He (or She) who dies with the most yarn wins?

I just spent a typical Saturday afternoon at my part-time job as a cashier at our local Hobby-Lobby. :) This week, we had a lot of the Yarn-Bee novelty yarns on sale. Someone came up with a cartful of yarn. I proceeded to check her out. The final cost wasn't bad; it was about $60-someodd dollars. She smiled and jokingly commented that it put a dent in the budget this week. I smiled and commented that she probably bought $200 worth of yarn for only $60. (Keep in mind, this was a good-natured conversation between two crafters.) :hook

She said true, then added: "Whoever dies with the most amount of yarn in her stash wins." :rip

I commented: "Not true. Whoever makes the most with her yarn (that is whoever dies with the least amount of yarn) wins. :angel

OK fellow crocheters. Who's right?

That is a question I couldn't answer, but I did find the conversation amusing. Its nice that a crafter actually works in a craft store.

Crazy thing about that is...I only crochet. I'm trying to do a little bit of beading (with no success whatsoever :blush ). I don't know anything about silk flowers or scrapbooking (our two biggest sellers). All I know is yarn...and believe it or not, we don't sell that much of it.

Another humorous story out of HL today (not crochet-related though). Someone bought a sewing pattern from one of the major companies (I'm thinking McCalls, but I wouldn't swear to it). The pattern was in the "Sewing for Dummies" line (I think curtains, but I wouldn't swear to it). I confided to the buyer that I had a sewing machine once. Took lessons to use the machine. The only thing it got me was my car insurance cancelled. :no

It didn't help that one week after lessons, I backed my car into hers. :angry

But my favorite HL story this week, I must save until next Saturday. It involves a present being given next weekend. I'm sure the gift-givers won't mind me telling the story...they're proud of the gift. But I'll wait until next weekend...just in case the giftee is on the board.

I agree with you LadyBeBop.

It's kinda like when you see Ebay auctions from people whose Grandma/Aunt/Mom/other yarnaholic crafter relative passed away, so they were selling off their remaining stash. I do have to admit, seeing auctions like those is exciting, cuz a lot of times, it's vintage yarn. But just think how much more grand it would be to find out that the small stash you're bidding on used to belong to a world reknowned knitter or crocheter. Or someone who had a very unique style to their craft.

I'm not quite sure if that made sense like it did in my head.

I also have to go along with whoever finishes wins, since finishing means that not only did you buy the yarn, but you pulled every single inch through your fingers when crocheting!

(Now if the subject becomes "whoever dies with the most patterns - wins", then I'm definately in the running for that trophy!!)

I think we are very fortunate to have acrylic yarns to work with. One of the reasons there is so little left from our fore-mothers is that they worked with natural fibers and these decompose....you can actually compost real wool and cotton, also their projects were used. My grandmother had fourteen kids and any sweaters, socks or blankets got wore out before the last one left home. My Uncle Louis , the last one always said he would have been naked if not for hand-me-downs from the neighbors....not really true but ahead of him were mainly girls and he probably would have been dressed in frills...lol

I'd have to agree that it's the works that get finished that count the most. the patterns and yarn I've stashed away probably won't be as significant as the things that have been made - the UFO's probably won't be as appreciated either (and I'm trying not to add to THAT pile!).

We have a similar saying to that in Australia - usually applied to the male of the species - who collect and covet and whose every whim for new toys MUST be answered quickly - unless some other mate gets one first..

the saying is " he who dies with the most toys wins" ..

to which us longsuffering wives always comment..

"ah yes - but you're still DEAD... "...

you've given me the perfect saying now for when I come home with more yarn (or wool as I call it) & his lordship's nose twitches..

"ah yes honey- She who does with the most yarn wins " ... :) hehe...

About 1/3 of my walk in closet is stash and crochet mags. I wouldn't want my family to be stuck with that. My mom just got RAOKed with a big box of yarn from a man at church whoes wife died. I got my grandmother's UFO (granny squares-LOL). When I started to put them together, it brought back lots of memories. Some day I'll get it done, then I'll have something from her. It's better to finish things, and leave your family something special.

Ellie 13

We have a similar saying to that in Australia - usually applied to the male of the species - who collect and covet and whose every whim for new toys MUST be answered quickly - unless some other mate gets one first..

the saying is " he who dies with the most toys wins" ..

It's the same here. She was just putting a yarn spin on it. ;)

Oh and it goes for both men and women because women like to collect their own toys too, whatever they maybe.:lol

dear Ellie; please write down your memories of your Grandmother and her granny squares...so often these are forgotten with time. It is your memory of grandma as well as her work you want to pass onto future generations; add her picture and bio .....okay, okay enough a lecture, NOW JUST DO IT!!!! I restore antique clothing and quilts, and so often the family cannot remember why something was kept or by whom. It is the history// herstory that is as important as the article of clothing, doily or whatever.

Archived