ending side of the scarf isn't going to look like the beginning side. I'm to end with Row 9. Rows 1,3,5,7,and 9 should be solid dcs and rows 2,4,6,and 8 should be *dc, ch1, sk1 across to make the holes.

Thanks very much!

Ch 4, skip first 2 dc (which I understand), *dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next dc;You will put your first dc in the 3rd dc of the previous row, then ch 1, and dc into the 5th dc (or 2nd from your last dc) rep from * to last st;You will repeat the ch 1, skip a dc, dc into the second dc, until you get to the turning chain. dc in top of ch-3, turn. I don't know whether I'm supposed to dc in the space between the 'columns' created by the dcs, or am I supposed to dc in the top of the chain?You are dc into the top of the previous dc on this row. Also, is the 'top' of ch 3 (at the end) counting from the hook? This is your turning ch 3 from the previous row.

Row 3 instructs Ch 3(turning chain), * dc in ch-1 sp, dc in next dc; rep from * across working alst dc in 3rd ch of ch-4. I understand the last part, but the first part doesn't look right - there are too many spaces. The picture shows a 'tighter' weave, with 'holes' in the odd numbered (every even numbered[2, 4, 6, & 8] row will have the holes, odd [3, 5, 7, & 9] numbered rows will be solid dc)rows. Maybe I am doing it right, but the ending side of the scarf isn't going to look like the beginning side. I'm to end with Row 9.

hope this helps

Archived