Keeping The Crochet Legacy Alive

So I posted a while back about squares that my Granny might be able to do. She's gone bling in the last couple years and now only crochets traditional Granny Squares. Well, I was thinking about it and came up with a great way to involve her in a different type of project! We're making baby blankets together to pass on to MY grandchildren! I'm making the heart center squares: http://www.heartmadeblessings.org/patterns/Centerheart.asp

They are 12 inches. She is making matching grannies! :hook I will put 4 12 inch squares in the center, and then add her grannies around the border! I'm so excited! I just want to be able to pass along something from her, designed especially for them (the future grandbabies!). :manyheart

Anyway, I just thought this was a cool idea and a great way to honor my Granny who has inspired me to all this addictive yarn stuff!! LOL.

yay Traci, what a wonderful idea. how cool will it be to say "my gran AND I did this" :D they will be so sentimental, you might want to remember to make an extra on, all for you!

That's a very sweet idea. Such memories to share and a treasure for all. I hope those "future" grandbabies will one day cherish the idea that their great-great-grandma and their grandma made this for them!

That is just great. I am sure you Granny is just bursting with pride that you want to not only do this with her, but that you want to do something to pass on.

I have things my Grandmother and Mother made. They are more special than anything that can be bought.:hook

This is a beautiful idea. It is so loving and honouring of your gramma. bless you.

Lately, as I scour around looking for the latest 'gotta make' I have been remembering my grandmother and my aunt (they taught me at 6) as they worked on the latest kick that crocheters had to make. I can still remember a pineapple/heart ringbearer pillow that simply had to be mastered.

Thanks for the memories and a great idea I might pass on to some Hope chest makers I know.

What a touching story! Thank you for sharing it. I bet your future offspring will really treasure the new family heirlooms you are making.

My grandmother was also the one who inspired me to be crafty. I have one of the beautiful afghans that she crocheted for me, and I really appreciate it; everytime I use it or look at it, it makes me think of her and smile.

What a wonderfuly idea!

My grandmother was one of two people who taught and encouraged me to crochet. She crocheted 21 afghans for her grandchildren for when they got married and she has made some of my children baby blankets when she was still able to crochet. Due to eye problems she had to give up crocheting years ago.

She just recently was put into a nursing home after having a stroke and I have felt the need more than ever to work at afghan pattern of choice. It was called Indian Pathway and she had it hand written out. I couldn't understand all of her directions but slowly I've been figuring it out.

I am working on making a smaller version of this blanket as a lap blanket for her at the nursing home.

I am a very sentimental person, I know I am blessed to still have my grandmother at 37 years old! I have done so much research on our family tree and I just think it would be very cool to have something tangible to pass down.

The other cool thing is that she had started a round (thread :eek ) pinapple table cloth many years ago. Now that she is blind and can't finish it she is giving it (and the pattern, of course) to me to complete! I'm thrilled to death... that one however will be MINE! LOL... everyone else had doilies, but not me, so now I will get the "masterpiece"...lol... if I can just finish it!:think I'm not a threadie by nature, but I have done a couple of small projects... I guess there's nothing to do now but dive in head first!

I will definately post pics as they are finished. Currently I have enough squares from her for 3 blankets. One boy, one girl, one neutral... (maybe I'm slow at crochet, but Granny made 56 squares in 3 days!!)

Archived