Teaching Crochet

I have a chance to start giving classes for Crochet and know I saw some threads about just that thing lol I'm going to take some examples of my work along with a course plan (syllabus?? gosh college was TOO long ago! :lol ) to show what I have in mind and would adore any input anyone might have :manyheart

Firstly - You Go Girl:cheer Have a great time and share the fire:yay

I'm not quite sure what you are asking us to contribute...

- did you want us to suggest patterns that would be useful or a progression of patterns that would build skills?

- did you want us to ask you pertinent questions so you will be ready for any questions they may ask - such as, "Who supplies the materials?"

- did you want us to share expereinces of group teaching experience?

I just noticed that some people have viewed this thread but didn't respond. I wasn't sure what you were asking when I first looked so I'm guessing that others might have thought that too.

So, how can we help you?:think

Experiences teaching would be great... and I'd really like to get a plan of study I guess together to show and be able to explain the steps I'll take to get them from "this is a crochet hook" to "great job! that's a wonderful (whatever they make) lol

I thought about asking initially what they want to gain from the course, kind of a group sit down and just discuss before getting into the nitty gritty.. introducing the hooks, different kinds of yarns and what they are suitable for... stitch abbreviations and a very basic pattern... a small item that they can complete easily and gain confidence from.. right up to more advanced items and patterns... does that sound reasonable?

The supplies I believe they have to supply themselves but I'll find out more about that on Thursday when I have my interview! yay_jump.gif

I have taught classes at the LYS where I work. We keep the classes short. about 1 1/2 hours...and when they click, it's hard to keep track of time, and no-one leaves for at least another 1/2 hour! I've broken it down into 4 classes...the first one deals with slipknot, ch, and sc. class 2--dc and basic pattern reading (terminology etc), 3 is finishing and tails, maybe joining blocks, and edging, based on time/interest. 4. is working circles. Some people get through the first class' basics in 1/2 hour, but then you have an hour to practise, talk, whatever. (I start them on a scarf, discloth, or other really basic project)

That's what works for us. and people can sign up for whatever they want. We also offer project specific classes on occasion.

Introducing hooks and yarns is good at the beginning, but it can be overwhelming for a beginner...stick to the very basics for those at first.

I also reccommend keeping the classes small...5 or less. You'll want to be able to do one on one coaching, with out neglecting anyone.

Those are my thoughts, based on my personal experience...others may have different ideas. I hope I gave you something to play with though.:)

Archived