CHARITY CROCHET: premature baby HATS!!!

Hello can anyone help me? I have seen in a British knitting magazine an appeal for premature babies' hats for hospitals and I would like to oblige but have no patterns or idea of headsize that I might need to cater for?!!!

I was blessed to have 2 daughters born exactly on time - well at 38 weeks and 38.5 weeks and weighing 9+ lbs and 6 lbs so their heads were average.:clap

Obviously head size will vary and the youngest premmies could be less than 22 weeks all the way up to 36 weeks say but can anybody help a bit?:(

At present I have started one and it's 3.5 inches in diameter and thus far 2 inches deep but i'm adding a bit more and it could of course be folded back for a brim....

I cannot find any patterns for crocheting these kind of hats?:no

If anyone knows head sizes then I 'll create my own patterns to fit, or if anyone knows of some good patterns??!!

I'm using DK or 4 ply and British 4mm or smaller hooks and can cope with USA crochet terms.

PLEASE HELP IT'S FOR CHARITY!!!!:cheer

I would recommend making a variety of sizes for donation. I have had requests for hats as small as would fit a golf ball for preemies too little to survive so I created some patterns for those and also I have been told that there are babies that are born even with 'normal' head sizes who are very ill and their families would be comforted by a handmade gift like a hat for their baby.

So when I donate I try to send a variety, then they hospital will find a head to fit the hat. There are also patterns out there for so-called ventilator bonnets too, special hats with flaps for babies that need things attached to their scalps.

Try www.carewear.org too for lots of info on preemie items...

It's sweet of you to want to help I'm sure that the hospital that receives them will be thrilled. Since you're new (sounds like) to making preemie items for donation might I pass along a couple things I've learned along the way:

You must keep the yarn clean and free of smells like pets and smoke. Hospitals will not usually use hats that have any kind of odor to them. Do not use scented soap if you wash them or anything like Febreeze (don't know if you have it in the UK) or fabric softener, it's best to wash them in dreft or other sort of specifically for babies detergent and then put them into clean zipper lock bags after drying them.

The hospitals really appreciate it when you go to the extra trouble, believe me! I've seen it with chemo caps and blankets for them too, the extra care really matters to them.

Good luck!

Ro

Archived