A Little Gratitude

Someone provided this link to a very old house-keeping book from Canada's past:

http://tinyurl.com/gg9b7

I went through it to see and collect some great patterns. As I was going through and seeing the patterns that no longer seem to be a part of our lives I got to just thinking generally...

I remember as a child that the match holder was a goodly part of our lives - you didn't eat without matches to light the stove and you froze your little tuckus without matches to light the furnace. this book had a pattern to make a nice cover for your matches.

Our foremothers did this. They had very little but, by their own skills, they made what they had more beautiful. A beautiful new pattern or stitch would be so welcomed and used immediately for something terribly utilitarian in nature. I can remeber the sharing of patterns that went on when I was young...oh, the excitement:clap.

I also realized how very frugal they had to be and as I saw a pattern for a cape with pompoms, it occurred to me that it was an incredible luxury to put wasteful pompoms on a cape when that yarn could go a goodly ways towards making a baby blanket that might be vital to winter survival.

Now, this is the pastor preaching to the pastor here: I realize that I am so incredibly blessed in all that I have. I put considerable resources into the yarn for my Cathedral window afghan. Relatively speaking, that money in the days of the "Homework" book would have probably kept a family of 4 for who knows how long.

All of this is just to say that I am feeling so grateful to God (I'm a Christian so that is where my gratitude goes) that I have been blessed with both the skill and artistry to make my crochet projects and that I have the resources to make them.

Both Canada and the US are coming upon Thanksgiving times. Let's all just be that little bit extra grateful.

OK, someone come and get this box now...:soap

I couldn't access the page but I do appreciate your sentiments. Our home is cluttered with the over abundance of blessings we've received. I am also greatful to the good Lord for all that we have, especially when I read about how other generations had to sacrifice during the depression & times of war.

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/

Try this one then. It's how I got there.

From that openng page click on other links (lower right corner) then look in the section called

Other places to download free antique patterns:

then look for

Home Work: 1891 Canadian needlework book http://www.canadiana.org/ECO/PageView/08942/0003?id=e8542db0b9

That was the path that got me there first time out.

There is no sense in my trying this link because they all work for me.

Sorry I didn't try the link yet - time is of a premium right now BUT I agree. We are richly blessed and need to express our thanks. (As a Christian, i also express thanks to God for everything.) My husband and I are caring for his aunt, who is 89 with Alzheimer's, and it has made us realize that without her and her husband (he passed away in April) being frugal all those years, there would not be the money to be able to keep her in her home now. Makes me take a second look at what we are doing with our money now.

I haven't looked on the website yet. But you reminded me of something that happened this weekend. After looking at two stores for a christing down pattern that of corse must be done soon. We stopped at my boyfriends parents. After talking to his mom she had two nice old patterns. And when I told her granny squares were back in I thought she was going to fall off her chair.

It's definately something to think about...I have been lucky enough to find a guy that I knew I was going to marry the moment I laid eyes on him...and even luckier that he felt the same way :D..I have been blessed with two beautiful, amazingly smart little girls (being a mom has always been my life's dream and I never believed it would actually happen)...we are all healthy, we've got a roof over our heads, food in our tummies, time to enjoy together as a family, we're able to live on my his salary so I'm able to be home with our children....and he doesn't even mind when I go yarn shopping...so very very many things to be grateful for....I make myself conciously count every single good thing in my life whenever I get too stressed out and get to feeling like everything is against me, and I realize just how great I've got it!!

I think the one thing I am most grateful for is the fact that I'm aware enough to realize just how blessed my life is...:manyheart

Jessie

I'm old enough to remember string from the stores....to be used in wash cloths, flour sacks....plain ones for pillowcases, tea towels,curtains, and every once in a while there would be flowers or plaid fabric....for blouses or quilt squares, etc. grew up with a wood stove and no hydro. one of the earliest jobs I had was triming the wicks and cleaning the glass in the lamps (newspaper ) and the the newspaper was put aside for lighting the stove. We live in a throw away world . christmas was really a time of blessings...an orange if the crops had been good; raisins or apples if not. home made taffy that always stuck to the wax paper. a new pair of mittens and maybe a toy or sweater both of which would be home made. Can you imagine todays kids NOT getting the latest gadget or toy? Ironically I sell old-fashion stuff like string holders, match box covers etc at a farmers' market that will probably never get use. Its like owning a four wheel drive vehicle and living in the city....how many of them actually get dirty? I love antique quilts, clothing etc because they were used, and loved and for their history, or should I say HERSTORY? thanks for the links

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/

Try this one then. It's how I got there.

From that openng page click on other links (lower right corner) then look in the section called

Other places to download free antique patterns:

then look for

Home Work: 1891 Canadian needlework book http://www.canadiana.org/ECO/PageView/08942/0003?id=e8542db0b9

That was the path that got me there first time out.

There is no sense in my trying this link because they all work for me.

Thank You that worked for me!:clap

I also ment to say thank you for the link to this book...I've bookmarked it so that I can make several of these items....I always find it interesting to see how our foremothers did things....and it's always a nice surprise when something very practical is made into something pretty & unique, isn't it??

Jessie

Archived