blue/purple yarn rant

:angry i love blue and purple but i hate shopping for yarn in those colors

most of them look dirty, its so annoying!!

my favorite purple yarn is pound of love, lavender

i've found a few nice ones but most just are icky (its not dye lots, ive looked at a few different dye lots next to each other)

anyone else notice this?

I too love blue & purple!!!..

the teals and the magenta's and the frosted varieties of both!..

I'm also developing an "urge" to crochet something in a frosty chocolate / caramel colour... though I've hated chocolate (the colour) since the 70's when everything was chocolate, orange & green..

hmmm...

definitely getting old methinks... my likes /dislikes are blurring ... ? alzheimers?.. maybe...

I have found this with yellows as well. They are either too bright for me or very dull in color. I combined a soft yellow with butterscotch color and together they are beautiful. I used a softer skein of yarn for one color to make it easier and less bulky.

I'm seeing blues that are sort of run of the mill (if such can be said of anything blue) and I am lucky if I see a purple/lavender/mauve that isn't furry.:scared:2nono

I have been dreaming of making a lavender afghan (Prairie Star, I hear you calling) but I don't think I could find the colours if I went out today to do so.

About the yellow. I have a TLC yarn that is really a beautiful yellow - it really is like knitting sunshine. Last week I bought a skein of a different yellow and it has this little itsy-bitsy hint of a green cast to it....it's just there and the colour is not as loving as my sunshine. Just thought it was odd is all. I hope yellows are not going bad.:lol

I will add to your rant. Purple is one of the most difficult to "coordinate". I was given a lovely purple/blue marle. There wasn't a huge amount of it so I wanted to pair it with another purple. I searched high and low and bid on several auctions on ebay. I ended up with some lovely yarns, but they were all a bit too red, or too blue. I ended up making socks because I never did find just the right purple to pair it with. But they ARE lovely socks.

It happens in Australia too. I can't find a decent blue or purple in any of the cheaper stuff. Pure wool sometimes comes in something that I like, but to but enough to make evan a small lapghan, it would cost a fortune. One mauve/lavender is too 'blue'..another is too 'pink' and the royal purple is too, um..bright (but works well if you can find matching 'brights)

Yellow? I just don't bother. Its all either baby pale yellow or that funny yellow that can look orange (daffodil?). Nothing in between.

I'm laughing because I went to the store to get some blue yarn for a baby 'ghan and all the blues there looked so weird that I scrapped the idea and did a 'ghan in a completely different color scheme. Glad to know it wasn't just my mind playing tricks. :)

Archived