hooks on planes?

Are crochet hooks allowed on planes? I'm going overseas in October and I bought a plastic set in case I can't take my aluminum ones. But I'm not sure. Anyone travel with hooks lately that can tell me?

I fly about 3 times a month for my job with aluminum hooks in my carry on and I have never had a problem, and I usually crochet in-flight. I have not flown since the most recent security changes though.

generally they are allowed (exceptions are somtimes the steel ones). but you should always check with the FAA guidelines the day before flying and also contact the local airports as they all have different criteria. O'Hare may allow something that Detroit won't and vice versa.

Thats great advice! Thanks :) Would different airlines have different rules or is it the airport that sets them?

Both... Last summer when I flew the airport in South Bend, Indiana wouldn't allow my travel scissors and took them but when I left from O'Hare airport they didn't have a problem at all.

I always check the airline's websites to see what they do and don't allow. Some don't allow lighters, other's do.

For the most part they usually follow the FAA's rules and regulations, but sometimes it's the actual airline. Generally it's only in a smaller airport where that comes into play as with a big airport you get searched by the airport itself and not the carrier. In the smaller airports sometimes it's different.

I consider it all one big crap-shoot. Roll the dice and see what you come up with! LOL Good luck!!!

Definitely check the overseas airport that you will be flying out of on your return trip. I flew to hong kong this past June and crocheted the whole way with aluminum hooks but when I was returning to the US, officials at the hong kong airport wouldn't let me bring them on the plane.

I had a similar experience as ankey's; no problem with my aluminum and steel hooks on the way from US to UK and from UK to Turkey, but within Turkey and leaving Turkey, the airport security said no. Fortunately, they check for this before your checked baggage is inaccessible, so I didn't lose anything (except my mind from boredom on the long trip back with nothing to do). I've heard good advice to bring a self-addressed, stamped puffy to mail to yourself anything that gets a last minute no-go.

For cutting thread, you can use one of these Clover thread-cutter pendants instead of scissors. I assume it would work for yarn as well as thread.

Or you can use a dental floss container. You know that sharp bit you use to cut off dental floss? That'll do it.

Now I'm waiting for some enterprising soul to shave down the handle-end of a toothbrush into a crochet hook. Because you're allowed to have a toothbrush on the plane, yes? Or maybe a modified pencil. Hmmm. Maybe that's something worth designing.

I had been wondering about this myself. But then again the last time I was on a plane was April 2001. So I doubt that I'll be on one anytime too soon again. When I flew then, the local place looked at my cameras and stuff and was really nice about it. But the person in Boston was so gruff and abrupt. I have to say I wasn't too pleased when she dropped my camera and lenses in a box to hand thru the scanner. I bet if I had my hooks then she would have had a fit!

:think I just flew for work a few weeks ago and I have my plastic hooks. After going through security they didn't have a problem. But they did search my bag. I thought it would be for the hooks. Nope. It was the traveling secret that stopped them. I think they just liked the scent

Archived