Come and see what my bush maple and I made!

jimbo

I came across this really pretty chunk of bush maple up on the crick a week ago and we (the chunk of maple and I) decided it could become a pretty handsome P hook. The grain in this one is really something.

You'd be welcome to come over to my blog and check it out.

Jimbo

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6583/2132/1600/H%20I%20P%201.jpg

oh, sure its just a P..the Guinness book hook's yet to come.

Jimbo, do I have a P hook from you yet? I don't really keep track and all... I always colored outside the lines, or I guess I crochet outside the pattern - I don't need no stinking gauge... I use the hook I FEEL like looking...

I know I have an M and an L and a J meticulously whittled by you... and I don't know what the other one is... oh, and the Paul Bunyon hook.

Whatcha think...

Actually, having two P hooks wouldn't be horrible, now, would it!:devil

Thanks guys. I got to spend a bit of time whittling while up the crick last week, and well, you see the results. Oh... and i just posted a second one too! This one is a really interesting one with a road map of little bark bug trails all over the handle.

Oh and Paulette? I'm not sure if you have a P. I'm pretty bad at keeping records. And oh its sooooo tempting to make a bad joke about P, but I'm trying to be good.

Oh and Lea, you better grab that H. H's are rare indeed. Not too many sticks like to become H's. But of course you don't want too many Q's raining down on your house too. Good luck, Kid. Raining hooks is scairy.

Thanks Catherine, its really amazing and fun to see what those little sticks can produce.... and the artwork those little Deadman Crick bugs can do under the bark. Sometimes I wonder what kind of juice they've been drinking.

Excellent hook that you made, Jimbo. I have made a couple crochet hooks by hand in a CGOA run workshop taught by Nancy Nehring. It was a lot of fun. She has taught it at the annual Chain Link conference, and I think we were the "guinea pigs" for the course.

Oh my lord, those are so gorgeous! But what's even better than those hooks is seeing how you make them! I couldn't help but read every word even though I know I'd never be able to make something as beautiful as yours!

Great job Jimbo!

Ah gee...thanks you guys.

Teaching a hook carving class at CGOA!? What a thing THAT would be to aspire to! I'd do that in a heartbeat!

The hook is absolutely beautiful. We just had to cut a tree down and we have branches everywhere but there is no way I could make a hook. You have an amazing talent. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Well thank you all for your compliments, but i really think that you could make a hook if you set about it with determination. And you could make yours to fit your own hand...an big advantage you have over me when i work from photos of customer's grip style.

Stick with it and you'll end up with a hook that will fit like a glove.

Archived