Afghan ADD--can't focus

cgd

OK, I keep trying to get inspired and crochet an afghan. I've even started a couple but ended up frogging or chucking them. I figured since I can't stick to one pattern, I should do the 63 square one (or my version of it since some of those stitches in there I either can't understand or don't care for). I've got 5 squares done, and it's been fun trying to make them the same size. Experimentation (and in one case an extra row of edging) has helped. Now I'm wondering if it will look like anything in the end--I'll probably get all the squares done then mess up the joining process.

My problem is that I crochet to relax after work. I have to use my mind at work, and when I come home and relax, I like to NOT have to pay attention to every detail of life. I like sometimes to watch TV while I crochet, talk with DH and/or DS, zone out a bit, etc. This means I can't be mindful of every stitch and counting stitches in a chain of 219, fuhgeddaboutit! By the time I eliminate the afghans I don't like (not much of a granny square or bobble person) and the ones that, despite the two years of calculus I took in college, I can't understand or make it remotely resemble the picture in the pattern book, that doesn't leave much.

I've cranked out some nice caps, scarves, flowers, and dishcloths, but would like to make an afghan for mine and DH's bed. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, did you just give up on making anything but simple afghans? Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I had to keep working on it until counting and reading patterns became second nature to me. It was frustrating for a long time. I still tend to migrate towards simple projects because I, too use crochet for the purpose of tuning out my brain after work.

I hope that is somewhat helpful advice.

I used to have problems with afghans, but found a solution. I found a wonderful stitch that after you do the first row...it's easy as pie. I found it to be called many names, but one site named it V doubles. It's a V-stitch without the chain 1 in the middle. Anyway, this pattern is so easy for me. I can do it anywhere...anytime....You can make it bigger, by changing the count. Just make it even! Good luck

Here's the link:

http://www.christinascrochethaven.com/lapafghan_pattern.htm

You might give it a try.

As for ADD, I'm having it with my tote for the Fall Swap. UGH! I've frogged it 4 times now. I totally understand the ADD issue with a project.:manyheart

Thanks, ladies, it's good to know I'm not alone. The afghan pattern is neat--I've been wanting to do a double-stranded afghan, so I'll give this a try. I don't know why I think I have to be perfect at this--it's a hobby, and I need to remember that. In the meantime, no one in my family will ever be without a handmade dishcloth (or 2 or 3)!

I will type then print out the directions for a row that isn't super simple. For example, if the pattern calls for "repeat 10 times" or whatever, I retype the directions 10 times(copy and paste). Then I'll have a pen close by and just check off the part of the row I've finished. It's eliminated a lot of the frogging I used to, once I realized I couldn't concentrate....

When I successfully finish the row, I just toss my printout.

Archived